Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 10:45   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Anchoring while motoring in forward?

Trying hard not to rant...

Here in Greece we are treated to never-ending entertainment from the charterers. However, one thing that I have commonly seen leaves me wondering. Boats will come powering into an anchorage dropping chain as they go. When they judge they have enough chain out, they stop dropping and the boat jerks to a stop and begins to swing into the wind.

This practice seems to be independent of wind direction. I have seen them do this going upwind, downwind, and every point in between.

On our boat, this would scratch the topsides everytime. Perhaps not on a catamaran, but the charterers do this on monohulls as well.

It has been pointed out that a sailing license is required to charter a boat in Greece. So, where do these charterers learn this practice? Is it taught in some sailing school?

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 10:56   #2

Boat: Bruckmann 3/4T
Re: Anchoring while motoring in forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post

Here in Greece we are treated to never-ending entertainment from the charterers. However, one thing that I have commonly seen leaves me wondering. Boats will come powering into an anchorage dropping chain as they go. When they judge they have enough chain out, they stop dropping and the boat jerks to a stop and begins to swing into the wind.

This practice seems to be independent of wind direction. I have seen them do this going upwind, downwind, and every point in between.

On our boat, this would scratch the topsides everytime. Perhaps not on a catamaran, but the charterers do this on monohulls as well.

It has been pointed out that a sailing license is required to charter a boat in Greece. So, where do these charterers learn this practice? Is it taught in some sailing school?

Cheers!

Steve
Surely watching charters anchoring and docking is part of he entertainment laid on by the locals for the benefit of real yachties?
Lay back and smile like the locals do. If they ask for help, of course go to the rescue.
As for their skills setting an anchor for med mooring (I presume) I expect they learnt it from a comedy film - Captain Ron, was it?

cheers
waeshael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 16:16   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

This is not as silly as it sounds so long as your anchor setup will stand it.
Come in slowly, drop anchor whilst moving ahead at a knot or so in neutral,preferably downwind and put on a little helm.
When you have enough scope, snub up the chain and put on hard helm.
The boat will stop when the anchor is dug in and will swing around.
The helm is necessary to stop the chain rubbing back on the stem.
Well done, this is a neat and economical method to set an anchor.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 16:48   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You might get away with with this on a small boat with low mass. It would likely yank the windlass off our 40 ton boat or at least put ten years on the clutch and scratch up the bow, break the bow roller.

Relax, it’s a rental.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 16:55   #5

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post

Cheers!

Steve
I would hate to see the undersides of cats where this is done a lot. The chain draws up between the hulls into the locker, and if the vessel is not aligned 180 degrees with the rode at the time of snubbing it with the chain stopper, the undersides of the hulls will be scratched by the chain raking over them as the cat comes about into the wind/current. Hulls can even be scratched when retrieving the anchor chain if you don't keep the vessel true to the lay of the chain as the windlass takes it in.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:26   #6

Boat: Outremer 42

Don't rant, just sit back and enjoy!
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 10:18   #7

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by out42 View Post
Don't rant, just sit back and enjoy!
Okay, I'll pour a drink and calm down. It just irks me to see supposedly trained and licensed sailors pulling stunts like this. Having issues docking an unfamiliar boat - okay, I can relate. But trying to anchor using an absolutely poor method just drives me nuts. Especially since some poor soul owns that boat and has no idea of the damage being done to her.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 10:22   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
You might get away with with this on a small boat with low mass. It would likely yank the windlass off our 40 ton boat or at least put ten years on the clutch and scratch up the bow, break the bow roller.

Relax, it’s a rental.
It sounds like you summed it up with the last paragraph.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 10:32   #9

Boat: Cal-40

My boat has a bow pulpit and I do this style of anchoring all the time. It works like this
With boat moving slowly forward turn vessel toward direction you want chain to lay and drop anchor. Vessel is not in gear and moving about one kt or less. When anchor reaches bottom i keep feeding chain as vessel moves. As long as I feed chain it never contacts underside. Drag of chain feeding slowly stops vessel and sets anchor. Once desired scope or rod is achieved I secure chain and vessel swings into position. I have a 40ft fiberglass sloop 15 ton.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:10   #10

I have done this also, I have heard it called the "Frigate drop" it is useful in the Balaeric Island when you want to drop on a sandy bottom and avoid the sea grass as holding is bad on them and other considerations!!
noblewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

This is how I set my anchor as well, since I often sail into anchorages and my boat can't really back anyway. It's not poor seamanship--it's just a way to do it that you're not familiar with. There's more to seamanship than you can learn from books or courses, and think of it: you have learned a new anchor-setting trick that might prove useful someday.
Old 30-07-2018, 12:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

Relax, it’s a rental.
actually , the method is very common for tight anchorages on big vessels.
The idea is approach the anticipated anchoring position about two-three knots speed (steerage) over bottom and when bow is where your planned anchor wants to be, let go- simultaneously idle astern with vessel still moving about a knot while chain is let out on an open brake. When appropriate rode is out the backing motion should have the bow swinging (assuming single screw) and the chain up and down.
As the weight comes on anchor it sets the anchor as well as turns vessel to wind.current.
This also avoids opportunity for chain to tie a knot from piling up on the bottom.

If your windlass brake and deck cannot hold this load I would suggest wearing life jackets.

As far scratching hull it should not actually touch hull if done correctly.

Only negative is in very shallow waters a possibility of running over anchor.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 13:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have never anchored where I could not drive into the wind, parallel to the other boats and through the place we intend to settle into. The person on the bow scouts the bottom for sand if necessary and launches the anchor at near zero speed. Begin backing. Lay out chain until the swing is correct. Set the snubers and back down hard.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Short story . I always anchor away from everyone . I was anchored in the Bahamas years ago in a non descript 28 ft sail boat. Around 6 p the anchorage was swamped by 6 charter boats. After they settled in one dinged out to me and ask why I, was way out here. I explained scope and swinging room was important as night storms we referred to as willie wampers came through and tended to swing things a bit. Sure enough about 2 am Wille came lasted 30 minutes or so . VHF was full of chatter about being blown up on shore ect. Light came to see all 6 hard aground looking to me for a tow off , 28 ft and a atomic don' t pull 40 ft boats of . They were out of VH F range to Marsh, took one over to Cooperstown to use a land line. Next day help arrived . Made for a good show.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 16:05   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

I think it's a fun way to anchor if you are under sail. It's more tricky and often a crap shoot on where the anchor lands. If you can pull it off correctly, it's pretty cool if you don't need to start the engine to end up with a well set anchor.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, motor