Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 06:48   #31

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Dyneema Anchor Shackle

I’ve been using a 6mm soft shackle on 10mm chain for my snubber for a couple of years now. Never had one fall off. Given the varying conditions I’ve been in it is not something I even worry about now.

Another benefit is that soft shackles go smoothly over the roller so they can be attached/detached inboard, which I consider s safety feature.
Old 23-07-2018, 06:55   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I’ve been using a 6mm soft shackle on 10mm chain for my snubber for a couple of years now. Never had one fall off. Given the varying conditions I’ve been in it is not something I even worry about now.

Another benefit is that soft shackles go smoothly over the roller so they can be attached/detached inboard, which I consider s safety feature.

I have also added eye splices to our headsail sheets and attached them to the clews with soft shackles. No amount of flogging has caused them to release, nor have I ever heard of this occuring, even with the basic Kohlhoff design.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 07:29   #33

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

It's hard to argue with success, but here's a few cautions with using Dyneema/Spectra rope, whether for lines or soft shackles. Dyneema and Spectra have a critical temperature of 150 degrees, and a melting temperature of 300 degrees, 150 degrees lower than nylon. This means that these fibers will melt when enough stress is put on them or with enough friction, usually where they run over a hard item. This is why tug boats now will usually put in a long length of nylon rope- to provide stretch and to eliminate friction where the tow lines run over a hard object like a hawse hole.
For those using G4 chain, high-strength (alloy) shackles are available that fit in dimensions and match in WLL that of the chain. These shackles are available in both "anchor/bow" configuration, as well as "chain/DEE" configuration, it just takes some work to find a manufacturer and retailer that carries them. If you cannot find them locally, and you could be happy with the "anchor" configuration, give 1st chain a call, or see their web page.
Rudy Sechez
Old 24-07-2018, 08:01   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Bug View Post
... This is why tug boats now will usually put in a long length of nylon rope- to provide stretch and to eliminate friction where the tow lines run over a hard object like a hawse hole....

Please supply documentation. This is the very LAST place you would use nylon and it is not what I have seen. Practices may vary,

1. Nylon has terrible chafe resistance when wet. They do use polyurethane coated polyester and Dyneema chafe sleeves.

2. Using nylon over a chock increases movement (friction) because it stretches back and forth. Polyester or Dyneema are far better choices.

I can see that you might insert nylon in the string at some point, but it would not be right at the end.

Tags
anchor, dyneema