Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 04:36   #16

Re: Chain Marking System

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I had the plastic inserts and I was constantly loosing them.

They are now
Interesting I've never lost one but it could be the chain link and the fit
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 04:58   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I went with the red, white and blue every 25', then at 100 red and white together, back to red, white, blue every 25', then red and blue together etc.

Been considering a chain counter, I drilled the hole for it when I installed the windlass, but boy are those things expensive
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I went with the red, white and blue every 25', then at 100 red and white together, back to red, white, blue every 25', then red and blue together etc.

Been considering a chain counter, I drilled the hole for it when I installed the windlass, but boy are those things expensive
Wouldn't know what to do with a counter. When your out here full time you get so used to your own little system it's just not needed.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:58   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

With our large number of nights at anchor between haul outs (600+), we have found paint to be useless, as it wears off quite quickly. Over the years I have played with several different means marking chain to try and determine which has the best life and which is easiest to identify as the chain comes up (identifying both that a marker is present and what it is indicating).

The hard two piece plastic markers that snap together were tried first after the paint and these were the worst option. They came off quite quickly, with very few left between haulouts and were only tried once (we had to remark the chain during this period).

The next time I marked each 10m in three different ways:

1. Cable ties with long ends left.
These had about a 20-30% loss during 2 years. They were excellent in identifying a division was reached, but the chain passes too quickly to count them and it is very misleading doing this if any are lost.

2. Flexible plastic coloured markers that push in between the links.
These had a remarkably longevity. Out of 60 about 2 were missing the first two years. Using the same markers again the following 2 years, only one was lost.
As they aged the surface became grimy and if the lighting was a bit dim it was easy to miss a mark, so it was good to have cable ties or spectra line to identify a mark was there. It was quite easy to see what length it indicated if a mark was seen.
I used 5 colours in the most logical order of transitioning from one to another (also similar to snooker order). Counting them is difficult and fails if any are lost, so I simply marked a "small" number up to and including 50m (4) and a "large" number over 50 (8). These were the marks:
10m 4 white
20m 4 yellow
30m 4 green
40m 4 blue
50m 4 red
60m 8 white
70m 8 yellow
80m 8 green
90m 8 blue
100m 8 red

3. Spectra line tied to leave two 10cm long loose ends.
This had the longest life - it was used for a total of 6 years with no losses. It was thrown out last time, as it became a bit discoloured, not because it was otherwise deteriorating. It was not as good as the cable ties at identifying a division was there, but better than the plastic markers, as it was easy to see something sticking out from the chain. As with the cable ties, identifying length was difficult, so both need to be used in conjunction with the coloured plastic.

My current system is a combo of 1 and 2 - cable ties to easily alert a mark is there and soft plastic markers to easily indicate the amount of chain out.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:13   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
My plastic inserts have been in for over 3 years, haven't lost one yet.
We use the same plastic chain inserts. We anchor five months continuously each season, and now after four seasons... we lost our first plastic thingy. Cost me 25 cents to replace it.

Our chain is marked in five colors which repeat and correspond to 5:1 and 10:1 anchoring depts in meters. The Med charts are in meters.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:44   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where do you get these "thingies"?
Old 17-03-2016, 07:56   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Which plastic inserts are these?
Old 17-03-2016, 08:10   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Looks like Defender sells "thingies"
Imtra Chain Markers - 1/2"
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 08:39   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Looks like Defender sells "thingies"
Imtra Chain Markers - 1/2"

For 1/2" chain, and $15 ea? ouch, that is an expensive "thingie"

Good thing I have 5'16"
Old 17-03-2016, 09:48   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
For 1/2" chain, and $15 ea? ouch, that is an expensive "thingie"

Good thing I have 5'16"
That's for a package of 8 thingies, and I don't believe I paid more than £5 for a package of them over in the UK. So far, they've lasted over four years. How much paint and hassle would someone go through during the same period of time if they chose the painting method using five different colors?
Old 17-03-2016, 10:01   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
With our large number of nights at anchor between haul outs (600+), we have found paint to be useless, as it wears off quite quickly. Over the years I have played with several different means marking chain to try and determine which has the best life and which is easiest to identify as the chain comes up (identifying both that a marker is present and what it is indicating).

The hard two piece plastic markers that snap together were tried first after the paint and these were the worst option. They came off quite quickly, with very few left between haulouts and were only tried once (we had to remark the chain during this period).

The next time I marked each 10m in three different ways:

1. Cable ties with long ends left.
These had about a 20-30% loss during 2 years. They were excellent in identifying a division was reached, but the chain passes too quickly to count them and it is very misleading doing this if any are lost.

2. Flexible plastic coloured markers that push in between the links.
These had a remarkably longevity. Out of 60 about 2 were missing the first two years. Using the same markers again the following 2 years, only one was lost.
As they aged the surface became grimy and if the lighting was a bit dim it was easy to miss a mark, so it was good to have cable ties or spectra line to identify a mark was there. It was quite easy to see what length it indicated if a mark was seen.
I used 5 colours in the most logical order of transitioning from one to another (also similar to snooker order). Counting them is difficult and fails if any are lost, so I simply marked a "small" number up to and including 50m (4) and a "large" number over 50 (8). These were the marks:
10m 4 white
20m 4 yellow
30m 4 green
40m 4 blue
50m 4 red
60m 8 white
70m 8 yellow
80m 8 green
90m 8 blue
100m 8 red

3. Spectra line tied to leave two 10cm long loose ends.
This had the longest life - it was used for a total of 6 years with no losses. It was thrown out last time, as it became a bit discoloured, not because it was otherwise deteriorating. It was not as good as the cable ties at identifying a division was there, but better than the plastic markers, as it was easy to see something sticking out from the chain. As with the cable ties, identifying length was difficult, so both need to be used in conjunction with the coloured plastic.

My current system is a combo of 1 and 2 - cable ties to easily alert a mark is there and soft plastic markers to easily indicate the amount of chain out.

SWL
Great information, and especially clever to mark in a way which creates redundancy AND does not lose information if a couple of marks are lost . Brilliant.

I'll consider something like that when my paint wears off.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 10:14   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That's for a package of 8 thingies, and I don't believe I paid more than £5 for a package of them over in the UK. So far, they've lasted over four years. How much paint and hassle would someone go through during the same period of time if they chose the painting method using five different colors?

I used three colors, have no idea how long the paint will last, but to duplicate it with the "thingies" I'd need three packages of $15 thingies, so that's $45 and shipping. Which for me is too much as I'm a cheap Bastid

Plus I have 5/16" chain anyway, before the windlass I had pieces of duct tape like tags on the chain marking it, length written on the tape with sharpie, I assume the windlass may "eat" that though.
Although I've been known to throw out enough chain so it looks right too, and from what I get on here, I have always laid out too much scope anyway, but I've almost always anchored in thin water, with almost non existent tides compared to a lot of places too, so I do have a lot to learn.
Old 17-03-2016, 10:21   #28
cruiser

Dock head,

To simplify anchoring, do this with the plastic thingies...

First add 6ft to the first marking, so at 36ft mark yellow.
Red at 60ft
Green at 90
Blue at 120
Yellow at 150
Red at 180
Green 210
Etc

Then, when you anchor in 12-15ft... Let out to red, green or blue depending on scope desired. These will be your most common scopes. If conditions warrant a 10:1, then just let out to the second set of marks of the same color. The reason for 30,60, 90 120 etc. is that it corresponds with fathoms and meters which are indicated on your charts or depth sounder in relation to scope. Example: at 15ft depth, 90ft gives you 6:1 without calculating. Or at 12ft depth which is common for anchoring on our boat... Red gives us 5:1 or green gives us 7.5:1, blue 10:1.

Anchoring becomes a no-brainer, no more calculations or counting marks.
It couldn't be any easier.... We pull into an anchorage, the depth is twelve feet.... "Green," the next day.... Depth 18ft or so... "Blue." Easy! "
Old 17-03-2016, 10:28   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dock head,

To simplify anchoring, do this with the plastic thingies...

First add 6ft to the first marking, so at 36ft mark yellow.
Red at 60ft
Green at 90
Blue at 120
Yellow at 150
Red at 180
Green 210
Etc

Then, when you anchor in 12-15ft... Let out to red, green or blue depending on scope desired. These will be your most common scopes. If conditions warrant a 10:1, then just let out to the second set of marks of the same color. The reason for 30,60, 90 120 etc. is that it corresponds with fathoms and meters which are indicated on your charts or depth sounder in relation to scope. Example: at 15ft depth, 90ft gives you 6:1 without calculating. Or at 12ft depth which is common for anchoring on our boat... Red gives us 5:1 or green gives us 7.5:1, blue 10:1.

Anchoring becomes a no-brainer, no more calculations.
Clever!

If I'd thought of that 10 years ago, I might be using it. As it is, my brain is now hardwired to how much chain is out. With your system I would have to calculate backwards to know that!

Truth be told, I probably don't even to know more than how many shots are out, maximum half-shots, so I could probably get rid of much of the marking. I don't think there's any point in precise calculations of scope. Half shots would be 15 meters.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 10:32   #30

Boat: Beneteau 311. 32 ft

Anchor Buddies – cable coding | Westview Sailing These are good.
Brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote