Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 08:01   #1

Boat: Manta 42 "Calypso"
Icon Help + Marking Read Mail

Ok folks, I'm relatively new to this forum, but LOVE it! Tons of great info, especially helpful in our final decision on which boat to buy. (Manta 42 Cat) BUT, I'm having a hard time figuring out all the icons on the sides. I THINK they mean something, but not sure.
Column 1: Envelope - Closed, Open, Arrow-Open, Arrow-Closed;
Column 2: Arrow, ?, Light bulb, bar chart, ???????
Column 3: Thread - ok, I think I get that
Column 4: Rating - I think this means that the 'pros' have bothered to rate the post...

And is there any way for me to checkmark posts I want to continue to follow?
Is there someway to checkmark a post I've read and might find useful later?
Or a way to mark one that I want to ignore in future?

Thanks!
Cheers!
PHIL+MARYANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 11:30   #2

I have not been able to identify any specific meaning for the icons. If you tell your browser not to load images, you sometimes see text where the icons are, but sometimes you don't.

You can bookmark a post just like you would bookmark any web page.

I haven't found a way to hide uninteresting posts.

If you click on "New Posts" in that blue bar across the top of the page, it will show you all the posts that have new messages since last time you <something>. I can't tell for sure exactly what <something> is, but I think it is <read any message on the site>. It shows the thread with the most recent post first.

Later in the list, you will find threads that have new posts that you did not read.

Here is how I use the site:

If you always click "New Posts", the result is that you see a list of all the threads with new posts. Page through it reading the posts that look interesting. Use your browser's "open link in new window" to read a thread, so the original list stays in the original window. This keeps the order of the threads from changing. (If you have to click "New Posts" again, it starts the search over and you get them in a new order because other people are posting while you are reading.)

Click the small icon immediately to the left of the thread title to jump to the first unread message. Click the title of the thread to start at the beginning.

There is a "Mark Forums Read" menu item on the "Quick Link" button at the top of the page. It marks everything read as of the time you select it. This is NOT what you want. Say you use "New Posts" to read all the new posts you are interested in. While you are reading, somebody else posts something interesting to a thread that you already read today. If you "Mark Forums Read", you will never see that post -- it was marked as unread when you select that menu item. (I'm fairly certain that I have seen this happen.)

The good news is that you don't need "Mark Forums Read". Old posts just settle to the end of the search result where you never see them. That is, you read all the new stuff and when you get to old messages in the "New Posts" search, you just stop reading.
Old 24-06-2006, 07:37   #3

Boat: Manta 42 "Calypso"
Mark,
Thanks for your input. It's getting a little clearer to me!
PHIL+MARYANNE is offline   Reply With Quote