Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 11:11   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Anchor chain jumps, Anchor drops back down

I have problems when bringing up my anchor (60# Manson Supreme) that when it gets onto the roller and tips that the chain goes slack and jumps out of the windlass and the whole thing drops back down into the water. I normally prevent this by hooking my boat hook on the roll bar when it comes over the roller and slowly bumping the windlass motor. But this take a bit of body twisting and one of these days when it is choppy out I'm going over the side.

Is there a good answer to this problem? Would a pivoting assembly be the answer? Or an anchor chain stop?
Old 24-09-2014, 11:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: anchor chain jumps, anchor drops back down

I assume you have a vertical windlass.

If I understand the problem correctly you need something to keep the chain down so that it feeds fairly into the gypsy.

There are two ways of doing this. One is with a separate anchor roller mounted on deck but with chain feeding underneath the roller. Normally this roller does not do a thing but as the anchor is retrieved and the shank sticks up in the air the roller will keep chain parallel to the deck.

The second way is with a chain stopper. This will also restrict the chain rising.

Oh and you can put your foot on the chain, but I would not recommend this.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 11:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: anchor chain jumps, anchor drops back down

You can see in this photo how a chain stopper keeps the lead to the gypsy horizontal as well as serving its primary function as a one way clutch fit the chain. This is on a FPB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	88725  
Old 24-09-2014, 11:53   #4
CLOD

Re: Anchor chain jumps, Anchor drops back down

I see that and have thought about installing one. I'm sure it does a good job of taking the load off a windlass, it is a little questionable to me on whether it would catch if the chain/anchor sudden when into a free fall.
Old 24-09-2014, 12:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

So is the problem caused by the slack or the change in the angle when the anchor shaft tilts up, or both?

You could rig some kind of temporary fairlead or maybe a piece of old rope across the bow over the chain to hold the chain down during the flip up to see if that helps the problem.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:12   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The reason for the suggestion of the chain stopper is that by keeping the chain parallel to the gypsy it should prevent the chain jumping off, which I understand is causing the problem.

An extra roller will do the same job, but a chain stopper has a dual purpose.
Old 24-09-2014, 12:30   #7

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Like SkipMac I'm not clear if the slack or the chain angle to the windlass is causing the chain to jump the wheel. I'm guessing the slack happens when the anchor rotates from vertical to horizontal in the anchor roller. If that is the cause then the chain stopper might not prevent the chain from jumping, but it would (assuming it is a robust stopper) prevent the chain running free and dropping the anchor back in the water. A well-made stopper should hold the chain after only a few links have run out.
If the problem is the chain angle then a chain stopper like that in Noelex77's pic should keep the chain at a proper angle to the wheel.
BTW, do you have a vertical windlass? If we've all missed the point a picture of your setup might help.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:32   #8

Boat: Seapiper 35

I suspect the chain wheel on your windless is worn.
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:37   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

A simple (cheap) solution would be to replace the boathook method with a short line and a hook. Just before the shank gets to the roller, hook onto the roll bar and make the line fast to a cleat. This will prevent the anchor free falling if the chain jumps off the gypsy.

If you can, it's best to manhandle the anchor over the roller. I do this with a 45# Manson Supreme. Your 60 pounder might be a bit more difficult. I don't like using the windlass to home the anchor as I'm afraid it might jam the roller (no swivel just a big shackle) and tear it off!
Old 24-09-2014, 12:42   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Photos?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:47   #11
CLOD

[QUOTE=skipmac;1636594]So is the problem caused by the slack or the change in the angle when the anchor shaft tilts up, or both?

seems to be when the shaft drops to the horizontal from the vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
A simple (cheap) solution would be to replace the boathook method with a short line and a hook.

yes I have a short line on the roll bar that I can also grab
It seems the problem is when the chain goes slack when it tips into the horizontal from the vertical when coming over the roller the chain kind of "bounces" just enough for the chain to jump out of the gypsy (vertical windlass). I can normally control it by real short windlass bursts, but have taken to hooking it with the boat boat as had it free fall a couple of times.
Old 24-09-2014, 13:15   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Don, I suppose Your anchor roller is quite simple arrangement with single roller wheel, where the anchor rotate over it. Am I right?
If so, have a look if it is at all possible for You to switch into two roller wheels arrangement, with roller wheels rotating together (one down, while the other up) on the axis mounted between the vertical plates of the bow fitting. This is much safer and somehow "tendier" arrangement. Unhappily I have no good photo available, and may be I'm unclear with my rotten English - sorry.

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 13:36   #13
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Don, I suppose Your anchor roller is quite simple arrangement with single roller wheel, where the anchor rotate over it. Am I right?
If so, have a look if it is at all possible for You to switch into two roller wheels arrangement, with roller wheels rotating together (one down, while the other up) on the axis mounted between the vertical plates of the bow fitting. This is much safer and somehow "tendier" arrangement. Unhappily I have no good photo available, and may be I'm unclear with my rotten English - sorry.

Cheers,

Tomasz
I think I have a 2 roller arrangement already (I'm 90% sure but have that CRAFT brain thing). I've considered moving 1 of the roller further back, but this problem normally only occurs to me each time I bring the anchor up, but in the early spring boat project time I don't even remember it.
Old 24-09-2014, 14:40   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think I have a 2 roller arrangement already (I'm 90% sure but have that CRAFT brain thing). I've considered moving 1 of the roller further back, but this problem normally only occurs to me each time I bring the anchor up, but in the early spring boat project time I don't even remember it.
You are talking two roller wheels side by side, or two roller wheels in tandem (chain and anchor shank using both of them)???
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 15:50   #15
CLOD

tandem

Tags
anchor