Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2021, 08:15   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?

I have a 1 year old electric start Tohatsu 9.8. Has never had a problem starting it. BUt I did learn from my last outboard to only use the ethanol free gas and to made sure that the gas tank vent gets shut and the spare jug does not get water into it from rain etc.

But a cruiser learning to take their outboard carb apart, clean it, reinstall in 20 minutes, is just part of the learning curve.

Sometimes throwing more money at something doesn't really make it better.
Old 13-01-2021, 08:42   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
The Merc and Tohatsu is the same motor and that throws the Merc out. I would do #3. To get EFI is another $400 at $2400. Which is nice, you'll notice EFI motors have less trouble with junk gas. The reason is you're pushing it thru under pressure and not relying on a venturi effect to pull the gas thru.
There are still a lot of people who don’t realize that Tohatsu makes the small outboard engines for several brands. All they do is slap a different name on the cowling, essentially.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 09:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
If the 2019 model is still carbureted, I'd pick that over the fuel injected model in a heartbeat. Carbs are simpler for you to maintain yourself and when it does have issues easier for you to fix without specialized tools. And easier to fix in the middle of nowhere!

a 1hr drive is nothing. That's just a trip to the boat from my home anyway!

Notice that no one is recommending the Merc!
If you like working on engines then I'd definitely get the carbureted If you just want it to run then I'd get EFI. Yes, when something goes wrong with EFI, the fuel injection pump and injectors are way more expensive than a carb kit. However, other than a throttle position sensor, I've never changed any EFI component on any engine that I've had (15+). However, with carbs, I can't count the number of carb kits I've gone through on lawn mowers and outboards I've had to take apart. And sync'ing multiple carbs on a motorcycle? What a PITA, I never want to do that again.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 09:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
But a cruiser learning to take their outboard carb apart, clean it, reinstall in 20 minutes, is just part of the learning curve.

And you walked barefoot in the snow uphill both ways to school when you were a kid...and you liked it!!!

I've cleaned carbs and I've had fuel injected...unless it's cost prohibitive, I'll skip the learning curve and have a motor that just starts and runs without special care.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 09:36   #20

Boat: Leopard 45

I'd go with the 1 hr drive for $1500. Once out of the box and two times around the marina the new Tohatsu would have been the same as the slightly used one anyway. You will also get a chance to test it before you buy it and meet the owner. you may even find a few scratches on the cowling that may give you a few hundred more in deductions.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 12:15   #21

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

If the Merc has the shift on the tiller handle vs on the engine I would vote for the Merc. It make shifting Sooooo much easier. Otherwise go for any of the Tohatsus. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 12:54   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

BLUF: Go for a 2 stroke for lightness, durability, and repairability (and no timing belt), or EFI for reliability.

My friend and I both have a Nissan 15hp 4 stroke, which it's exactly the same as the Tohatsu 15 but with a dark blue paint and different stickers. It is carburated and both of us have so many issues with the carb from fuel. I guess we just don't use it enough? We both run them dry when done, always use fuel stabilizer (can't get ethanol free fuel here). For $200 for a new carb, this time it's not worth cleaning. I'm pretty sure that's not the same motor as the 9.8hp Tohatsu though, so this is just anecdotal. I'm looking to replace it for either a 2 stroke, or a lighter model with EFI as it's 120lbs and too heavy to put on the railing.

The Tohatsu 9.9EFI is the same as the 15 and 20, and the same as the 15 and 20 Merc (Merc doesn't sell it as a 9.9?). So they all weigh around 95lbs. Suzuki also makes small EFI motors, weighing about the same. They are not built by Tohatsu. If you go with the EFI, it's about $500 for a new ECU and the restrictor in the intake to go up in power.

Personally, I'm tired of dealing with taking out the carb, cleaning it, losing parts, busting my knuckles. I just want an engine that starts! My 2 stroke Merc 25 (2001) has been giving me range anxiety because the carb, and something else in the ignition system is screwed up (and intermittent). I also have a vacuum leak somewhere, so I need an external electric fuel pump to keep it running. I haven't put the boat in the water since 2017 because I don't trust the outboard anymore. I'm looking to replace that one with a 25hp Suzuki. Even though it's significantly heavier (125 vs 155) and I'd love to keep it, the cost to get it to the point I trust it is growing. And not having to deal with the carb anymore may well be worth it (plus I get power tilt and trim). I won't even notice the reduction in speed because I'm pretty sure the Merc isn't making 25 hp anymore. Plus, you can plug the EFI motors into a computer to help diagnose. That's a big plus in this "remove and replace" days of repair instead of actually diagnosing the problem. After paying a Merc dealer to try and solve the problems (apparently by R&R), I'm left with a less reliable motor than when I gave it to them.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 14:14   #23

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

word to the wise; new doesnt mean problem free; I bought a new yamaha dinghy mtr from a dealer, first thing i noticed is the fuel pissing out of the filler cap because the 'o' ring had instantly perished on first exposure to petrol! Dealer shrugged and said 'sorry we dont have that part'. Easier to fix it myself than try and get the dealer to do anything - lesson learned.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 14:46   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

most 9.8's or 9.9's are really de-tuned 15's...same identical engine, same weight, same, everything, just jetted slightly differently...

have you ever wondered at the " 9.9" number.. ???....why not 10....much simpler...you don't see 150.3 hp....just plain 150, etc..

that came about as area inland lakes have a 10 hp MAX engine...engine manufactures didn't want to make a specific 9.9 hp engine.....they simply took a 15, lowered the rev's by about 500....and voila....9.9 hp...

secondly, I don't know where you do your boating....but I'd pick a model that has a strong dealer representative in your area....around here it's " Yamaha"....probably 90% of outboards around here are Yamaha, some Suzuks, and the odd Merc..'jes sayin'...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 14:49   #25
Marine Service Provider

whatever outboard you get......run it on non-ethanol fuel....yep, pain in the arse, but nearly as painful as you new engine getting gummed up and quitting.
Old 13-01-2021, 14:49   #26
Marine Service Provider

"not" nearly...
Old 13-01-2021, 14:58   #27

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I would get a brand new tohatsu 9.9. With FUEL INJECTION.

There is really no substitute for that. Anything with the carburetor will give you trouble sometime down the road. So, I’m not sure if the other models have one, but I have the new Tohatsu too and I love it. It works perfectly.

This is not a place to cheap out at all. Don’t try to save $400. Because there is a reason usually that people are selling some thing. Especially something like that. They probably put bad gas in the carburetor and got it just running enough, and there you go with a new problem that wastes a ton of your time.

And people know that you’re not going to pack this thing into a car and drive ours an hours away to bring it in for service. I feel like sometimes they are counting on that. I find as a cruiser that warrantees are basically useless. Because I am nowhere that I can get the thing fixed. Under warranty. Plus, I need it to get back-and-forth from the boat.

They don’t tend to give out loaner outboards when yours is broken.

Just not worth all of the hassles to save $400.
I Just bought one of these from Defender and it is sweet so far. Still breaking it in. Smooth!
Old 13-01-2021, 15:16   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And you walked barefoot in the snow uphill both ways to school when you were a kid...and you liked it!!!

nope, that would be crazy!
Old 13-01-2021, 15:18   #29

5) new Yamaha
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 15:25   #30

6) Suzuki efi. No carb to deal with and is the lightest 4 stroke in its class.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor