Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 12:46   #46

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
most 9.8's or 9.9's are really de-tuned 15's...same identical engine, same weight, same, everything, just jetted slightly differently...

have you ever wondered at the " 9.9" number.. ???....why not 10....much simpler...you don't see 150.3 hp....just plain 150, etc..

that came about as area inland lakes have a 10 hp MAX engine...engine manufactures didn't want to make a specific 9.9 hp engine.....they simply took a 15, lowered the rev's by about 500....and voila....9.9 hp...

secondly, I don't know where you do your boating....but I'd pick a model that has a strong dealer representative in your area....around here it's " Yamaha"....probably 90% of outboards around here are Yamaha, some Suzuks, and the odd Merc..'jes sayin'...
9.9 and 15 horsepower 2 strokes are basically the same engine. With four strokes The 8 and 9.8 are the same engine. 15 and 20 are the same engine. You can go by cc's but what's important to most people is the weight. 90 lb versus 120 or more (average).
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:07   #47

Having worked on Outboard’s professionally since I was 13 years old I’ll tell you the truth.
There is only 2 Outboard’s I would ever consider. A Yamaha or a Honda.
Nothing else compares.
You listed several USED Outboard’s for sale, ever ask yourself WHY they are for sale?
Bye the way, I’m almost 70 years old.
Don’t waste your money buying someone else’s problem.
sailorman14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 15:26   #48

Boat: Catalina 27

I will second Sailorman14's opinion. The short version is: I have maintained a small fleet of motors that included every one of the motors the Original Poster listed, the 9.9 Tohatsu EFI and the 15 hp Mercury 4 stroke. When I bought a 9.9 for myself, I bought Yamaha.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 18-01-2021, 15:36   #49

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
9.9 and 15 horsepower 2 strokes are basically the same engine. With four strokes The 8 and 9.8 are the same engine. 15 and 20 are the same engine. You can go by cc's but what's important to most people is the weight. 90 lb versus 120 or more (average).
The 9.8hp 26kg is a 1 zylinder 2 stroke engine is based on the 8hp. Lowest weight of a 9.8hp, 2 or 4 stroke.
This plus a highfield ultralite gives you a hard botrom 290cm dingy with 9.8hp that weights 55kg...you cannot beat that. The 30kg +x kg less than a standard 260cm hard bottom plus a 4 stroke 9.9hp will make up the difference to a even heavier 15hp outboard. Weight matters more then hp here
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 06:57   #50

Warning on that engine. I owned a 2019 merc 20hp EFI that is made by tohatsu. It had such bad vibration through the tiller handle my arm would go numb. I think to try and lesson the vibration they used very soft engine mounts. The mounts were so soft they let the engine move side to side at high speed hitting metal to metal on the mount itself. Took it to a merc dealer and they said others are complaining of the same thing and no fix was available. I sold the engine cheap on Craigslist, and then bought a Yamaha.
teriann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 09:28   #51

Boat: WorldCat 230 DC

Great Thread! Thanks.

So I have not yet bought my dream boat, much less the dingy. However, I am looking to visit the manufacturer of the boat next month and if all goes well I will place the order.

The process of deciding on a boat (as you all know) is endless research and thinking. After intellectualizing everything about the main boat, you quickly move to other things like the dingy and from there to the dingy motor.

I am 61 (and change) years old, in good shape and still strong. However (and unfortunately), 70 is not really that far away. I expect my physical self to be somewhat different in 8+ years. Therefore, I am thinking one of the top considerations is weight.

In the Yamaha line, the 9.9 and 8 hp weight the same at 87lbs. The 6hp is only 59lbs (about 2/3rs of the bigger engines). At this weight, I am sure I have a 15 yr run at being able to move it around easily.

The dingy I am looking at is the Walker Bay 270 SLR. I would love your thoughts about this being pushed by a 6hp. Expected use case is myself and my wife ... ~300lbs max between the two of us (with me being most of that).

In my tiny brian, the 6 seems to be the optimal tradeoff between weight and performance.

All thoughts welcome and thanks in advance.

Vizsla_Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 09:41   #52

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizsla_Buddy View Post
Great Thread! Thanks.

So I have not yet bought my dream boat, much less the dingy. However, I am looking to visit the manufacturer of the boat next month and if all goes well I will place the order.

The process of deciding on a boat (as you all know) is endless research and thinking. After intellectualizing everything about the main boat, you quickly move to other things like the dingy and from there to the dingy motor.

I am 61 (and change) years old, in good shape and still strong. However (and unfortunately), 70 is not really that far away. I expect my physical self to be somewhat different in 8+ years. Therefore, I am thinking one of the top considerations is weight.

In the Yamaha line, the 9.9 and 8 hp weight the same at 87lbs. The 6hp is only 59lbs (about 2/3rs of the bigger engines). At this weight, I am sure I have a 15 yr run at being able to move it around easily.

The dingy I am looking at is the Walker Bay 270 SLR. I would love your thoughts about this being pushed by a 6hp. Expected use case is myself and my wife ... ~300lbs max between the two of us (with me being most of that).

In my tiny brian, the 6 seems to be the optimal tradeoff between weight and performance.

All thoughts welcome and thanks in advance.

It depends a lot more on how you plan to use the dinghy.

Will you be up close to your dinghy docks or landings? Just put putting your way in? Or will it be a mile or two from the boat to the destination on plane?

I’d base my decision off how you want to use the dinghy and choose based on that.

After you decide what kind of dinghy setup you need for cruising (not factoring in age)..

THEN figure out how to use mechanical advantage to move that motor around IF you become too weak to move it.

A small crane on the stern with an electric winch could keep you cruising to 100, lifting the dinghy motor , provisions, etc.

So don’t choose based on something that might happen 8 years from now. Choose based on how you will be using the dinghy.

And my 2 cents: just get a high quality Hypalon RIB and 9.9. You’ll be VERY happy you did.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 09:50   #53

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

If you install a dinghy crane the issue of 6 vs 9.8+ weight becomes moot. I previously had a 9' RIB and have since moved up to a 10'5" aluminum RIB with a 9.8 ES. I found 9' to be wet in a chop and very limited in capacity vs actual need. A consideration is the davit capacity and foredeck space for offshore if you are so inclined. BTW, the ladies enjoy an electric start. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 09:53   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It depends a lot more on how you plan to use the dinghy.

Will you be up close to your dinghy docks or landings? Just put putting your way in? Or will it be a mile or two from the boat to the destination on plane?

I’d base my decision off how you want to use the dinghy and choose based on that.

After you decide what kind of dinghy setup you need for cruising (not factoring in age)..

THEN figure out how to use mechanical advantage to move that motor around IF you become too weak to move it.

A small crane on the stern with an electric winch could keep you cruising to 100, lifting the dinghy motor , provisions, etc.

So don’t choose based on something that might happen 8 years from now. Choose based on how you will be using the dinghy.

And my 2 cents: just get a high quality Hypalon RIB and 9.9. You’ll be VERY happy you did.
Great point and thanks. I should have included this in my original description.

I anticipate very little "cruising" in the dingy. It will largely be be used for getting from anchorage (or mooring ball) to shore. I anticipate doing the "Great Loop" and that never leaves me far from shore (also looking to do the Alaskan Inner Passage). There will likely be some tributaries that I want to explore, but the will be the exception.

My home cruising grounds is the Chesapeake. There the dingy will be to get from anchorage to one of the many islands that are fun to walk. This will never be more than a couple hundred yards off shore.

My real question is: Anyone have experience with a dingy this size being pushed by a 6hp? Would love your input.
Old 19-01-2021, 09:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
If you install a dinghy crane the issue of 6 vs 9.8+ weight becomes moot. I previously had a 9' RIB and have since moved up to a 10'5" aluminum RIB with a 9.8 ES. I found 9' to be wet in a chop and very limited in capacity vs actual need. A consideration is the davit capacity and foredeck space for offshore if you are so inclined. BTW, the ladies enjoy an electric start. JMHO
The issue is not getting it on and off the boat so much as general handling of the motor. The boat I am looking at has the coolest davit system and will lift boat and motor out of the water in 30 secs. Doesn't mean I am going to cruise that way. Will like detach the motor from the dingy frequently.

I am really asking about performance of a 6hp.
Old 19-01-2021, 09:58   #56

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The first engine I had on my 9' RIB was 6 HP. It was an Aluminum hull RIB that only weighed 57 Lbs. It had trouble fighting wind and waves with 2 onboard and made for a very wet ride.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor