Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Which dinghy motor would you pick? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/which-dinghy-motor-would-you-pick-245043.html)

Paddler 12-01-2021 21:05

Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Looking to pick up a 10hp 4 stroke pull start 15" outboard for my dinghy. Technically, they are all the same motor. Which one seems the best bang for the buck plus distance?

1) New 2021 Toh 9.8hp 5 yr warranty shipped = $2050
2) Used 2019 Toh 9.8hp (20hrs) 5yr warranty, 3hr drive = $1,650
3) Used 2019 Toh 9.8hp (20hrs) 3yr warranty, 1hr drive = $1,500
4) Used 2020 Merc 9.9hp (6hrs) 3 yr warranty, 8hr drive =$1,500

grantmc 12-01-2021 21:29

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
The new one.
When I pull the cord it has to fire.
And it's only 500 boat bucks more, delivered to the boat.
You get to follow the manufacturers instructions for running it in, using correct runing in mix to the letter.
And if it turns to custard that warrantee might be very handy.

20 hours, 6 hrs really?
And do the second hand units have hour metres fitted?
I know they're an optional extra on some Tohatsu, but could have been fitted last week.

Who sells an outboard in great condition that runs well? Santa maybe?

Uncle Bob 13-01-2021 01:02

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grantmc (Post 3319275)
The new one.
When I pull the cord it has to fire.
And it's only 500 boat bucks more, delivered to the boat.
You get to follow the manufacturers instructions for running it in, using correct runing in mix to the letter.
And if it turns to custard that warrantee might be very handy.

20 hours, 6 hrs really?
And do the second hand units have hour metres fitted?
I know they're an optional extra on some Tohatsu, but could have been fitted last week.

Who sells an outboard in great condition that runs well? Santa maybe?



Ahh, a cynic after my own heart, If the second hand units "had" more hours I would perhaps consider them but 6 ?
New would be my go if finances were agreeable.

sailorboy1 13-01-2021 05:37

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
I would get #3

ranger42c 13-01-2021 05:42

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddler (Post 3319266)
Looking to pick up a 10hp 4 stroke pull start 15" outboard for my dinghy. Technically, they are all the same motor. Which one seems the best bang for the buck plus distance?

1) New 2021 Toh 9.8hp 5 yr warranty shipped = $2050
2) Used 2019 Toh 9.8hp (20hrs) 5yr warranty, 3hr drive = $1,650
3) Used 2019 Toh 9.8hp (20hrs) 3yr warranty, 1hr drive = $1,500
4) Used 2020 Merc 9.9hp (6hrs) 3 yr warranty, 8hr drive =$1,500

What's your time worth? Were it me, I'd just have a new one delivered and call it good. The extra cost I would have paid for the additional 2 years warranty would just be gravy.

Don't know anything about those motors, but I wouldn't pick anything that's not EFI.


Quote:

Originally Posted by grantmc (Post 3319275)
20 hours, 6 hrs really?
And do the second hand units have hour metres fitted?
I know they're an optional extra on some Tohatsu, but could have been fitted last week.

Some of the newer engines can give an hours read-out via the diagnostic software. At least our Suzuki (from 2013/14) was like that...

-Chris

valhalla360 13-01-2021 06:30

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorboy1 (Post 3319380)
I would get #3

Yep, unless there is something obvious, a 1yr old motor should be pretty darn reliable.

Chotu 13-01-2021 06:45

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
I would get a brand new tohatsu 9.9. With FUEL INJECTION.

There is really no substitute for that. Anything with the carburetor will give you trouble sometime down the road. So, I’m not sure if the other models have one, but I have the new Tohatsu too and I love it. It works perfectly.

This is not a place to cheap out at all. Don’t try to save $400. Because there is a reason usually that people are selling some thing. Especially something like that. They probably put bad gas in the carburetor and got it just running enough, and there you go with a new problem that wastes a ton of your time.

And people know that you’re not going to pack this thing into a car and drive ours an hours away to bring it in for service. I feel like sometimes they are counting on that. I find as a cruiser that warrantees are basically useless. Because I am nowhere that I can get the thing fixed. Under warranty. Plus, I need it to get back-and-forth from the boat.

They don’t tend to give out loaner outboards when yours is broken.

Just not worth all of the hassles to save $400.

ABJ87 13-01-2021 06:52

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Isnít the new 9.8 the fuel injected model? It would sure push me in that direction.

valhalla360 13-01-2021 07:02

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABJ87 (Post 3319431)
Isnít the new 9.8 the fuel injected model? It would sure push me in that direction.

If the 2021 is fuel injected, that would go against the OP's stipulation that they are identical and would definitely change the calculus.

Bill O 13-01-2021 07:10

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotu (Post 3319428)
I would get a brand new tohatsu 9.9. With FUEL INJECTION.

There is really no substitute for that. Anything with the carburetor will give you trouble sometime down the road. So, I’m not sure if the other models have one, but I have the new Tohatsu too and I love it. It works perfectly.


Just looked and matching the price to the 2021 9.8 listed above it has a carb and isn't fuel injected. https://onlineoutboards.com/products...outboard-motor


Now the new 9.9 does have EFI (electronic fuel injection) and agree it would be the way to go if you were going to get a 4 stroke. https://www.tohatsu.com/marine/int/o...s/MFS9.9E.html

pcmm 13-01-2021 07:11

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
If the 2019 model is still carbureted, I'd pick that over the fuel injected model in a heartbeat. Carbs are simpler for you to maintain yourself and when it does have issues easier for you to fix without specialized tools. And easier to fix in the middle of nowhere!

a 1hr drive is nothing. That's just a trip to the boat from my home anyway!

Notice that no one is recommending the Merc!

Bill O 13-01-2021 07:17

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by valhalla360 (Post 3319439)
If the 2021 is fuel injected, that would go against the OP's stipulation that they are identical and would definitely change the calculus.


Was actually surprised about the weight difference of the EFI model vs the carb model. It appears the EFI model is 14 pounds heavier.

valhalla360 13-01-2021 07:24

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmm (Post 3319443)
Notice that no one is recommending the Merc!

8hr drive knocked it out of the running:
- 2 full days lost
- $160 in gas to drive there and back.
- $100 for a hotel
- Then what if it's not as the seller represented it?

When you factor the value of my time, 2 full days makes it by far the most expensive option. This really has nothing to do with the brand where this specific unit is located.

Flip flop the drive time with the other $1500 unit and I would take the Merc.

valhalla360 13-01-2021 07:30

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill O (Post 3319446)
Was actually surprised about the weight difference of the EFI model vs the carb model. It appears the EFI model is 14 pounds heavier.

Surprised it's that much but having owned an EFI outboard (25hp Merc), I would take it with the extra weight in a heartbeat at the same price.

Sure EFI may take different tools and knowledge to work on...but it's far less likely you need to work on it compared to a carb model. Similar arguments were made against cars when they switched over to EFI. Now the whole "tune up" industry is just a memory.

puffcard 13-01-2021 08:06

Re: Which dinghy motor would you pick?
 
The Merc and Tohatsu is the same motor and that throws the Merc out. I would do #3. To get EFI is another $400 at $2400. Which is nice, you'll notice EFI motors have less trouble with junk gas. The reason is you're pushing it thru under pressure and not relying on a venturi effect to pull the gas thru.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.