Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 17:01   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: When is a dinghy to old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
....................... Flo looked excellent following a paint job last season, but.... the leaks continued and all the paint wore off below the waterline.
I've used the EPDM rubber paint just today, but this is my first time painting Hypalon. I'm curious about the type of paint that you found unsatisfactory. Then again, I've painted before the leaks. We'll see! I might not end up gaining more longevity.
Old 09-06-2016, 17:06   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yeah, Hudson, just another in a lifelong series of experiments. :-)

Ann
Old 09-06-2016, 21:29   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I've used the EPDM rubber paint just today, but this is my first time painting Hypalon. I'm curious about the type of paint that you found unsatisfactory. Then again, I've painted before the leaks. We'll see! I might not end up gaining more longevity.
When the seams began leaking, she was finished.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 11:56   #19

Boat: Irwin, Sloop 27

I have a 1969 Pearson brothers dingy hull #285 that still floats and tows well.
Old 13-06-2016, 14:07   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Yes, please do post the pics. I really get where you're coming from about the covers/chaps like we have being ways to catch dust and/or bugs, but I didn't know about protective coatings that work. The stop-leak idea has some appeal, too.

Ann
I'm extremely pleased with the outcome of my Hengs paint for my inflatable dinghy. Unfortunately I've lost my photo download function. It may just be the cable connecting my camera to the computer. I'll get this back eventually.
Old 17-06-2016, 07:36   #21

Boat: Fourwinns V338

It is usually the glue that gives in first. Hypalon itself, can last a very long time. Problem is, it is glued together...Hence, a lifespan of 10-15years. Good thing is, you can re-glue it if your handy (My uncle has a 23 year old Hypalon that he already re-glued twice)
PVC can be thermo welded BUT...PVC fabric itself don't last too long. I've seen PVC boats get toasted in 4 years time here in Oz if they are kept outdoors all the time. First they get tacky...then they disintegrate.
Guimaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 07:54   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

an inflatable dinghy is too old when it no longer holds air and is not repairable.
a rigid dinghy is too old when it is no longer repairable.\
can be years weeks days or centuries. depends on the boat in question.
hypalon is forever.
pvc is essentially 1month to 5 years here in tropical planet earth. does not always get tacky before fail. i have seen 1 month old pvc fail while appearing perfect. glad it was not mine.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 06:43   #23

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

I'm using a 1998 Caribe RIB, it came with the boat when I bought it 3 years ago. I've had to put patches in several locations mostly from chafing of lines across the fabric. It gets a bit softer over a week or so and I add some air.

I've used 4200 Fast set successfully but now use a two part flexible epoxy that has worked every time even on a chaffing blowout. Marine Tex Flex Set 30G Epoxy Adhesive.

I'm planning to add an interior sealant over the winter and some added chafe protection out of hypalon strips to prevent another blowout. Then maybe I'll paint it.

This dinghy was a daily user for most of it's life. I expect it'll last at least a few more years.
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 07:46   #24

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
When is a dinghy to old?

I have an Avon 260 air floor made from Hypalon and bought it in 2004. It is still in good shape and stays in the sun all year upside down on my deck but we are at Kentucky Lake and not tropical. I am having some glue issues with the rub rail, but still holds air ok. I think another couple of years and I'll think about replacing. It's showing some wear and is harder to keep clean.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 08:09   #25
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

If you can see sand through the floor you need to buy a new one/
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 14:41   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Yes, please do post the pics. I really get where you're coming from about the covers/chaps like we have being ways to catch dust and/or bugs, but I didn't know about protective coatings that work. The stop-leak idea has some appeal, too.

Ann
....'a long time coming for these photos of my painted dinghy, but I finally ditched my old broken Cannon and bought an android phone with a good camera. I've officially stepped into the current millennium!

I used the Heng's EPDM rubberized paint at $55/gallon (one half gallon gave me a thick double coat) on my 9ft Caribe.

'nice, supple, easy to clean surface. You might notice some brush strokes in the center close-up photo, but I'm pleased with the general appearance.
Old 04-08-2016, 15:52   #27

Amortize... say 6 years.... and get a new one...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:59   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
....'a long time coming for these photos of my painted dinghy, but I finally ditched my old broken Cannon and bought an android phone with a good camera. I've officially stepped into the current millennium!

I used the Heng's EPDM rubberized paint at $55/gallon (one half gallon gave me a thick double coat) on my 9ft Caribe.

'nice, supple, easy to clean surface. You might notice some brush strokes in the center close-up photo, but I'm pleased with the general appearance.
Hudson, it looks great! a job well done. Good on ya.
Old 04-08-2016, 16:09   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My re-coated dinghy pictured above is eight years old and constantly exposed to the elements. I think it can be good for another eight years. I've kept dinghies for 11 yrs. without the coating, but I do need to replace the valves.
With maintenance a hypalon dinghy can last well beyond a decade. Chafe is the real killer!

edit: Thanks Ann & Jim,- I'll soon need to quit all this work and get back to cruising!
Old 04-08-2016, 16:38   #30

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For the OP. Ask yourself if it would survive a few dozen trips through the surf zone, fully loaded. If there's any question as to this, then it's a play toy, at best.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy