Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do You run the fuel out of your outboard?
Yes 25 71.43%
No 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2010, 07:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
but never on purpose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 07:56   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I will only run it dry at the end of the season as I winterize it.
Old 30-05-2010, 09:10   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
I stopped doing this. I believe it made things worse. On my one time damn Nissan 4 i removed the internal tank. Added a fuel line and disconnect with a fuel water seperator.I add stabil to the fuel. So far this year the Nissan is my dear Nissan. I have wondered about having a seal placed over the air intake when the outboard is off service. I noticed when iused to run it dry a residue yellowish building up on the walls of the fuel lines.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 09:47   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I run it dry if I won't be using it for a month or so..
(Working too much.)

As for the E-fuel problem:
Found a gas station in town who sells clean gasoline, no Ethanol added.
It is $4.00 per gallon, but a jug will last 8 months and no mo' engine problems..
Old 30-05-2010, 12:09   #5

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
I have a Honda 15 for aux on the F boat. I don't like to run the carb dry because of the heat as the mixture leans out and in the old 2 strokes the lack of lubrication as the fuel /oil mixture disappears. I drain the bowl into a glass jar instead which also removes the small amounts of water that accumulate in the bottom of the bowl. Can't take 60 seconds including removing and replacing the cowl. I pour the gas back in the tank. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 06:34   #6

Boat: 1979 Hunter 37 cutter
Like several posts, I ran my outboards dry for 50 years. I had a Merc 4 cycle 6hp that would not start if I ran it dry. Turns out it didn't empty the bowl and the small amount of fuel left would evaporate in a day or so, causing the float to stick. 3rd mechanic I took it to just before I was ready to order a new motor told me that I needed to open the drain screw. Sure enuff even when run dry, I could get a tablespoon or more of fuel out of the bowl drain.
Leave it full, it starts first pull even after 2 months of sitting. Still run my Nissan 9.8 2 cycle dry. Starts first pull after 6 months.
Old 31-05-2010, 08:25   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonwj View Post
Like several posts, I ran my outboards dry for 50 years. I had a Merc 4 cycle 6hp that would not start if I ran it dry. Turns out it didn't empty the bowl and the small amount of fuel left would evaporate in a day or so, causing the float to stick. 3rd mechanic I took it to just before I was ready to order a new motor told me that I needed to open the drain screw. Sure enuff even when run dry, I could get a tablespoon or more of fuel out of the bowl drain.
Leave it full, it starts first pull even after 2 months of sitting. Still run my Nissan 9.8 2 cycle dry. Starts first pull after 6 months.
I have one of those, run it dry and have no problems starting on first or second pull.

Don't know what to do now.

When I run it dry I don't just let it stop. I attend to it till the end, opening the throttle to keep it running. At the end it is wide open (not the rpms) as it stalls out.

I have not drained the bowl after that to see what is left though.............
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:27   #8

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
as far as avgas, last i heard was as long as there is no catalytic converter it is legal.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 18:29   #9

Boat: C&C 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
as far as avgas, last i heard was as long as there is no catalytic converter it is legal.
If you use Avgas in a catalytic converter engine it will ruin it by clogging it up. In the US you should not be able to buy Avgas, not saying that you could not get it if you put your mind to it.

Check this link out. It talks about Avgas and Corvette engines:
Gasoline Digest Page 2

When a piston aircraft engine is inspected you remove the spark plugs, clean, test and re-gap them. While cleaning the plugs it is quite common to find deposits of lead. Sometimes the lead will get bad enough and the electrode will short out to the case of the plug making it inoperative. These engines are designed to burn the stuff imagine what it is doing to your car or outboard.

Just try to use clean and quality fuel.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 19:20   #10

when i was a helicopter pilot, the jet a they drained from aircraft during maintenance was unusable, so we were allowed to take it. i had a fuel cell and pump in the bed of my truck. needless to say i was the only f350 that i know of running something beside diesel ..
Old 08-07-2010, 19:23   #11

going onto the "legal aspect" of 100 LL. during the hurricane season in FL there were lines of people waiting for avgas rather that spend 7 hours in line for fuel. they just walked up and stood in line. that was a class g though. im sure you couldnt walk into a classy fbo and ask for it. but any local airfield ive been too didnt care if you purchased it.

Tags
fuel, outboard