Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 14:59   #31

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Outboard size for Dinghy - Coastal Cruising

...HA!...
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:06   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Spent a couple of years in the Caribbean with a light Caribe and small engine. No problem. Only used for short excursions to shore. Don't have the 6+ knot currents we have here. Also like a good sailing/rowing dinghy. Not a bad solution.
Again, each to their own.
When my engine quit with no wind and currents pushing me on the rocks it was nice to have a dinghy that could tow a 44 thousand lb boat.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:54   #33

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Didn't you have an anchor?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:09   #34

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
-----
Or there's always option C...
Attachment 116231
LMAO! Excellent.
Old 05-01-2016, 18:00   #35

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Didn't you have an anchor?
Had 3 anchors but in the SJI's the depth goes from 300 ft to 0 in seconds and the current was running 7 knots and depth 350. Still would have deployed but dinghy was capable of towing into Roche which was a better solution.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 19:03   #36
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

The decision is entirely in the way you want to use the dinghy. If, like us, you want to spend 4 hours a day snorkeling/spearfishing, you'll want the fastest outboard your dinghy can support. We had an 8 hp in the Western Caribbean on our 9' AB inflatable. We couldn't keep up with our friends to the best fishing spots, but we got there nonetheless.

When it came time to replace our beloved 15 year old Tohatsu 8 2 stroke, we reluctantly bought a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke because we're still in Florida. One comment about the Mercury vs Tohatsu - having cruised from Annapolis to Colombia & back to the FL Keys, we'd never own any outboard that wasn't a Tohatsu or a Yamaha. Parts and dealers become more important when you leave the US.

Will you ever have guests? Our little 9' AB inflatable and 8 hp Tohatsu got really wet when we had 4 adults aboard - especially in Roatan returning from dinner one night.

Bottom line, if you want to get to shore to get provisions when the wind is blowing and waves are steep for a week straight, will you be happy with the smaller engine? If so, I'd love to have a lighter outboard. If not, go for the bigger outboard.

Think about how you'll use it and choose accordingly.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 21:16   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have a Yamaha 15, and it is a heavy motor. We do not have a crane. We move the engine with our main halyard to support its weight. Tie the dinghy so that the stern is right by the shrouds (where there is least motion), Jim slowly walks it forward. Steps down into the dinghy, arranges the motor for the transom, then I lower it slowly to him, or fast, if he says. The method has worked well for 25-26 years of cruising. You do not need to have a crane to do this, and I'd think you could do it with a cat, as well as a mono.

There is a downside, though, the mount for the engine is on the port side of the pushpit, just about as far aft as it can go. It is outboard, hence could be vulnerable when getting off piers and jetties.

Ann
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We have a Yamaha 15, and it is a heavy motor. We do not have a crane. We move the engine with our main halyard to support its weight. Tie the dinghy so that the stern is right by the shrouds (where there is least motion), Jim slowly walks it forward. Steps down into the dinghy, arranges the motor for the transom, then I lower it slowly to him, or fast, if he says. The method has worked well for 25-26 years of cruising. You do not need to have a crane to do this, and I'd think you could do it with a cat, as well as a mono.

There is a downside, though, the mount for the engine is on the port side of the pushpit, just about as far aft as it can go. It is outboard, hence could be vulnerable when getting off piers and jetties.

Ann
I highly recommend you consider the inexpensive and well built demountable (easy peasy) Garhaur lifting crane. It's a few hundred U$D. Our boat as a stern boarding /swim ladder with teak treads... and fairly plumb transom. We use this ladder with the dink. The crane swings out and one can single hand getting the motor on or off the boat. Ours weighs 100lbs. It's like having a crew! You can raise or lower it from inside the dink.. but of course with someone ion the cockpit it is just easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050427 - Copy.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	116268  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29   #39

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
One comment about the Mercury vs Tohatsu - having cruised from Annapolis to Colombia & back to the FL Keys, we'd never own any outboard that wasn't a Tohatsu or a Yamaha. Parts and dealers become more important when you leave the US.

Tohatsu manufactures the small engines for Mercury, as well as for Nissan and others- they are just rebranded with a different color paint and decals.

Unless you need paint or decals, you will find all of your Mercury parts at Tohatsu.

I'm still confused as to what are all these "parts" people constantly need, and why they continue to buy engines that need so many of them. Is this just a belief, or is it real?

Dealers carry almost no inventory anymore - try to buy a new carb jet for your Yamaha Enduro 15 in Panama, for instance, and you will wait several weeks for the order to ship from the US. And pay more for it than if you just ordered it yourself.

Yes, if one stays somewhere like the eastern Caribbean, then parts may be more locally available, if you consider going to other countries local.

BTW, there are only a couple of sizes of water pumps, spark plugs, props, etc (even carb internals) made for all OB's - between Yamaha and Tohatsu, pretty much all other engines are covered for these common spares.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:05   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I highly recommend you consider the inexpensive and well built demountable (easy peasy) Garhaur lifting crane. It's a few hundred U$D. Our boat as a stern boarding /swim ladder with teak treads... and fairly plumb transom. We use this ladder with the dink. The crane swings out and one can single hand getting the motor on or off the boat. Ours weighs 100lbs. It's like having a crew! You can raise or lower it from inside the dink.. but of course with someone ion the cockpit it is just easier.
Sandero,

Please forgive me if you didn't aim this at me, but at the general "you" of CF out there reading.

We like doing it the way we do, without having a crane (de-mountable or not). It would just be another heavy and large thing to find a place to store. The halyard method works well; it is simple to coordinate the teamwork and does the job for us.

We use the spinnaker halyard to raise the dinghy for putting it on the foredeck. "Everything on a boat should be able to do at least two jobs." Pity I haven't found another for the Yamaha, but it has been reliable.

Incidentally, Jim has done it by himself on occasion. The sequence of events is a little different, but it can be done by one.

Ann
Old 06-01-2016, 11:15   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just installed a whisker pole last weekend.
It seems at least just as a casual look, that as long as the topping lift is well secured to the mast, that it could be used pretty effectively as a crane? Thing seems pretty stout.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:20   #42

I liked the crane I had. No need to dismount it for anything. Less banging the side of the mothership when wind waves are happening too. To each his own.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, dinghy, outboard, size