Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 20:59   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Outboard size for Dinghy - Coastal Cruising

Your dinghy & motor should be big enough to keep your boat out of trouble if needed. We haul a 15 Merc 2-stroke. I am considering a 3.5 additional to conserve fuel. The other comments above are all good.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 22:29   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The 2 stroke is well known and easily serviced. It has more hp (with the possibility of being tweaked to give 10 or more). Take it. Enjoy. It is a drag to have to go slow for provisioning and laundry runs.

Ann

PS. Outside the US, 2 stroke engines are still common, and doing good service.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56   #18
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I'd prefer the 3.3 as the best all rounder on an extended cruise, followed by the 9.8. The main reason for the smaller motor is it is light and easy to handle, easier to manage on beach landings, a lot less likely to be stolen, doesn't need the external tank, is frugal and it actually is possible to plane one up. .
x2. And consider selling the inflatable for the same reasons.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:34   #19

Boat: Tartan 4000 40'

I learned to never ask a Power Boater this question. They always answer something like "well... you'll need at least 15hp to get that thing up on plane". Up on what? I just want to go ashore. We ended up with a 6.0 Tohatsu on our A/B-al and it's working fine. I've been advised against going much smaller for a 4-cyc because everything gets so tiny inside and easily gummed up. We're cruising to the Carib in Sept 2016.
cabinboybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:35   #20

Boat: Boatless

Biggest you can. Yamaha 15 Endro 2 stroke :-)

We had a 25 on last boat and loved it (12' AB)

New boat we have a 9'ab with a 2.5 Yamaha (miserable engine), then a 9.8 Nissan (too heavy) and now a 6hp Tohatsu.

Can't plane with two people and that just sucks, especially in the Caribbean or Pacific. Be able to plane easily with two, your RIB is your daily driver and imho and experience needs to boogie :-)

Best of luck!
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:54   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

So many opinions based on different experiences and needs. I would never own another 2 stroke. Have had bad luck with Mercs. Love my 20 HP Honda. Never a problem with proper maintenance. Keep fuel fresh and drain carb. Going to a 40 for more speed but I do a lot of fishing and crabbing and travel serious distances. Also installing davits but that's me. Know many who hate engines and prefer rowing since they only travel short distances to shore. Did that myself for years. One of my favorites for short distances is electric with solar. Quiet.
Totally depends on your use. I try to be considerate in anchorages.
Good luck. Growing up in the San Juans with my 19 ft Lightening I used to swim to shore and back.
Different strokes for ... LOL
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:58   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You have a small yet heavy dinghy, plus the crew and cargo, the last thing you need is a heavy outboard and a fuel tank. I'd suggest you go with the lighter/smaller engine. You will appreciate the extra space in the dinghy. The internal tank really simplifies the whole fuel issue for the dinghy. Plus it likely takes regular gasoline, no mixing with oil required, and no issues with methanol gas which is becoming more and more common.

If you get a bigger dinghy, then get a bigger outboard for it.
Small dinghy, small engine.

I used a Yamaha 4 on an avon rover (9.5'). It was pretty good. The engine was still heavy for lugging about, especially the short trip from rail to transom, and back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 223.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	116220  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:14   #23

I've a Tartan 37 as well, and opted for the air cooled Honda 2.5, with weight being the ultimate determinant factor. It's no doubt great to have an engine with enough power to plane the dinghy, but our boat suffers in performance as the weight of "stuff" goes up, and an engine with the horses to plane is too heavy to safely get off the dinghy and onto the boat w/o a crane. (More weight).
douglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:29   #24

Boat: Union cutter 33

We have a 9ft dingy and a 2.5hp merc works great and gets us were we want to go never understood folks with big motors u could waterski behind..plus fuel consumption in a 2.5 is next to nil.
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:38   #25

If you anchor far off... and have a few people or "stuff" a larger motor makes a world of difference because you will have a larger tender. Planing is drier too but some anchorages have speed limits. A lifting crane will solve the dinghy weight problem... and then you can tow the tender locally...

Gas has been loaded with ethanol and OBs don't like it.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:03   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
We have a 9ft dingy and a 2.5hp merc works great and gets us were we want to go never understood folks with big motors u could waterski behind..plus fuel consumption in a 2.5 is next to nil.

You just don't have enough imagination. I just returned from spear fishing where I took my dinghy 5 miles into open ocean reefs (and it is a bit rough today). I do this almost daily, and no way would I want an OB that couldn't plane my dinghy and gear - that would actually be dangerous.

If one uses their dinghy to just toter a few yards into shore every day to attend potlucks or go to the bar, then there isn't any reason for a large engine.

The rest of us have very good reasons for one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:19   #27
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post

Yep I'm with Mark on that. We use ours for similar excursions and (sometimes) waterskiing behind. A 9.9 2 stroke will pull me up on a surfboard behind our 3.1m rib. I think if we ran it at 1/4 throttle always the fuel consumption would also be next to nil
I guess the op should try imagine what he would like to do. Anchoring with the herd in st martin lagoon/jolly harbour/st Georges etc with occasional grocery trips to shore, a 2.5 will be fine. 5 mile expeditions along the coast to explore/dive/surf etc .. At least a 9.9.
Or there's always option C...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1452025174.179896.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	116231
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:57   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I've sailed on hundreds of boats in many places around the world for over 50 years. My favorite thing is exploring, after anchoring, in my tender. Didn't used to be that way.
It's all good. People & things change. Main thing is that the damn thing runs.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:54   #29

For the Carib and the heavier seas neither is good and minimum should be a 10'6 dink and a 9.9 outboard as you will need it for gear and groceries or for excursion to go diving etc. Do it now as its more money down there to replace what you propose
captaindanger70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:55   #30

Oh I almost forgot a hard bottom is a must
captaindanger70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, dinghy, outboard, size