Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 09:30   #1

Boat: Beneteau 323
Other dinghy brands

My old Zodiac died a couple of years ago. I have decided my little Walker Bay is just too stern weighted if I use an engine on it. So I am looking for an inexpensive solution for light duty around the harbor. We are not in a tropical climate, and I don't want something too heavy, but something that can take a small outboard. I keep seeing advertisements for brands like BRIS, NHT, Lavey and Massimo. I know they are PVC, not Hypalon, but I am willing to trade off long life for lower cost. Does anyone have any actual experience with any of these or other "off brands?"
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:50   #2

Boat: Norseman 447cc
Re: Other dinghy brands

I actually have a small Achillies roll-up with a soft bottom that I just upgraded to a 10' Highfield. The Achillies will take up to a 4hp outboard and was perfect for use for gunk-holing the little harbors around Long Island. Needed to move to a bigger RIB as we intend to do some serious travel, assuming this Covid thing ever eases up. If you're interested send me a PM. I am contemplating keeping the 4hp as a spare for the big dink but I may be willing to let that go too.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:44   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I’ve had and used three off brand PVC dinghies over the years although I now have a hypalon sold by Walker Bay. They have all been high pressure air floor dinghies. The first one I bought used. I don’t know how old it was when I bought it but it lasted me 3 more years without covering it and keeping it inflated and in the sun all year. Eventually the glued on pieces failed. The second I bought new and it lasted 5 years mostly covered and used all year. The glued on parts became gummy and couldn’t be cleaned. The third lasted three and the floor failed by developing a huge blister. Before we left to go cruising I found an unusual close out deal on Amazon for the current Walker Bay Hypalon which has an air floor of PVC. I put indoor outdoor carpet on the floor and I keep a cover on it whenever it is not in use. I use a Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke outboard on it. So far it is 5 years old and looking good. Hope this helps.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 14:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We did the "cheap" thing the first time - although it was hypalon. Mercury airdeck. POS, and the air deck is only warrantied for 1 year. It's PVC. The air decks are $600 a pop. And yes, they literally popped. 4 of them in 7 years. Finally threw it away. Mama saw them ALL at the boat show">Miami Boat Show. She insisted on an AB. So, we now own an AB. Should have bought it to start with. It's just so much better built than the Chinese built crap
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 20:40   #5

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

I bought a Bris inflatable ten foot. I am more than happy with it. The first one had a bladder issue. I called them and they paid to return the boat and shipped out another one with no issues. Easy to rollup and assemble. very comfortable to run takes up to ten hp motor. I am more than satisfied.
Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 14:19   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Just bought a Highfield Hypalaon UL290 It weighs 86 pounds and looks like its quality built.
bmm32005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 14:31   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

At 95lbs, this one has been working well for us for a few years now.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...SABEgJVJvD_BwE

Sometimes, West Marine branded stuff is ok.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:59   #8

Boat: 2000 Moody 46

All inflatable brands are "deflatables"! You can pay a lot or pay a little but you'll be buying more than one over your lifetime of sailing. We've had a PVC West Marine 310 High Pressure Floor and a Hypalon Achilles FRP RIB, they both leaked. I have friends with Highfields with seams that let go.

We just ordered a OC Tender.....https://octenders.co.nz/
SV Wild Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 18:42   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Reading all the failed inflatables reminds me of listening to the morning VHF nets in Mexico. "Does anyone know of a place that does inflatable repairs. It seems PVC one are 3-4 years of life and hypalon 5-7years or so. I've had Porta botes and I can tell you they will last twice as long at 1/2 the price. Plus, they are too ugly to steal.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 18:52   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Reading all the failed inflatables reminds me of listening to the morning VHF nets in Mexico. "Does anyone know of a place that does inflatable repairs. It seems PVC one are 3-4 years of life and hypalon 5-7years or so. I've had Porta botes and I can tell you they will last twice as long at 1/2 the price. Plus, they are too ugly to steal.

My hypalon Selva rigid abs floored rib is 20 years old this Christmas currently sitting happily on its trailer in the garden for the winter !!
Old 09-01-2021, 19:38   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My hypalon Selva rigid abs floored rib is 20 years old this Christmas currently sitting happily on its trailer in the garden for the winter !!
So how many months a year is your inflatable in the water being used? How many repairs has it had?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 20:00   #12

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a west marine 9 foot roll up. Going on 9th season. Putting in new halkey roberts valves this winter. Otherwise, it has performed better than I thought. Use a tohatsu 3.5 hp with it.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 20:11   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So how many months a year is your inflatable in the water being used? How many repairs has it had?
My Zodiac 12' PVC airfloor is 11 years old. I've used it from 3mos to 12 months a year, totally in the topics, all that time. It has no "chaps".

I've had plenty of problems with leaks and pieces falling off but I've kept fixing them and using the thing. Last year I bought a new airfloor. I don't like this Zodiac but it's usable. New I paid $2300.

I use this dingy with a 15hp Merc. It rolls up and stores below deck when we sail. It carry's six people,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0937 Wings Dingy Zodiac.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	230183  
Old 09-01-2021, 20:45   #14

Boat: Colegate 26

The only new dinghy I've had is my current Highfield Classic 310 that we put a really nice set of chaps on. It's been wonderful for 2+ years.

I've got my eye on an OC Tender, though. I've never operated one myself but they look fantastic.

https://octenders.co.nz/
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:37   #15

Hi I need advice..

I have 25’ sailboat and have been looking at a Bris brand 8.2 inflatable dinghy as was recommended by a friend. Of course concerned about the quality but everything seems made in China now so I’m not if that alone is an issue and would really appreciate your experience with this. Looking for something small for 2-3 people with inflatable floor but everything at Westmarine is $1300+. Will use an electronic outboard

Thank you so much for any advice

can reply at circa1971la@gmail.com
circa1971la is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy