Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 09:25   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Re: I have my first sewing machine (Singer 9020)

"Saloon Bunk (Cushion) Covers - The cushions themselves are made of red vinyl, now 42 years old! and whilst a bit faded (and could do with a really good clean) there is nothing wrong with them. They unzip so at some point new foam would be a no brainer (even for me!). But I do want to add some covers (loose fit?) both for appearances sake (I am so so on bright red!) and also so that cleaning is an easy remove and stuff into a washing machine every year (or 3!). I have a couple of ideas on what I think would work for me - will bounce ideas off folks here a bit later, when this project goes "live"!"
Just a word of advice from a seamstress: these (or anything you plan on "removing for quick and easy washing") wash and machine dry your material before you cutt and sew the project. Use the same water and dry temps you will use in the future, ie., after it is constructed. This will ensure that you won't have covers too small to fit back on after you whisk them off for that first washing. I would also make the cushion covers to fit more snug than "loose fit". It makes them look more proffesional and tailored when complete. If you have problems slipping them on because of the tight fit, try slipping a dry-cleaner bag over the cushion before sliding the cover on, then tear it off when it's covered.
Walk away when you get frustrated and come back to the project when you are fresh, have fun!
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Cool Dave. Could you repair some clothes for me?

It also looks like your goat is shivering. Maybe a lambs wool coat?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:37   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Cheers for the advice folks, including on the next machine - at present am still on test pieces. I won't say it is easy, but not exactly hard either - but kinda fun (amid some frustrations!) in puzzling things through on something new. Makes one appreciate Newbies on boats a bit more - the basics ain't obvious, unless you know! and it is easy to forget the basics, like to drop the presser foot (see, new lingo!) before pressing the go pedal........some of you may have heard the effing and blinding from the untangling!

I suspect that this will be one of those things I will be happy enough to do and whilst enjoying having the capacity to do stuff myself and also the outcome (and the puzzling through to match abilities of self and machine to the task) won't neccessarily enjoy the hands on process of getting there (so likely won't be taking sewing up as a hobby for it's own sake - so David M won't be getting the silk panties and matching hat he ordered by PM).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 13:22   #19

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
.........and a to do list that will keep me busy for a while .
Going to make a prom dress?

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 15:43   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Going to make a prom dress?

Brad
No, but hopefully one day I will have a nice line in Tinfoil hats
Old 07-07-2012, 15:47   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
- so David M won't be getting the silk panties and matching hat he ordered by PM).
Gawd, did you have to tell everyone?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 16:13   #22

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

No, but hopefully one day I will have a nice line in Tinfoil hats
Well keep me posted I could use a new Tinfoil Fedora.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 14:36   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Wahoo! I have my first bag! - and it's even on the Project Wishlist! One more bag to go........then it's onto some of the more "interesting" stuff

Today I also dissassembled an old mainsail, got a nice length of rope out of it, enough spare slides to see me past the age of 227, plus the main target of some material for a few of the future projects Even had a run down to the boat to put some paint on something....and managed to fit in some Zzzzzz onboard .

Only 1 slight problem with the Sewing Machine, the bobbin winder don't work ......no problem though - stuck the bobbin on the end of an electric drill ......will decide later whether to "have a go" at a fix myself (that can end 2 ways ) or get the machine serviced by a professional or simply buy a standalone bobbin winder (I didn't know those existed until an hour ago)....or carry on with the electric drill.....I guess Free has a cost after all .
Old 08-07-2012, 19:04   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

So just to be sure, you put the bobbin on the winder and push the metal bit in toward the bobbin. You also disengage the drive, but holding the outer knob (on the side) while loosening the inner knob. The metal footy thingy by the bobbin winder, stops the winder when the bobbin is full of thread. You've got to push it close first before the bobbin winder is engaged...

You probably knew all that, but before using a drill, (hopefully without a drill bit.. could see that ending badly) check the bobbin winder thingy.. No the other thingy ;-)
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 20:00   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Just came home with a Pfaff 230 from craigslist locally for $50. He knew nothing about it...nor did I. It will make a great anchor if nothing else.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 20:47   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

You guys are getting so domesticated!!!!
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 21:03   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Darn !! another reason Connies so important to me LOL only one of many I might add ! she'a fine seamstress!! with her old singer she gets it done !! (and shes even better in the galley) guess I will have to keep her around cus I splice but I can't sew other then a button !!!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:52   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

That's my two storage bags done - I "reverse engineered" a plastic carrier bag (one of the "good" ones - complete with a pleat in the bottom ).....one out of thin plastic taurpalin, the second out of an old sail - time will tell how robust they are .

I was going to leave the Settee covers (and Aft Cabin Mattress) until later, but one of the local shops is having a closing down sale so makes sense to grab some material at dirt cheap prices - even if probably not ideal, but I like a bargain! In any event likely by the time I finish them I will have got a bit better at the Sewing machine (I hope so!) so a redo later (with better material? should not be such a problem and would probably be a lot neater - albeit plan is to go for an "out of sight - out of mind" approach as much as possible on the sewing stuff )....of course I will probably be tripping over a roll of material for a couple of years .
Old 10-07-2012, 07:50   #29

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Just came home with a Pfaff 230 from craigslist locally for $50. He knew nothing about it...nor did I. It will make a great anchor if nothing else.
Score! I have been looking, nothing yet.
Old 10-07-2012, 23:13   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

So now I want to know from the experienced ones here...if I was sewing on the boat in an anchorage, where would I set it up? I have an aft cabin but in the tropics probably too stuffy. So in the cockpit under a bimini?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DOJ, sewing machine