Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2023, 14:03   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: I, along with my family, could sure use some dinghy help &/or thoughts & suggesti

You will want to protect it from UV, from the outset. Also, treat it with spray for pvc, if it is pvc; hypalon just needs gentle cleaning [soap & water, no abrasives], no plasticizers to evaporate out.

Ann
Old 02-06-2023, 07:02   #17

Re: I, along with my family, could sure use some dinghy help &/or thoughts & suggesti

JPA: Absolutely go Hypalon. Ours lasted over ten years.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:54   #18

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Depends on where you live and cruise. I have towed an 11' row/sail dinghy all over the Salish Sea (Puget Sound and Strait of Georgia) for many years, in some pretty rough conditions, with no issues. (Have to be careful to plug the centre board trunk, and a long painter in rough seas. A good row/sail dinghy is great for the kids to be independent explorers in the anchorage. Sailing a dinghy is the best training for sailing bigger boats. There are 9 foot row/sail boats on the used market here in BC that will hold four people.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:38   #19

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I think you will be happy with a 10' RIB inflatable. Keep the light 2.5 HP for short trips. Then I suggest a 15 HP to go longer distances on a plane. I have found that having the dinghy on a plane is the only way to keep dry. Planing will be possible if your kids are not the weight of adults. I have been able to plane with 3 adults with the above. Your kids will love the 15 HP on the dinghy. I used a crane to mount the 15 HP on the dinghy.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:11   #20

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The Walker Bay non-planning dinghy with inflatable collar would be worthy of consideration, if flipped upside down it would clear your jib. It's one step up from what you have now.
Thing about walker bay's is the collar you refer to is no longer made. They had hypalon ones and I bought one of the last ones a few years ago. PVC might be available but I wouldn't want it. Walker bay is great for buying a boat but they have zero customer service.

Just sold my used walker bay 10 with hypalon tubes kit and motor for $1700 as a reference
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:40   #21

For four people you really need a 10ft dinghy. 8ft is just too tight.

A 2.5hp engine would be enough for a hard dinghy but probably not for an inflatable which really are pigs (that's why you can't row the damn things either)

Unlike a slow sailboat, towing is not really an option for you.

The best thing I can come up with is a Highfield 290 ultralight (hypalon of course). 86lbs. Looks like it would go on your hardtop (deflating them is a pain).

The Highfields really are impresive. Aluminium hull so you you can run them on a rocky beach. 15" tube and high rise on the bow keep them dryer than most. V-hull does well in a chop.

With a 6hp engine it would be just fine and probably plane with just one person on board. Since you already have it, I'd first give the 2.5 a try with the whole family aboard. Might work.

For some reason the video on the following page is for the 260. Look at the CL290 page for pictures of four people onboard (the CL290 is pretty much the same boat without the forward step/seat)

I would pick the the ultralite over the rollup. For 10lbs more weight you get an indestructable aluminium hull and much more comfortable ride in waves.

https://www.highfieldboats.com/ultralite-290/
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
I ended up with the RU-3 from West Marine. I am weary of buying another person's inflatable only because I feel that most people don't take care of things. I know that's a "me" thing. LOL.

The next thing will be to see how it pushes 4 of us with the 2.5HP Suzuki.
Late to the conversation, but that RU-3 is what I was going to suggest. Good choice!
TedCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 15:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Portland pudgy. Can’t be folded up but is indestructible. Uses a small hp engine ( must be long shaft) Will hold two adults and two kids of the size you mentioned. Going to be slow but safe and very stable. Doubles as a life raft. Might be worth checking out. Used ones go for reasonable dollars. I bought mine used with a 2.5 hp mercury engine thrown in for 800 bucks.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 22:53   #24

Boat: Hans Christian, Christina, 43

When we look for a tender the first thing we look at is: can it be reboarded from in the water. In other words if I fall out can I get back in. Then once it passes this test its time to look for the other things that will make it useful.

Then if the Suzuki isnt a two stroke you got a whole can of worms if you go cruising in the lesser populated places in the world.

Our blog: svmatilda.com
svmatilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 23:58   #25

Boat: Still building

Hve you contemplated a hard dinghy or even a nested dinghy, like maybe the Port Townsend 11 or similar?
I know a cruiser with limited foredeck space built a nesting Spindrift, I think 9ft, but that would easily fit where your 8'-6" inflatable would go.
Try goodling Spindrift nesting, there are a few sizes, but can be non-nesting.
Made form foam and glass would be super light. Lighter than an inflatable, and with built in buoyancy, probably unsinkable, and would be OK with the 2.5HP Suzi.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, family