Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 20:09   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Honda EU2000 Won't Start

Actually I'm gonna post this as its a great video on carb cleaning.. Pretty sure anyone could clean the carb following this video.

travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 20:33   #17

I use ethanol free fuel and have had no issues in two years. Only use it a few times each summer.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mark maulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:33   #18

Hi friends!! I need some information regarding Honda eu3000is. Actually I need to buy a new generator because there is some problem in my old one. Also provide the recommendations for websites that deals in Honda products.
Toby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:29   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Toby, and Mark.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:18   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

While I don't use mine on the boat I have had fuel issues, even with religious use of Marine Stabil, and tried just about every other stabilizer made. My problem is it can sit for six months or more between uses..

Also been through four carbs on our Honda HRX mower but those are now down to $16.00 so not worth cleaning, just replace it.

The only thing I have found that works is a product called TruFuel. I run normal stabilized gas in it when it needs to run for a while but then re-fill for storage and use only TruFuel.

I used to have to clean the carb with some regularity and since I began using TruFuel it just starts, as does my mower..... TruFuel is nothing more than a high purity non-ethanol fuel, with stabilizers and sold at exorbitant prices..

I've now also begun using the pre-mix stuff for my chain saw, weed wacker, leaf blower etc. too and zero issues. Ridiculous pricing but cheaper than my time and effort for carb cleaning..

It does seem to work though, and no, I can't get ethanol free gas in Maine.....
Old 09-01-2015, 13:59   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

See if you can get Avgas, it's 100LL of course and usually about $5 a Gl, Trufuel is about $30 a Gl here. I've never used Avgas in a two stroke though so I can't vouch for it there

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 20:31   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
The very first thing to check is spark.. You need to know if the unit has spark. In a shop, we have a tester for this.. Without a tester, you will need 2 people. ....
Red neck spark testing: One to hold the plug and one to pull the crank. If they jump then you got spark! If you get a jolt...well...you were dumber than the other guy.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:14   #23

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Pull the spark plug and see if it's fouled ( black)or tan/ white.
Black is fouled and you need to burn that off or replace the plug.
White/tan is normal color but there may be no fuel to the carb .
Hondas clog up pretty easy if you don't run them a lot.
Try to squirt a shot of fuel into the intake area and see if it fires.
If not ,check for spark as mentioned

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:02   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby99 View Post
........... Actually I need to buy a new generator because there is some problem in my old one. ................
You know in most cases these things are repairable. Look on the Internet for a repair shop in your area.
Old 03-02-2015, 13:23   #25

http://youtu.be/G-tCIRJH9p0

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:29   #26

I had to unexpectedly leave my boat for 6 months. When I returned I could not start my Honda 2000i. It had no more than 5 hours on it and had previously started with one or two pulls.

There was fuel in the tank but not a lot. I added fuel to the tank; to about half full. I don't know why this worked but it started after a few pulls. I let it run for a while, stopped and started it again, and deemed it working fine.

I have to leave for a few months and plan to drain the fuel from the carburetor and add stabilizer to the fuel. I have high hopes that this will allow it to start more easily when I return.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:10   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Honda EU2000 Won't Start

The Honda has a fuel pump, if you look at the tank, about half of it is beneath the level of the carburetor, when the fuel level drops, it takes a pump to pump it to the carburetor, gravity won’t do it.
It’s because it has a pump is why we can add extended run tanks to one and have it work.
I’m going to assume your fuel had evaporated from the carb and just pulling on the cord didn’t give enough oomph to make it pump fuel into the carb.

The Honda has a fuel drain on its carburetor, if your going to let it sit for more than a week, I’d drain the carburetor, its easy to see just remove the big side cover.
When fuel evaporates it leaves a gummy residue behind and this causes problems with carburetors
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:43   #28

Thank you for the explanation about the fuel pump. Now it makes sense.

I certainly don't want to gum up the carburetor. I did drain it today and added fuel additive to the remaining gas since I will be leaving my boat again.

I do like the Honda 2000i for the little I use it. I can hook it directly to my shore power receptacle with a short 6' cord and then use the 110 VAC onboard to run my watermaker. One time I did use it to charge my batteries, but normally my solar and wind generator are sufficient. But it is nice to have this backup and not have to run the diesel.

Thank you again.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:48   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Let me add my story.

If you have recently replaced pull cord, check to see if you kinked the fuel hose when reattaching the two wire harnesses. Take unit apart again and reattach the harnesses and be sure hose isn't kinked and stopping fuel flow.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, honda eu2000