Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2010, 09:25   #1

Boat: Pearson 281
Help with Dive Gear...

I know nothing about dive gear, will be taking a certification course in April and have found 2 Sherwood regulators and 2 aluminum tanks both used only once and well cared for from a friend of a friend for $250.00.
From the short description does this seem like a good deal?
While I trust my friend what should I be looking for when I check these out?
Any other tips on selecting dive gear would be most appreciated.
Thanks!!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 09:31   #2

Boat: MJM 50 Z
The regulators and tanks are required to be inspected on a schedule.
It's been a long time since my diving days but the tanks get pressure tested and the regulators get new seals and diaphrams etc.
Take them to a dive shop. They will advise you on condition too.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 09:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
If the tanks are Luxfer Al 80s they are the recommended for ocean diving. They have to be hydro-statically tested/certified (dive shops would just say hydro-test) every 5 years. The date of the last test will be stamped into the metal around the top of the tank. Format would be like 06A05. That would mean 6th month 2005. If the tank has been retested the new date will be hand stamped into the metal over or under the original stamp.

Local dive shops will get the test done but 99% of them just send the tanks out and charge you for the handling. Call local fire extinguisher companies who are usually where the actual test is done. Should be around $25. Tanks also require a VIP (visual inspection) yearly which may have to be done at the dive shop. May include that in the hydro and cheaper to do both there. New tanks with a good valve are about $125 so don't spend too much on the tanks.

For the regulators it will depend on how old, what model Sherwood and their condition. Unscrew the face plate on the second stage (the mouthpiece part) and look inside. If the regs were used for ocean diving and not rinsed well the metal parts could be really corroded and make the reg worthless.

If in doubt take the regs to a dive shop and get a firm quote for a complete overhaul.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 10:48   #4

Thanks Skipmac and Highlander... this is a big help. Particularly the part about tanks and testing them. This strikes me as being a bit like buying used climbing gear.
It seems possible that I could spend enough in ensuring the safety of the gear that buying used may not be worth it, especially if I don't really know what I'm looking at..
Old 20-03-2010, 10:49   #5

If your buddy's buddy bought these items new, the price he's asking sounds like a killer deal! The tanks alone are worth over $200.

You don't mention what Sherwood regulators he's offering, but a basic, single-stage regulator will start out at more than $200. If the regulators he's selling come with an octopus (emergency mouthpiece) and/or a console (depth/pressure gauge/compass), then they're worth a lot more. Go on-line and track down some more info. You may even be able to pin down everything you need by researching the serial numbers or asking to see the original sales slip.

Don't worry about having to pay for hydrostatic testing the tanks (if necessary) or having the regulators cleaned and serviced. These are normal expenses every diver has to deal with.

Good luck!
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 10:54   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I agree with Allen with one ca-vet...if the tanks fail you will receive them back with holes drilled in them..

Maybe buy the whole outfit pending Survey and sea trial...

FWIW.... I have stored my 2 AL80's for 20 years with 3000psi in them...The dive shop told me just recently when one of my daughters went through basic training they will probably pass with flying colors due to that fact...My daughters have breathed compressed air older then they are in the swimming pool a couple years ago when I broke them out of storage along with my regulator.....True Story!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 11:16   #7

He did buy the gear new and the tanks were tested Nov. 2009. I left a message asking about the model of tanks and regulators. He did say that one of the regulators had a panel. Looking forward to checking them out. Thanks.
Old 20-03-2010, 12:34   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Don't worry about having to pay for hydrostatic testing the tanks (if necessary) or having the regulators cleaned and serviced."
In many places the cost of a hydro will run $35-40 and another $10-20 for the VIP or VIP Plus visual inspection. The VIP is required annaully, the hydro every 5th year, so you can figure that a used tank which is not freshly hydro'd is worth about $10 less per every year that has passed, or a good $50 less than a new tank which has just been hydro'd and inspected.
There was an issue with Luxfer Alu 80 tanks some time ago and defects, if the tanks are from the wrong age group they may well be suspect. You'd want to check on that, my friend and I each had one condemned (and then replaced with new) by a shop that didn't understand the VIP Plus procedure when that was all new.
Alu80's are popular but they are not the only option and you may find that you prefer other tanks. If you decide to use oxygen enriched air ("Nitrox") for extra safety or depth, you'll also need to ge that used equipment "oxygen cleaned", again more money versus just buying the same gear new, ready for Nitrox use.
Used regulators can't be presumed to be good. This is after all life support equipment, and when you buy it new it usually works well. Used, it should get an annual overhaul and rubber parts replaced from time to time, and shops charge dearly for that. So again--used may not be a great savings, and you may find that once you've used some different equipment, you have different preferences.
If the used gear is cheap enough, and you have someone you can trust to check it out (maybe the seller will let you take it to the place where you will be taking lessons to have it checked out?) that's another option.
SCUBA and scuba gear ain't rocket science--but you DO need a little special knowledge and care if you want to use it safely. Small mistakes can quickly become deadly ones, for reasons that aren't always obvious.

You know, like the line in The Pink Panter where Clouseau says "Does your dog bite?" no, then gets bitten, and the final line is "That's not my dog." Ooopsie.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 12:53   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
From the short description does this seem like a good deal?
For the short answer: yes.
Old 20-03-2010, 16:59   #10

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If you decide to use oxygen enriched air ("Nitrox") for extra safety or depth, you'll also need to ge that used equipment "oxygen cleaned", again more money versus just buying the same gear new, ready for Nitrox use..
Nitrox is never used for extra depth. Oxygen is toxic at high pressure. It can also be extremely flammable.

Air is 21% oxygen, in general recreational diving is limited to 135 ft.
Nitrox 32 (32% oxygen) is limited to 110 feet.
Nitrox 36 (36% oxygen) is limited to 95 feet.

The purpose of Nitrox is to reduce nitrogen uptake so the dive time can be extended without decompression.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 19:54   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
Wait till after the course which will help you chose exactly what you think you want because you will know what is what.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 03:07   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquaukee View Post
Nitrox is never used for extra depth.
The purpose of Nitrox is to reduce nitrogen uptake so the dive time can be extended without decompression.
Excellent point. Nor is Nitrox used for "extra safety". Diving with Nitrox is actually more dangerous and requires more training than diving with air. As Mesq pointed out, Nitrox can be used to extend bottom times, and also to shorten surface intervals, but only when used properly.

Now, go take that diving course, then always "Plan your dive and dive your plan."
Old 21-03-2010, 10:11   #13

Thanks all. Though I may be missing a good deal I will wait until the course is done before buying... makes the most sense.
If anyone here in SoCal might be interested in checking this stuff out send me an e-mail and I will provide contact info.