Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 00:12   #1

Boat: N/A
Send a message via Skype™ to Old Frenchie
Desalter

Hi everybody,

I am a wannabe and I am intending to buy a 30' cutter rigged to sail long haul. The ship I have on mind has only a 55 USG fresh water capacity and a 28 USG fuel capacity. I then thought the idea would be to fit a desalter.

Next, would you think a 30' is a reasonable size for transocean cruises with two aboard ?

Thanks
Old Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 01:30   #2

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'
Re: Desalter

I reckon the size of your boat wont be the issue, the type of your boat and the hull and keel configuration will be.

as for your water needs, a desal unit is always "nice" to have.

I'm in a similar position to you, i have a 28 foot boat, travel with a dog so there's to mouths to drink and feeds and want to cruise for at least 2-3 months at a time.

I only have 200 liters of water on board, and a desal unit as a back up, but i could survive if the desal unit wasn't there.

You can always make a solar still (YouTube it) to make a little extra water or catch the rain when you can.

most of your water needs can be salt water you just need fresh water to drink, so how much do you and your mate drink per day?

p.s dont be a wanna be, get out there and do it,...

Matthew
Old 28-09-2012, 01:44   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Plenty of people have cruised in smaller boats and had a ball, but a little increase in size buys you a lot of extra comfort.
As resilientg says the construction is important especially for a smaller sized boat.

Water makers are great but they use a lot of power, supplying this power is a challenge for a smaller boat with not much room for solar panels etc.
Don't fit a water maker without considering how to power it.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 03:07   #4

Thumbs up Re: Desalter

Thanks to both of you for the information regarding the desal unit which I understand is power consuming and might not be a major point.

As for size, I am actually considering two cutter rigged units:
Trawlers and Sailboats in Florida
and
Trawlers and Sailboats in Florida

A friend skipper who taught me something about sailing quite a few years ago said they would not be sort of racers but still comfortable.

An important question, if I may still bother you a little bit, what should I consider the yearly maintenance costs for a such an average unit (30'/40') could be? I know it will much depend on how many miles she sails every year so say 6,000 Nm a year.

Thank you for the encouraging: "Don't be a wanna be, get out there and do it,..."
Old 28-09-2012, 03:35   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Plenty of people have cruised in smaller boats and had a ball, but a little increase in size buys you a lot of extra comfort.
As resilientg says the construction is important especially for a smaller sized boat.

Water makers are great but they use a lot of power, supplying this power is a challenge for a smaller boat with not much room for solar panels etc.
Don't fit a water maker without considering how to power it.
+1,000,000

It can be done of course, but comfort and seaworthiness (all other things being equal) go up dramatically with a little extra length. Now that average white boats are mostly 40' plus, older boats in the 34 to 37 foot range are not that much in demand and are as cheap as chips. For serious long range cruising, even on a drastic budget, I personally would be looking at something more like that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 06:13   #6

Both of those boats look like they would be good for long-distance cruising. Personally, I would rule out the Baba, just because teak decks are too much work and too prone to problems. But that's just me.

I'm sure either of those could be fitted with a desalinator. I'm also sure that it wouldn't be all that difficult to find room in either of those boats for an extra water tank or two.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 08:27   #7

Boat: endeavour 42
They are both pretty boats, but IMHO the Union is the better choice for living aboard (there being more room and all). And plus you could put solar panels on the hard bimini
yoda slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 09:48   #8

Boat: csy 37

yes, you can circle the world in a 30 foot boat - the first fiberglass boat to sail around the world was a thirty foot allied seawind. but if you're looking at 70 thousand dollar boats you can buy something more comfortable. and if you expect the wife to come along you had better consider her comforts.

both boats are ocean capable and both of them are way overpriced - the baba more than the union. you should be able to get an ocean capable boat in the 32 to 36 foot range for under forty thousand. if you're going small, look at the westsail 32 - dozens of them have gone around the world.

if you're lazy like me, stay away from teak decks. too much maintenance. get a diesel engine - not gasoline. a sloop or cutter rig. full keel with internal ballast (not bolt on). rudder and prop protection - no rudders hanging out in mid ocean on just the rudder shaft.

don't make electronics a deal breaker. a boat with little or no electronics may be cheaper and you will probably want to upgrade it anyway. lots of chain and big anchors is a plus. large fuel and water - especially water - tankage is a plus if you'll be away from land for weeks at a time. but you'll learn to save water pretty quickly the first time you have to haul it from shore in jerry jugs. learn to use salt water when you can and catch rainwater too. when i got really dirty from working on the engine i just sat in the cockpit while my wife dumped buckets of sea water over me - there are soaps that lather well in sea water.

and most important, start searching through this forum on any topic of interest to you. ask any question, no matter how dumb you think it is. ignore the naysayers.

and go now before it's too late....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 10:05   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There are small hand powerd water makers out there !! if ya want to have some water and don't mind a little work !! just a thought
Old 28-09-2012, 10:13   #10

Here's a report from a friend of mine who sailed from British Columbia to Mexico. It's, of course, not an ocean crossing, but the points he makes about his gear, especially about his watermaker, are valid to your question.

1500 Mile Interim Refit Report & 3596 Update

Good luck.

Don't forget the VAT if you want to bring the boat back to the UK for good. My understanding is it's like 17% or more of the boat value!!!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 06:09   #11

Thank you for all the tips. All useful and helping me going on looking for the "boat" I'll happy to sail with. I have had a look at the Westsail 32 and then moved to the 37' Hunter Cheribini which I thought might be convenient for me. Actually, I shall sail alone and at first or for cruising I shall look for an experienced crew to get some kind of apprenticeship. In the very beginning, I wish to sail around in Florida and later on to Canada and from there to the Caribbean Islands.

I have reviewed those two ads:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2240691&ybw=&units=F eet¤cy=USD&access=Public&listing_id=75905&url=
1979 Hunter 37 Cutter sailboat for sale in Maryland

What is your opinion? I Know one needs to be upgraded so I get what I want.
In your opinion what would be a rough figure of the yearly maintenance expenditures?

I shall remember to go before it is too late... very wise suggestion :-)