Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2018, 17:00   #1

Boat: Schooner scow
Deck Dinghy crane issues

I recently went to the dark side and sold my Morgan 462 Ketch then purchased a Chris-Craft Catalina 426 motoryacht. “Why” is for another session.

The new boat comes with a deck crane for launching and recovering a RIB. The crane has no markings on it and doesn’t work. It’s a metal tapered box structure about 6’ Long pivoting on a 6” column that extends from the aft deck hardtop to the bilge. At the end of the box arm is a 3/16”SS cable, weight and carabiner. The PO says he never used it and didn’t know how to operate it. It has a plastic screw out inspection hatch on the side of the arm and within it is a 120 vac power receptacle and a pendulum push button box with up and down push buttons.

I’m at a complete loss for getting this operational and am asking for any and all advice.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 22-06-2018, 17:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Deck Dinghy crane issues

Mainstreet...

First question:
Is it hydraulically operated, or purely electric?

Lie on the deck, and look up into the arm, near the root of the arm. Do you see a hydraulic cylinder? Or does it have a motor winch with cable mounted externally near the base of the arm?

Maybe post a quick picture?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 03:47   #3

Dave, There doesn’t appear to be any hydraulic ram or piston visible under the arm or anywhere else. On the outboard side of the arm there’s a 5/8”pin that goes through the arm. It can be turned about 90 degrees and has a steel plate attached that rotates with it. There is also a 1” roller riding in slots at the bottom of the arm that travels about 3”. I assume the unit is a 1988 vintage as it probably was original equipment on the boat.
Old 23-06-2018, 05:09   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstreet View Post
Dave, There doesn’t appear to be any hydraulic ram or piston visible under the arm or anywhere else. On the outboard side of the arm there’s a 5/8”pin that goes through the arm. It can be turned about 90 degrees and has a steel plate attached that rotates with it. There is also a 1” roller riding in slots at the bottom of the arm that travels about 3”. I assume the unit is a 1988 vintage as it probably was original equipment on the boat.
A few pictures would be really helpful.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 14:25   #5

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I think you should look under the deck mounting of this little crane--you may find the winch below decks and the lifting cable going up the Samson post and out along the jib.

If you wish to get it operational, a small 4WD recovery winch is cheap and electric and can be mounted below decks where it is dry. You will need to mount a bronze or stainless pulley if one does no already exist at the elbow where the jib meets the Samson post. There is enough twist in the cable to cover swinging the jib outboards and retrieving the dinghy once hoisted. You can use a simple deck-mounted windlass switch to operate the winch. A rocker type, forward and reverse should do it.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 15:27   #6

Sounds like your basic 120 volt electric crane. Unscrew the plastic cover and plug in a 120 volt cord and hit the down button. Make sure it's actually 120 and not 12 or 24 V.
Old_Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 09:33   #7

It would appear to be a simple 120 VAC crane. Although I’ve applied power, there is no action so the motor may be dead. Because it only has an “up and down” push button, I assume you lift the crane arm manually. Hopefully the photo attached will stir a memory with someone.
Old 25-06-2018, 09:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Geezer View Post
Sounds like your basic 120 volt electric crane. Unscrew the plastic cover and plug in a 120 volt cord and hit the down button. Make sure it's actually 120 and not 12 or 24 V.
When the inspection plate is removed a 120V receptical and up/down pushbuttons are accessible.

I’ve applied power but no action.

Tags
deck, dinghy