Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 07:06   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best dinghy under $3000

OK I'm sure that needs qualifying. For a 36' sailboat with davits that can handle most anything weight wise. Want a RIB. Desire is to be able to carry four adults if possible with essentially nothing else, or two with a load of groceries etc. 100 lbs engine weight. Two stroke is not an option unless I can buy one from someone bringing one back from where they can be bought, so I was considering the Suzuki 20 HP as it's lowest weight outboard I can find. I do not mind overpowering a dinghy a little, but would think I should have one rated for 15 HP if possible. I have enough sense to keep the power in check.
Best place to purchase would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:13   #2

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Best dinghy under $3000

I'll be buying an AB or Achilles Hypalon RIB for our next dinghy, 9.5 foot, for right about $3000.00. Stephan, the owner of Defender who has dinghies manufactured for his own company made a couple of very informative posts about a month ago about inflatable construction and materials on another dinghy thread.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-116441.html
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does Defender not have a 9' or so Hypalon one anymore, their brand?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:40   #4

Defender.com Search Results: Defender Inflatables Bam020F
Old 02-02-2014, 07:54   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Link inop,

Only Hypalon Defender dinghies I could find were smaller or the big like 14' ones. There is one 9 footer, but it's the display model and you have to go to the store and pick it up in person.
Not sure if that was purpose of link or not
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You will find that 9 ft is too short and difficult to plane. If you want a RIB, go with at least the 3.1 meter ones. I prefer aluminum to fiberglass, as they are lighter and stronger. Forget anything not made of hypalon and make sure that the builder has a good reputation with that model, as there are horror stories.

One option for the engine is get a 4 hp engine now, and pick up a 15hp 2-stroke when you leave the US. I use the smaller engine 95% of the time.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:06   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK I'm sure that needs qualifying. For a 36' sailboat with davits that can handle most anything weight wise. Want a RIB. Desire is to be able to carry four adults if possible with essentially nothing else, or two with a load of groceries etc. 100 lbs engine weight. Two stroke is not an option unless I can buy one from someone bringing one back from where they can be bought, so I was considering the Suzuki 20 HP as it's lowest weight outboard I can find. I do not mind overpowering a dinghy a little, but would think I should have one rated for 15 HP if possible. I have enough sense to keep the power in check.
Best place to purchase would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance
We got lucky and picked up a gently used 9.5 Caribe with 15 HP Mercury 2-stroke on a galvanized trailer for 2000.

I seriously doubt you will find a 15 - 20 HP 4-stroke that weighs less than 100#. BTW, our Nissan 15 - 4 stroke has automatic compression release on hand start. No-blister hand pull & I can start it seated. This is nicer as I get older.

You can still buy 2-stroke and with modern oil & fuel injection, some are made that pass California regs. You can also still buy used. We are in Michigan - the Mecca of used boats & motors. Shop all day in the newspapers or on line. VAN's in Grand Rapids is the mother load of used outboards. Their spring offering may be up to 600 used re-conditioned motors.

Plan on an outboard motor bracket and separate motor lift. You don't really want to travel with the motor on the dinghy.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You will find that 9 ft is too short and difficult to plane. If you want a RIB, go with at least the 3.1 meter ones. I prefer aluminum to fiberglass, as they are lighter and stronger. Forget anything not made of hypalon and make sure that the builder has a good reputation with that model, as there are horror stories.

One option for the engine is get a 4 hp engine now, and pick up a 15hp 2-stroke when you leave the US. I use the smaller engine 95% of the time.

This is the kind of info I needed, although I realize of course it's an opinion, but sounds like an informed opinion. Boat I'm looking at has a 12' beam, I assume a 3.1M long RIB isn't too big for a12' beam?
Be a long time before I can get to the islands, have to work now for five more years to build the sailing kitty as once I go, I'll be too old to be employable in my profession
Old 02-02-2014, 09:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Suzuki 20 HP is 97 lbs, I was surprised too http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...DF20A_EFI.aspx

How about this one? Or maybe get one of the Merc's for less money? http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...295&id=2164969
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Defender's links don't work? It's a Zodiac Cadet 310. Question is the Merc just as good a boat, is ther a Premium on just having the Zodiac name, or are there differences?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:16   #11

I don't know about the Defender link? I didn't look that closely.
We carry a 310 dinghy on deck and inflated and our beam is 11' 6". If I push it to one side I can walk past it easily but we're a pilothouse.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:08   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

There are a couple threads about the Suzuki product around here someplace. See posts by colemj...

One issue you might consider is about dinghy specs; our 3.10 RIB is certified for max hp = 15. FWIW, Suzuki makes that same model in a 15-hp version, too.

Our previous 9'6" dinghy was too small for 4 adults. Certified for it, but not comfortable. 11'2" (3.10) works much better. We may have been able to go larger, but that would have been pushing the limits of our beam at the transom... and since we dock stern-to most of the time, I thought better to avoid the bumper car effect.

-Chris
Old 03-02-2014, 07:20   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, Colemj got me looking at the little Zuk, I'd definitely go with the 20 HP for the same reasons he did. As far as I know the sticker isn't mandatory and the Zodiac 3.2 is rate for 20 HP anyway.
Only thing I don't like is the little Zuk sounds way more complex than I want a Dink motor to be
Old 03-02-2014, 07:43   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

$3,000 is tooo low a price, especialy if you are intending on having one big enough for a 20 hp engine.

I have a 9.5 foot AB that costs about $3,600

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
$3,000 is tooo low a price, especialy if you are intending on having one big enough for a 20 hp engine.

I have a 9.5 foot AB that costs about $3,600

Gotta have a budget somewhere, and since I'm buying the mothership too, it's either $3,000 for a dink, or just wait until I can afford to spend more. the Zodiac on Defenders website is a little less than $3,000 and rated for a 20 HP. I know I don't want to save by going to PVC.
On the HP thing, I think engine weight is the biggest issue not HP, just don't use more power than needed and I believe engines that are almost never run at 100% power output outlast ones that are often run wide open. My desire is something that will plane easily and then back way off the throttle as opposed to one that will just barely break over on plane if everyone leans forward and then you have to run it hard to keep it there.

Tags
dinghy