Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2013, 23:22   #16

Boat: Elan 434
Re: Beaching Leg

Hi Panope,
Love you work, looks very professional.
With this leg thingy, what about making it slide through a O ring so the lenght is adjustable?
I would also like 2 of em, one on each side?
Please shoot me down if its a stupid idea.
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 23:44   #17

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melani View Post
Hi Panope,
Love you work, looks very professional.
With this leg thingy, what about making it slide through a O ring so the lenght is adjustable?
I would also like 2 of em, one on each side?
Please shoot me down if its a stupid idea.
Derek
Thanks Melani,

Your ideas are definitely not Stupid. If you do a google picture search for "beaching leg" (or go to the link that goboatingnow provided above) you will see that 2 legs, one on each side is the norm. Many are adjustable through simple telescoping with multiple hole choices for a set pin or the more elaborate jack screw.

Not sure why and O-ring is needed?

I am trying to break the rules by having a shorter and very heavy duty leg that can withstand a bit a "list" and therefore only need one.

Time will tell if it is my idea that is the stupid one.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 00:10   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

This is what happened the first time I tried out legs.

Should have dumped the chain and anchor on the beach emptying the water tanks would have helped too.

Once settled, she was a darn sight more stable than on jackstands.

photo IMG_0315.jpg&quot;/></a>" border="0" alt="" onload="NcodeImageResizer.createOn(this);" />
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 00:48   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Seen that a few times! - Panope no problems on that side!

My guess on the single leg approach is about onboard storage - a real PITA!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 20:49   #20

I posted this in duplicate on my construction thread (sorry Mods).

Got a chance to test the beaching leg today. Worked good.

Scrubbed bottom after 32 days in water with nothing but epoxy primer on the bottom. I will probably wait longer next time as the soft growth was minimal and the barnacles were only 1/8 inch tall.

Drove the boat onto the beach at 10:30 a.m. at about +3 feet with tide falling rapidly. Low tide was at 1:30 p.m. at -0.2 feet.

The weight of the boom and Mainsail was sufficient to get things leaning the right way.

I took an anchor out on the "high side" as a precaution. I was unsure if the beaching leg's foot was large enough to not sink into the sand. The sub-strait was sand and gravel that allowed the foot to settle only 1 inch. Next time I will leave the anchors on-board.

I will never apply anti-fouling paint again.

Steve
Old 03-06-2014, 11:58   #21

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I posted this in duplicate on my construction thread (sorry Mods).

Got a chance to test the beaching leg today. Worked good.

Scrubbed bottom after 32 days in water with nothing but epoxy primer on the bottom. I will probably wait longer next time as the soft growth was minimal and the barnacles were only 1/8 inch tall.

Drove the boat onto the beach at 10:30 a.m. at about +3 feet with tide falling rapidly. Low tide was at 1:30 p.m. at -0.2 feet.

The weight of the boom and Mainsail was sufficient to get things leaning the right way.

I took an anchor out on the "high side" as a precaution. I was unsure if the beaching leg's foot was large enough to not sink into the sand. The sub-strait was sand and gravel that allowed the foot to settle only 1 inch. Next time I will leave the anchors on-board.

I will never apply anti-fouling paint again.

Steve
NICE! Well, I've been taking notes, as we have a steel beast well suited to a similar set up...and a "beaching leg" is a damn sight easier to carry around than are a bunch of jackstands! I gather you would favour the leeward side for the leg, or you wouldn't attempt this outside of light air weather?

Here's our boat's hull: we have enough of a long keel to sit on, with not much needed to balance on the offset side.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 13:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
NICE! Well, I've been taking notes, as we have a steel beast well suited to a similar set up...and a "beaching leg" is a damn sight easier to carry around than are a bunch of jackstands! I gather you would favour the leeward side for the leg, or you wouldn't attempt this outside of light air weather?

Here's our boat's hull: we have enough of a long keel to sit on, with not much needed to balance on the offset side.
Light air for sure. Let's say nothing over 15 knots.

Windward or leeward side does not matter. In fact, during this beaching, the (ten knot) wind swapped 180 degrees so we had both.

Now that I have confidence that the leg's foot will not sink into the substrait, I can always load the downhill side with lots of weight (dingy full of water hanging from boom?) or take an anchor out if strong wind threatens to tip the boat up over the high side.

Ultimately, two legs (one on each side) will give the most confidence. I chose one simply because it was cheaper and easier to build. I do have the ability to rig the leg to either side of the boat.

Steve
Old 03-06-2014, 14:05   #23

Brings a new meaning to "Hangin' Out!"

You guys with 12 foot tides get all the luck, all we get here is 4 feet unless it's spring tides!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 19:29   #24

Update.

Beached the boat this morning for the third (and last) time this spring/summer. I increased the size of the leg's "foot" from about 1 square foot to 2 square feet. Previously, the foot penetrated the sub-strait 2 or 3 inches. This time the foot did not sink in at all.

I put the boat higher up on the beach this time. It worked great having the slope of the beach match perfectly the slope of the bottom of Panope's keel. This is good because previously (with the keel's "heel" contacting first") the bow could drift to port or starboard for the first 10 or 15 minutes. Now, using this position of the beach, The boat grinds to a halt (from a 1.5 kt approach) and is immediately immobilized.

Timing was different also. Boat was driven on beach at 3:45 a.m.. I have a GPS position that I try and hit exactly as It avoids a couple of half buried logs. With no moon or shore lights I found that steering by the instruments for the last 100 feet or so was not very accurate. Ended up right between the two logs. No biggie had I settled on one of them has they only stick above the sub-strait a couple of inches.

Tide was about halfway out when the sun came up.

Steve

Old 21-09-2014, 21:22   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Beautiful morning picture.

Is that Commencement Bay?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 21:46   #26

Thanks, Port Townsend.