Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2014, 05:23   #16

Re: Winter Sail Removable - Why?

The head sail comes off. It's more exposed to UV damage and a broken line could lead to an unfurling.

Mainsail, we've done it both ways and never had an issue with mildew. Then again, if it get's stuffed in a bag which is stuffed in the sail locker, that probably get's less air flow and more likely to develop mildew. Our sail cover is in good shape and as long as it fully covers the sail, I can't see how it will be much worse off (if we were in a huricane area, I would think differently).

If wind on the sail cover knocks your boat over, you had a poorly blocked boat. Then again, we have a catamaran, so we really can't fall over.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 05:55   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We have never taken the Main sail off of any sailboat we have ever owned.
For our catamaran we just cover it with a couple layers of tarp. Then put the boat cover on.

For in mast sails on our Catalina 380 we would just cover the bottom part that stuck out of the mast.

Never had any issues.

We just take the jib off because we cannot cover it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter cover and main sail rap.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	90086  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 11:16   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

I bet there more people leaving their sails on than admit it. think I'll walk around and survey the boat yard this year and find out, and whether it is a size dependent thing also.
Old 21-10-2014, 12:54   #19
cruiser

Sailorboy,

Don't do it, or you'll be sorry come spring.

Definitely take down the jib, don't leave it furled because the cover only protects against UV, water will continuously blanket the sail. If your main is furled into the mast, you're OK to leave that one on, just cover up the piece that sticks out. If the main is stowed in a canvas bag, it's safest to take that one in too, otherwise it's exposed to moisture and the freeze thaw, which is perfect for mold growth under the cover. Same with the jib, you'll end up with dirt/mold stripes down the sail which are nearly impossible to wash off.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 14:11   #20
CLOD

I'm taking the headsail off. But I'm seriously not planning to take the main off this year. As I've said I did it once a couple of years ago because of weather/schedule and in the spring there was nothing wrong with the sail or any mold.
Old 21-10-2014, 18:41   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by svTOTEM View Post
True about the storage environment; and wrong about creases and folds with a Dutchman system.
What I was not clear on was that the "problem" of maintaining the creases is not as difficult as teh problems of mildew.

Why not drop the main and stow it at home exactly as it would lay on the boom?

SB is gonna do what he is gonna do. Other folks look at an hours work to drop and maybe 2 hours to reinstall as good insurance.

My sails are in my storage room in my climate controlled house.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 03:06   #22
CLOD

Got to love forums, ask a question get international insults.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-10-2014, 03:17   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

SB - If you are referring to me, no insult meant. It is an opinion not an insult.

so...

"Got to love forums, ask a question and get a whole slew of opinions."

That's how it works...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 05:21   #24
cruiser

Sailorboy,

Why do you ask a question even though you already know what you plan on doing? Then you lash out at some of the respondents offering well thought out answers?

My response and warning comes from having had a couple of lazy caretakers leave my sails on over one winter, and now I'm having to deal with the cost and hassle to remove resulting stains. Didn't want you to experience the same problem.

Your thread seems like a big waste of everyone's time. IMHO
Old 22-10-2014, 06:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sailorboy,

Don't do it, or you'll be sorry come spring.

Definitely take down the jib, don't leave it furled because the cover only protects against UV, water will continuously blanket the sail. If your main is furled into the mast, you're OK to leave that one on, just cover up the piece that sticks out. If the main is stowed in a canvas bag, it's safest to take that one in too, otherwise it's exposed to moisture and the freeze thaw, which is perfect for mold growth under the cover. Same with the jib, you'll end up with dirt/mold stripes down the sail which are nearly impossible to wash off.
Why would he be sorry for leaving the main up in a well constructed sail cover?

I along with others have said they have done it with no issues, so it's not a foregone conclusion that death and destruction will result.
Old 22-10-2014, 07:07   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Why would he be sorry for leaving the main up in a well constructed sail cover?

I along with others have said they have done it with no issues, so it's not a foregone conclusion that death and destruction will result.
Some I guess just like to argue. Sailorboy lives in New England, so his sail under a sail cover will be out in extremely harsh weather for months. Fine, he can keep his sail on if he wants, I really don't care; then he can deal with any problems associated with his decision in the Spring.

I await the future sailorboy1 thread probably titled: "WTF... How Do I get These Stains Out?"
Old 22-10-2014, 08:20   #27

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Our main lives on the boom year round. The only mildew we developed was two months up the rio dulce.....it went wild there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 11:40   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Some I guess just like to argue. Sailorboy lives in New England, so his sail under a sail cover will be out in extremely harsh weather for months. Fine, he can keep his sail on if he wants, I really don't care; then he can deal with any problems associated with his decision in the Spring.

I await the future sailorboy1 thread probably titled: "WTF... How Do I get These Stains Out?"
I'm from the Great Lakes area, similar extremely harsh weather and never had an issue. See lots of boats leave the mainsail on.

I can buy
- the roller furled sails
- in hurricane zone
- if the mainsail cover is in bad shape so it's not doing it's job.

Otherwise, I'm not seeing it as a big issue.
Old 25-10-2014, 04:51   #29
CLOD

seems some people really can not handle a break from the herd on this winter sail removal thing
Old 25-10-2014, 05:29   #30

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I tried it once and did not have good results -- in southern NY. The sail became very grimy and had some mildew growth in the seams and some folds (where water collected) that never came out. It's really impressive how pervasive the winter winds can be when it comes to delivering dust and airborne pollution into the most obscure areas.

I also viewed a boat for sale that had been in storage on the hard for about 4 years with sail cover on, located on the Maryland shore. To put it bluntly, the sails had turned to garbage. I'm quite sure that if stored indoors they would have been close the the same condition the owner had left them.

You can do what you want, it's your sail.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail