Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 06:55   #1

What the heck are these?

Hi! Thanks for reading. My dreamboat is the PSC Crealock 44, but I love the idea of long, clean stretch of deck space to lounge around in the sun while at anchor or under sail, which presents a problem.

Upon taking a closer look at my dreamboat online [Before I purchased one, thankfully], I realized that this one might not have what I want. It has what looks like four ugly [imo] vents sticking out of the top and rounded forward like semi-trailer truck exhausts or something.

Can you tell me what they are and what they are used for? Do you think it would be possible to pull them off and seal the holes so that I can have that long, sexy deckspace to sprawl across in the sun?

Hard work doesn't scare me, it's the thought of having to re-route anything important from those escapes to somewhere else in the boat. I was thinking if only the 2 foremost vents could be removed and re-routed to join the rearmost vents, maybe that would work? But I haven't been able to even find out what they actually are.

Anyone have a creative solution for these eyesores?

(Pics Below)

Here in the pdf brochure for the Crealock 44, you can see what they look like from afar in the first two photos.

PSC Crealock 44 PDF Brochure

This is a close-up photo of the obnoxious-looking pipes on the deck:

Ideas?
Old 07-03-2016, 06:58   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: What the heck are these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumKrazy View Post
Hi! Thanks for reading. My dreamboat is the PSC Crealock 44, but I love the idea of long, clean stretch of deck space to lounge around in the sun while at anchor or sailing with others.

Upon taking a closer look at my dreamboat online [Before I purchased one, thankfully], I realized that this one might not have what I want. It has what looks like four ugly [imo] vents sticking out of the top and rounded forward like semi-trailer truck exhausts or something.

Can you tell me what they are and what they are used for? Do you think it would be possible to pull them off and seal the holes so that I can have that long, sexy deckspace to sprawl across in the sun?

Hard work doesn't scare me, it's the thought of having to re-route anything important from those escapes to somewhere else in the boat. I was thinking if only the 2 foremost vents could be removed and re-routed to join the rearmost vents, maybe that would work? But I haven't been able to even find out what they actually are.

(Pics Below)

Here in the pdf brochure for the Crealock 44, you can see what they look like from afar in the first two photos.

They are called dorades and supply fresh air to the salon below deck. They can be turned so they face backwards and still allow fresh air to come n even though the deck may be awash in seawater during heavy sailing.

Not meaning to be obnoxious - but I thinnk you need to learn a lot more about sailing and sailboats before buying one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:03   #3

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumKrazy View Post
Hi! Thanks for reading. My dreamboat is the PSC Crealock 44, but I love the idea of long, clean stretch of deck space to lounge around in the sun while at anchor or under sail, which presents a problem.

(Pics Below)

Ideas?
===

Surely you jest.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:04   #4

When you anchor some place with mosquitoes them things are designed to catch and kill them , I would leave em right there !
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:06   #5

Thank you for the responses. I agree entirely about needing to learn more about sailing before I start, I appreciate your candid input.

To be honest, I suspected that they might be some kind of circulation vents but couldn't find a straight answer even in the brochure.

I found some vent designs at vetus.com and thought that they seemed very similar in nature to the pipes.

Do you think it would be a problem to remove the foremost "dorades" and seal them up? Or maybe even all 4?

Don't get me wrong I understand the importance of ventilation, circulation, etc, but this just doesn't strike me as a particularly stunning or even super useful design feature.

I'm simply asking candid questions about a subject for which I obviously still have a lot of learning to do.

Thanks again for reading and for the responses.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:17   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

If you don't like the idea of having dorades on the cabin house, why not find a boat without them instead of taking them off and sealing the deck?
My point is that there are a lot of boat designs to choose from and it is easier to start with one that you like in the first place.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Most Dorades pop off and have caps that fit in their place for really heavy off shore weather. But they are incredibly useful in getting fresh air below. As well as keeping things dry, since the boxes act as coffer damns for water.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

To provide some more info, the larger vents are attached to Dorade Boxes, the wooden structure, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorade_box) named after a beautiful 1920's yacht (named after a fish) that is still sailing out of Newport Beach, California. The 'pipes' surrounding the vents prevent the various lines that run around this area from catching on a vent and tearing it off. The box itself reduces the chance or water intrusion into the boat through baffles, but limits airflow hence the larger number and size compared to a simple opening port. They were probably designed into this vessel at considerable cost to make it more comfortable below, and therefore appeal to cruising sailors (hence the reaction on removing them). Like anything on a fiberglass boat, they can be modified or removed with some work, glass mat, and epoxy. I suggest before deciding, spend a few days at sea in weather that forces every port closed.
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:29   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dorades and cowls are designed to grant you in and outflow when underway and ports are not opened. removing them is a FAIL you need not live with. there is nothing like living in an airless environment. yes these vents help a LOT.
the mast pulpits and protectors for the dorades and cowls are protective. handy for use at sea. remove and be a forever dock queen with greatly reduced selling potential.
there is no reason to reduce a beautifully equipped cruiser into a stripped out dock queen.

why dont you look at trawlers, if you so dislike the appearance of a cruising sailboat???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:30   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What the heck are these?

Lounging about on flat decks in the sun.. Yeh okay
If you buy that boat I suggest you get down to the sun before you start ripping them off..
Lounging on deck in the sun soon gets very old and you'll be hunting for all the shade and cool breeze you can get.. out on the hook these are a blessing providing natural movement of air in the boat.

I know, I know.. you'll have air conditioning..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:53   #11

Actually, you know I am not even sure whether or not the Crealock 44 has A/C. Never bothered to check. (I guess I just assume most cruisers over a certain size probably have one.) Not that it's a deal breaker either way.

However, having a cruiser is my dream. I got hung-up on Crealock designs because Mr. Bill Crealock always said he designed them for cruising first and foremost, not luxury. I have every intention to circumnavigate one day, maybe multiple times, even if it takes me another ten years to prepare for it. Crealock designs have always struck me as some of the most durable designs ever penned based off of what I've learned about him and the designs themselves.

I guess I thought that if his designs are so rock-solid, why would there be massive holes in the deck to allow ventilation and a high risk of sinking in bad weather? Surely he didn't intend to scuttle his most advanced designs?

If those dorades are removable or have the ability to be sealed from the inside in fowl weather, then it makes a lot more sense to have them. As I'm still super green, the fact that everyone's saying the same thing about how useful they are is making me reconsider. Maybe, in fact, I shouldn't consider a boat without dorade vents.

I actually loved hearing the history behind dorade boxes and am currently reading through the wiki article that you provided, JT. Thanks for that.

I never would've guessed that this type of setup would be so good for circulation.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:54   #12

Dorades invaluable for ventilation down south...along with numerous fans. Wish I had the protective cages shown. Sheets could not snag and possibly yank dorades out by their roots, Pics indicate they are of a well thought out boat.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:55   #13

If you do not know what these are you need to really take some boating lessons. and beside that you would be crazy to remove them...they are qhat makes the boat and actually are quite beautiful. It would be a shame to ruin the lines of the boat....you best look at other boats and learn a lot more before buying.
flgypsysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:00   #14

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

As everyone else has stated, those dorades vents are a fantastic feature. I don't like the vertical fastenings in the aft ones though. If these haven't already begun to rot I'd be surprised.

You can't have enough ventilation below decks and as Boatman61 points out laying about on deck is not only overrated but detrimental to your health.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:03   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Oh indeed they are so ugly! As a generous offer should you purchase boat just remove them and send to me and I'll dispose of them properly in a safe ecological manner by putting those ugly creatures on my boat.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dorade, ventilation