Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2019, 16:13   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Winch driver, not Milwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohull View Post
No it isn’t, is the idea of ratcheting is not comparable to the impact drive.
This is the mechanical definition of ratcheting

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/ratcheting

What are you calling ratcheting? Do you mean the wobble drive a power ratchet uses?
https://www.ingersollrandproducts.co...chet-work.html

A power ratchet works by an offset pin swinging a yoke to turn the drive, it’s similar to an impact in that it’s not a smooth motion at all, the drive is “knocked” several thousand times a minute by the offset pin, and that impacts shock loads, which help to loosen a bolt but will play havoc with a winch over time.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 17:53   #17

Boat: SeaWind 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This is the mechanical definition of ratcheting

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/ratcheting

What are you calling ratcheting? Do you mean the wobble drive a power ratchet uses?

A power ratchet works by an offset pin swinging a yoke to turn the drive, it’s similar to an impact in that it’s not a smooth motion at all, the drive is “knocked” several thousand times a minute by the offset pin, and that impacts shock loads, which help to loosen a bolt but will play havoc with a winch over time.
Thanks for the all the info,
In my primitive world we say “RATCHED”, and there isn’t a question what it is.
twohull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 18:40   #18

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

I do not know what specific unit the OP is using, but an impact wrench and power ratcheting wrench are totally different tools. Impact tools use an internal hammer to drive the nut/bolt by repeating impacts. A power ratchet has a smooth turning motion when power is applied but can also (in most designs) be used mechanically without power.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 18:52   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Winch driver, not Milwau

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I do not know what specific unit the OP is using, but an impact wrench and power ratcheting wrench are totally different tools. Impact tools use an internal hammer to drive the nut/bolt by repeating impacts. A power ratchet has a smooth turning motion when power is applied but can also (in most designs) be used mechanically without power.
No it doesn’t, it hits and turns the head about 20 degrees, and stops, then the pin comes around again and hits again and you get another 20 degrees or so.
This isn’t the device your thinking, for instance the motor does not reverse direction, to reverse direction the ratchet inside of the head is changed, you see the pin hits in both directions, but the ratchet only catches the direction you have selected.
Read the link, the tool hits about 5000 times a minute, it’s not at all a smooth motion.

They are used manually to break the bolt loose and once loose the drive is engaged to remove the nut/ bolt. It doesn’t have the torque to break most fasteners loose.

I only have air tools myself but I see now with I guess high power lipo batteries being common now they are also electric.
Old 18-12-2019, 19:29   #20

Re: Winch driver, not Milwau

Quote:
No it doesn’t, it hits and turns the head about 20 degrees, and stops, then the pin comes around again and hits again and you get another 20 degrees or so.
This isn’t the device your thinking, for instance the motor does not reverse direction, to reverse direction the ratchet inside of the head is changed, you see the pin hits in both directions, but the ratchet only catches the direction you have selected.
Read the link, the tool hits about 5000 times a minute, it’s not at all a smooth motion.

They are used manually to break the bolt loose and once loose the drive is engaged to remove the nut/ bolt. It doesn’t have the torque to break most fasteners loose.

I only have air tools myself but I see now with I guess high power lipo batteries being common now they are also electric.
I used many impact and power ratchets and drivers in my professional career. If your tool impacted, it was not a power driver.
My 1/4in drive, and 3/8in driver power drivers would smoothly turn the fastener until maximum torque was reach then stop, no impacting, no roughness of any kind. I have owned both air powered impacts in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4, all of which impact the fastener.
Both air and electric power drivers did not.
What you are describing is an impact wrench (3/8 chicago tools or harbor freight for about $30) and while it does ratchet it doesn't really impact the fastener anything above about 40-50 ft-lbs will cause it to stop (it doesn't sit there and impact)
An true impact tool will keep impacting as long as you hold the trigger.
A true power driver (air) was around $300 20 years ago, smooth as an electric motor.
Old 18-12-2019, 19:42   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Read the link, read how the manufacturer of the tool describes its operation.
This isn’t me describing it, it’s the people that make it. Yes they do come to a stop when bound down, but as they are coming to a stop if you have used them, you have felt it jumping around before it binds down and that is the pin hitting the yoke, and that’s what it does under a load, and operating a winch, it’s going to be under a load.
Old 18-12-2019, 20:30   #22

Quote:
Haha you fail to understand writen wards, as a SOMEBODY on this site you shall spend more time reading, less kicking
OK, I do give up, but , but how do you call my body movement when rowing my dinghy? in-out? : bend-streach?: or impact on my limbs
Old 18-12-2019, 21:22   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So, whether or not it utilizes impact to turn the drive, how much torque does it really produce and at what speed does the drive rotate under load?

These are the criteria that determine whether it is useful as a winch driver on a yacht. I'd be real happy if there was a inexpensive and light weight substitute for the Milwaukee, but I will need to see some serious numbers before I get my hopes up.

REmember, to be useful a winch driver must both run fairly fast under light load AND produce a lot of torque at lower speed to grind in the sheet or raise me up the mast. And BTW, getting Jim (me) up the mast fairly quickly and with minimal effort on Ann's part is one of the really useful applications for a winch driver.

And finally, if you never need to drill holes in your boat you ain't a cruising sailor!

Jim
Old 18-12-2019, 23:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Jim
Hi Jim, haha, thanks for logical response,
Yes, you are right, the ratio of the ratchet revolution speed compare to a hand crank isn’t comparable.
Old 19-12-2019, 03:11   #25

Quote:
Read the link, read how the manufacturer of the tool describes its operation.
This isn’t me describing it, it’s the people that make it. Yes they do come to a stop when bound down, but as they are coming to a stop if you have used them, you have felt it jumping around before it binds down and that is the pin hitting the yoke, and that’s what it does under a load, and operating a winch, it’s going to be under a load.
I read it, in fact since I missed your description of how it impacts the fastener I did a word search, seems 'impact' is not on the page anywhere.

As already noted by others, speed and torque for the job will determine of the tool is adequate for winch work.

Tags
winch