Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Winch driver, not Milwaukee (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/winch-driver-not-milwaukee-227437.html)

twohull 06-12-2019 21:51

Winch driver, not Milwaukee

1 Attachment(s)
For hoisting main it is sufficient, instead of constantly revolving chuck it ratchets to achieve the spin,

Jim Cate 06-12-2019 23:27

Re: Winch driver, not Milwaukee

So what is it? Pretty picture does not give any info... and it looks kinda like an air powered tool, but that doesn't make sense on a boat!

Jim

twohull 07-12-2019 01:07

[QUOTE=Jim Cate;3030904]So what is it?

Jim, thanks for your interest. The orange tool is cordless ratchet 18v instead of air pressure one, and the “socket” is home made from bronze “winch crank”. There is significantly large amount of vibration, so bronze isn’t best material for the socket.

GordMay 07-12-2019 03:10

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, TwoHulls.

twohull 07-12-2019 03:31

Thanks Gord May, happy to be here,

SV Bacchus 07-12-2019 05:54

So the $64 question: After buying the tool and making the 'socket', are you that much money ahead? Or more simply asked, how much have you got in the thing?

All that aside, Welcome Aboard!

tkeithlu 07-12-2019 06:12

Bronze and impact: Firefighters (firemen in that era) used to "round" hose connectors that had been run over by vehicles (and egged) by holding one and tapping it lightly hundreds of times with a small hammer. The bronze gradually reshapes to a round fitting.

Even some steels are too gummy to handle impact. I destroyed a clamp type cable swaging tool by tightening the bolts with a Dewalt 1/4 inch battery impact driver.

twohull 07-12-2019 17:26

SV Bacchus thanks for welcoming me.
About my initial post, my project is an idea not the solution, it is possible that socket will become worn on square hardened steel drive but there is significant difference in achieving movement, of the winch drum, by ratchet motion and impact drive motion. I do believe the socket destruction beyond any further use will eventually happen, but not tomorrow.
If anybody will be interested to use this idea and have means of manufacturing winch socket in steel, please make two of them, I’ll buy one from you, thanks.

a64pilot 07-12-2019 19:24

I believe that this is an electric impact? If so the winch likely isn’t going to like that, and if you haven’t proved winches lately sit down when you do.

JPA Cate 08-12-2019 00:04

Hi, twohull,

Our Milwaukee right angle drill not only winches Jim up the mast, and cranks winches, but also drills holes....What's to not like? it serves more than one purpose.

Ann

a64pilot 08-12-2019 07:39

One assumes this device is much smaller, lighter and less expensive than the Milwaukee.
But until or unless the OP comes back my speculation that it’s an impact will remain so. His explanation makes it sound as if it is.

ptards 08-12-2019 08:22

"Google Lens" identifies it as an 18V unbranded Cordless 3/8" non-impact, electric ratchet available for $56 on ebay. Torque 60N. Looks like a piece of junk to my trained eye. I'm a pro mechanic and use Milwaukee products every day, my ratchets and impact quns out torque the more expensive Snap-on tools. Also not sure if "60N" is supposed to be 60Nm which would be approx 44.2537 ft-lb. Not very much torque at all.

twohull 18-12-2019 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Bacchus (Post 3030985)
So the $64 question: After buying the tool and making the 'socket', are you that much money ahead? Or more simply asked, how much have you got in the thing?

All that aside, Welcome Aboard!

Yes, I’m, “winch socket” may be used on variety drives, it is 3/8 drive, $64 or $164 or $1064 is there any diffff....

twohull 18-12-2019 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 3031458)
I believe that this is an electric impact? If so the winch likely isn’t going to like that, and if you haven’t proved winches lately sit down when you do.

No it isn’t, is the idea of ratcheting is not comparable to the impact drive.

twohull 18-12-2019 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPA Cate (Post 3031537)
Hi, twohull,

Our Milwaukee right angle drill not only winches Jim up the mast, and cranks winches, but also drills holes....What's to not like? it serves more than one purpose.

Ann

Thanks, “Jim up the mast” is not my favourite exercise and drilling holes in my boat are some how un desired, haha,