Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 15:05   #31
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

I would think another reason for webbing is unmistakeability. It's going to be the only peice of webbing around so no one is going to accidently tie themselves to the wrong line.
__________________

__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:57   #32
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I would think another reason for webbing is unmistakeability. It's going to be the only peice of webbing around so no one is going to accidently tie themselves to the wrong line.
That's actually a really good point. Could be awkward if you clipped yourself into the wrong line when the sh## really hits the fan.
__________________

__________________
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:33   #33
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
After Celestial tells the story about the boom (gooseneck) being ripped off the mast I'll verify that it is correct. "It was a dark and stormy night........"
......SkiprJohn and I were off-watch when at around 4am. I loud crunching bang was heard. Robert who was on watch yelled bellow that the main sheet had broken. I thought to myself..."D'oh"! I went on deck to see the end of the boom lying on the side deck. It was so dark, I could not see the mast.
Here here we come to life lines...They only work if you snap yourself into them. I was so focused on the boom that I crawled up the weather deck. It was so stormy that I still couldn't see the problem. Even in foulies I was soaked to the bone in 54 degree water. I felt around until I felt all 6 of the 3/8" lags had tore out of the mast. My boat then was a 25000 lb. Ingrid 38. We barely had 40% of the fore-triangle out and we were still doing around 7+ knots. She was charging so hard, she had a bone in her teeth. (How am I doing John?) Suddenly a wall of green water came charging down the fore deck. (ok...I don't know what color it was because it was dark). A second before it hit me is when I realized I did not have my harness on. I wrapped my legs around the mast and hugged it tight as I heard my crew scream..."HOLD ON"!
I had a milk jug basket lashed to the mast filled with random lines (don't ask me why I do that now). I lashed the end of the boom to a grab rail as the bow disappeared two more times under water and then went back to the safety of the cockpit...ok happy?
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:43   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Posts: 607
Images: 9
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
......SkiprJohn and I were off-watch when at around 4am. I loud crunching bang was heard. Robert who was on watch yelled bellow that the main sheet had broken. I thought to myself..."D'oh"! I went on deck to see the end of the boom lying on the side deck. It was so dark, I could not see the mast.
Here here we come to life lines...They only work if you snap yourself into them. I was so focused on the boom that I crawled up the weather deck. It was so stormy that I still couldn't see the problem. Even in foulies I was soaked to the bone in 54 degree water. I felt around until I felt all 6 of the 3/8" lags had tore out of the mast. My boat then was a 25000 lb. Ingrid 38. We barely had 40% of the fore-triangle out and we were still doing around 7+ knots. She was charging so hard, she had a bone in her teeth. (How am I doing John?) Suddenly a wall of green water came charging down the fore deck. (ok...I don't know what color it was because it was dark). A second before it hit me is when I realized I did not have my harness on. I wrapped my legs around the mast and hugged it tight as I heard my crew scream..."HOLD ON"!
I had a milk jug basket lashed to the mast filled with random lines (don't ask me why I do that now). I lashed the end of the boom to a grab rail as the bow disappeared two more times under water and then went back to the safety of the cockpit...ok happy?
Why do you have a milk jug lashed to your mast??????
__________________
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:45   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Posts: 607
Images: 9
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Why do you have a milk jug lashed to your mast??????
pardon me - milk jug BASKET
__________________
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:46   #36
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Sounds right to me except not embellished enough, hurricane force winds, 60 foot seas, clawing off a lee shore, giant squids hanging on amidships, etc., etc.. I pretty much was sound asleep until we needed to go up after daybreak to see the damage and see what could be done to secure the boom and get the sail situated. Then, we wore harnesses and clipped on to the jacklines. Still hard going with water coming down both sides the boat when we hit the back side of the waves.
Martin's actions were heroic and he's the second friend I've sailed with who leaped into action not remembering to harness and hook up. I think there is an overwhelming urge to get the job done and safety be hanged when the adrenaline is running high. Now, out in weather like that I sleep in my harness when off watch. When I was younger and sailing in the 70s and 80s I don't remember hooking up or wearing a life jacket when we were doing interisland sails. I wouldn't do that anymore.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:48   #37
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
pardon me - milk jug BASKET
It was another dark and stormy night.....ah...nevermind!
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:06   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 223
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Webbing can also be hallow, in which one can sew in an elastic, so it isn't always is the way, can't do that with rope.
__________________
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:06   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Flat webbing vs line or wire for jacklines? Either way, it isn't good to step on the jacklines and I believe that most jacklines will hug the cabin sides if set up taut enough. I use old wire rigging and if I step on it it'll roll. I've been on boats with flat webbing and it's hard to tighten it enough to keep it from stretching, especially when wet and when you need it most. If you step on flat webbing it might slide under your feet so just don't step on your jacklines.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:11   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efraim View Post
Webbing can also be hollow, in which one can sew in an elastic, so it isn't always in the way, can't do that with rope.
Not a bad idea. If high enough that would keep it off the deck.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:26   #41
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Sounds right to me except not embellished enough, hurricane force winds, 60 foot seas, clawing off a lee shore, giant squids hanging on amidships, etc., etc.. I pretty much was sound asleep until we needed to go up after daybreak to see the damage and see what could be done to secure the boom and get the sail situated. Then, we wore harnesses and clipped on to the jacklines. Still hard going with water coming down both sides the boat when we hit the back side of the waves.
Martin's actions were heroic and he's the second friend I've sailed with who leaped into action not remembering to harness and hook up. I think there is an overwhelming urge to get the job done and safety be hanged when the adrenaline is running high. Now, out in weather like that I sleep in my harness when off watch. When I was younger and sailing in the 70s and 80s I don't remember hooking up or wearing a life jacket when we were doing interisland sails. I wouldn't do that anymore.
Decks awash, it's night, major hardware is failing, crew on foredeck not lashed in, you are off watch and sleeping...

You are doing it right - LOL

Did the off-coming-watch have the coffee made when you came up? Slackers...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:37   #42
Registered User
 
susanna reiter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Posts: 202
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

OMG....sounds really familiar..and thanks for sharing. My hubby and I were taking our 40'Ted Hood Gulfstar on a run down from Morro Bay to Santa Barbara around the notorious Point Conception...it was Jan 3, 2005. I had been at the helm for some time and the confused seas were something else..one jolt.sent our Flag right out of the flag staff socket on the stern....anyway...It was Jon's turn to take the wheel and I went below to get some rest... I went to sleep but after a bit...I heard sounds coming from the foredeck...it sounded like chain or something being pulled across the starboard foredeck or some nature of scrambling up above me...that roused me out of my sleep enough to yell at Jon..who by that time, thankfully was back in the cockpit. He reported that an anchor rode had gone over board and he had gone forward to pull it in...no harness of course.no clip on a jack line..I shudder to think what could have happened..He could have fallen overboard and there I was slumbering away below....never again...harnesses ..absolutely...you betcha...for the safety of everyone on board. :/... and that's my "dark and stormy night story"......
__________________
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:57   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: seattle
Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Posts: 586
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Was that the guy who came into ER with a boom up his butt? Rope tape does not matter I crawl in anything more than ideal flat seas.
__________________
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 20:36   #44
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 502
Images: 2
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
West Marine is about the biggest rip-off going!
Amen, you can take those words to rhe bank and cash in. I hate getting screwed by those crooks.....Michael...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 20:49   #45
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 502
Images: 2
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

My Haida has all lines running to the cockpit, now I'm changing them back to old school. I had so many lines running on tthe deck that it is actually dangerous to go to the foredeck. The olnly safe way is to crawl. Yes clipped into jacklines. In the 70's alway's wore my harness, but no life jacket...Michael..
__________________

rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Jacklines

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Use Flat Webbing as Jacklines Instead of Rope ? Snore Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 127 21-04-2012 07:53
The Hidden Dangers of Cruising svpattyd Liveaboard's Forum 79 18-04-2012 15:22
Crew Wanted: Islands of Atlantic France & Rias of Spain RogerLloyd Crew Archives 1 19-03-2012 07:08
Rust from Screws of Rubber Fender rotorman Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 05-03-2012 01:28
Cruising to Sea of Cortez ... masallah 007 Destinations 1 04-03-2012 18:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.