Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2012, 13:49   #121

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Why Use Flat Webbing as Jacklines Instead of Rope ?

Two points ( or maybe more, I cant help myself), points that in a thread of 120 posts have probably already been made, but what the heck, .

So much focus on tethers and jack lines, many don't realize that they will slip right out of their fancy schmancy expensive harness. These harnesses may look dapper but the minute full load is placed on them they are not the life saving devices they appear to be. Please, test your harnesses, hoist yourself up by a halyard ( just a few inches). see how long you last under full load. can you breath ok? are the uh er boys ok? If you dont use the crotch strap, are you slipping right out the bottom? What happens if you raise your arms? And you gotta raise your arms if you are going to grab the bulwarks, toe rail, whatever to get yourself back aboard.

Now the lecture( no, it hadn't started yet)
The purpose of harnesses, tethers, and jacklines are to keep you from falling off the boat ( period), not to drag you alongside the boat. It also keeps you attached to the boat in an emergency roll/ pitch poll.

I used to deliver boats of all shapes and sizes, it takes thought, planning, and creativity, but a jackline can be run, using a two tether system, to keep the sailor aboard.

Once, I was on deck alone around 3am in the Atlantic when a bad wave hit me just right and sent me flying. I was midship. Normally this would be one of the most vulnerable places for the sailor, as the jack line normally run down the gunnels would be very slack. But since my captain prescribed to the ' you can't fall overboard even if you tried' tether safety system, I was yanked to a stop at the lifelines. Scared the poo outta me cause I fell from the cabin top.
I'd be dead had I not had a harness on. I can't imagine not being injured had my tether/ jack line allowed me to fall overboard because the vessel had lots of freeboard. I don't think anyone would of heard me, I had a few hours to go before I needed to wake up the next watch. Gives me the Hebejebes thinking about what that experience would of been like, if I survived at all.

So that is why I'm a rabid 'you can't fall overboard even if you tried' tether system gal.

So please test your harnesses oh and I'm warming up to rope. Due to the way we run our jack lines aboard Rain Dog there is no way to step on it, much easier to clip in and out of line, webbing is a pain in the arse!

Cheers,
Erika
Old 19-04-2012, 14:03   #122
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Jacklines? A waste of time, wind resistance, abrasion, energy, and money.

Really?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 15:40   #123
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I prefer rope for jack lines and webbing for tethers...mainly becuse you can thread a pice of bungee inside the tether so it "scrunches up".
Old 19-04-2012, 17:00   #124

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Back to the original thread.

I was single-handing yesteraday in some bumpy conditions (SCA), using new tethers. I've been using tethers for 20 years and though I have many thoughs, two seem on-topic:

1. Easy to use clips are a boon. I love the new Kong Tango clips, and I've used many. So fast. I'll keep them lubed.

2. I greatly prefer rope jacklines (1/2-inch) to webbing (I've used both on this boat). Rope is way easier to clip than wet webbing and also makes a better hand hold.

Do they look like runing rigging? Go for bright yellow. Do they get under foot? Not where mine are set.

To me, speed with acuracy is very important.

The Kong Tango will not release under load. You have to be able to rotate it which may not always be possible. A Tylaska 5 would be better.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 17:12   #125
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The Kong Tango will not release under load. You have to be able to rotate it which may not always be possible. A Tylaska 5 would be better.
I didn't say I would recommend them to everyone for both ends. I was talking about ease of clipping to the jackline, which is the focus of the thread. Tylaska and spin shackles are both quite inferior for the jackline end (too difficult to manage single handed in the dark).
Old 19-04-2012, 17:31   #126
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Are those aluminum or stainless...the Kong Tango
the aluminumare not designed for the marine enviroment.
Old 19-04-2012, 19:29   #127

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Aluminum not as bad as ya think if ya care for it. We are trying out some good quality carabeeners to see how they hold up. Nice thing is they are quiet, light, and fraction of the price, learned this from thinwater :-) thanks.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:53   #128
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Are those aluminum or stainless...the Kong Tango
the aluminumare not designed for the marine enviroment.
Urban legend.

I've been using aluminum wire gate biners for 15 years; they are a part of my docking set up and are exposed 24/7/365.

As for conventional locking biners, I've been using those for 15 years too. However, I do grease the gates and threads annually and inspect frequently. I lube the Tangos once a year. However, I briefly inspect all climbing and safety gear with every use; isn't that normal?

Perhaps if the biners are kept in a bucket of seawater for a season, never maintained and never inspected, there would be a problem. Barnacles would grow (I saw that in one test--a comically unrealistic situation). But I wouldn't use safety gear that was stored with such disregard, so it doesn't matter to me. To me, they are a MUCH more functional product that requires only reasonable care.

Tags
Jacklines