Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 17:43   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
What Do You Do With Old Ropes?

I'm now replacing the last of my running rigging, plus my old trusty main dock lines.

I already have a million meters of old halyards in my lazarette. What to do with all this old stuff? It seems a crime to throw it away. Yet it seems unlikely that any possible use will ever appear for it all.

What a dilemma.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 17:48   #2

Re: What Do You Do With Old Ropes?

I give them to the shoestring sailors who can give them a new life doing what they were meant to do.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 17:57   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm now replacing the last of my running rigging, plus my old trusty main dock lines.

I already have a million meters of old halyards in my lazarette. What to do with all this old stuff? It seems a crime to throw it away. Yet it seems unlikely that any possible use will ever appear for it all.

What a dilemma.
Rope ladders and mats can be fun, that latter often as gifts.

They also make nice sail ties, using ONLY the cover. This is an early version; now I use bury splices and ashley stoppers, even nicer. I use these sort of like soft shackles for many things.

Old 30-04-2015, 18:08   #4

When I bought my boat I replaced all the running rigging. Then I stored the old stuff, plus about another couple hundred lbs of free running rigging from nearby boats. Then over the next year I gathered up a bunch of old sails and a slug of old butcher knives and other super cheap trade-ables. when I got to Mexico I traded razor sharp knives for fish from the fishermen. when I got to Belize I gave away old sails to the poor fishermen down there. and they all like old running rigging. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 19:08   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If you remember that lines are for boats and ropes are for sex, I'm sure your dilemma will be solved! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 19:25   #6

Same what you do with old bent quarters and dimes.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 19:41   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I give them to the shoestring sailors who can give them a new life doing what they were meant to do.
Absolutely! I'm with you on that.
Old 01-05-2015, 00:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
If you remember that lines are for boats and ropes are for sex, I'm sure your dilemma will be solved! Capt Phil
I remember that many American sailors were taught this error in terminology (“no ropes on a boat”), which has been discussed on here a few times. There are plenty of references to it in "boater's safety guides" and those kind of materials, but it's still wrong.

“Line” is not a salty synonym for “rope”; just like“head” is not just a nautical word for the same thing as what you would call a “toilet” at home (the compartment is called “the heads”; the porcelain fixture is just a marine toilet).

A “line” (never just “line”) is a rope or other piece of cordage at work or with some defined function, other than being a sheet, halyard, outhaul, etc. Like a dock line, for example.

A rope is a piece of cordage which is at rest and without a defined function at the moment. So my yankee sheets were sheets, even coiled in the laz, until they were replaced with new ones and they lost their defined function. Now they’re no longer sheets; just ropes. Waiting to have some function assigned to them.

Of course rope is not the only type of cordage you find at sea. After a certain size, it's cable, and below a certain size, "small stuff".

This error about substituting the word "line" for "rope" came about from landlubbers going to sea and being surprised that you can't call a piece of rope at work just a "rope" -- you are supposed to refer to it more specifically, if it's at work (imagine going on a square-rigger, and saying "haul on that rope there"). So the landlubbers got the erroneous impression that you're not supposed to use the word "rope" at all. Then generations of even very good and knowledgeable sailors, like you, got taught this mistake.

As far as sex is concerned, you can use whatever you like. I find that halyards and outhauls are particularly interesting.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20   #9

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I remember that many American sailors were taught this error in terminology (“no ropes on a boat”), which has been discussed on here a few times. There are plenty of references to it in "boater's safety guides" and those kind of materials, but it's still wrong.

“Line” is not a salty synonym for “rope”; just like“head” is not just a nautical word for the same thing as what you would call a “toilet” at home (the compartment is called “the heads”; the porcelain fixture is just a marine toilet).

A “line” (never just “line”) is a rope or other piece of cordage at work or with some defined function, other than being a sheet, halyard, outhaul, etc. Like a dock line, for example.

A rope is a piece of cordage which is at rest and without a defined function at the moment. So my yankee sheets were sheets, even coiled in the laz, until they were replaced with new ones and they lost their defined function. Now they’re no longer sheets; just ropes. Waiting to have some function assigned to them.

Of course rope is not the only type of cordage you find at sea. After a certain size, it's cable, and below a certain size, "small stuff".

This error about substituting the word "line" for "rope" came about from landlubbers going to sea and being surprised that you can't call a piece of rope at work just a "rope" -- you are supposed to refer to it more specifically, if it's at work (imagine going on a square-rigger, and saying "haul on that rope there"). So the landlubbers got the erroneous impression that you're not supposed to use the word "rope" at all. Then generations of even very good and knowledgeable sailors, like you, got taught this mistake.

As far as sex is concerned, you can use whatever you like. I find that halyards and outhauls are particularly interesting.
Interesting! (and not just the last part about alternative uses for halyards & outhauls). Thanks Dockhead!

Since we're already "drifting" a bit, what made you decide it was to time to replace your running rigging? Stiff? Chalky? Passage of time? Preventative maintenance? I only ask since I've been pleasantly surprised (but also a bit concerned) how many years mine seems to last. I've been replacing piecemeal, but some of it has been in place many, many years and seems to be holding up fine. Might be prudent to replace regardless, but hard to tell.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Interesting! (and not just the last part about alternative uses for halyards & outhauls). Thanks Dockhead!

Since we're already "drifting" a bit, what made you decide it was to time to replace your running rigging? Stiff? Chalky? Passage of time? Preventative maintenance? I only ask since I've been pleasantly surprised (but also a bit concerned) how many years mine seems to last. I've been replacing piecemeal, but some of it has been in place many, many years and seems to be holding up fine. Might be prudent to replace regardless, but hard to tell.
Well, if it works and hands well, why replace it? Polyester double braid is an incredible material, seemingly impervious to UV, lasting for years and years.

I'm replacing the mainsheet only because it is flattened in some places and swollen in other places and doesn't run through the clutches properly.

The sheets still have a lovely hand and I hate to replace them, but they are nicked and frayed here and there and -- well, it's just time. They are a good 13 years old and I've done a lot of miles, so I think they deserve their retirement
Old 01-05-2015, 08:21   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Absolutely! I'm with you on that.
Indeed -- a good idea. My halyard-tails are actually in very good shape and will make excellent sheets for someone.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:26   #12

Boat: KP 46

Quote:

A rope is a piece of cordage which is at rest and without a defined function at the moment.
always exceptions to the rule... bolt rope, man rope, foot rope, bell rope.
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:30   #13

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Local "ranchers" in Vanuatu loved cruisers' old halyards. They used them as cow ropes. They tie their individual cows to a tree in the bush and let them graze in a circle and then move them to other spots. Needless to say the ropes wear out fairly quickly. We untangled more than one cow mooing forlornly short-roped up against a tree with the rope wound around their legs and the tree. (Would you call it a cow line since it is in use at that point?)

We never asked for anything in return but always got plenty of fruit and veggies anyway.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:39   #14

Having taught the basic public boating safety classes the US Power Squadrons put on, I know there is a need. I suggest contacting a local squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary and donate them for class room marlinespike instruction.
Kerryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:41   #15

donate the rope to the sea scouts, they will use them for practice ect and you'll get a little write off on your taxes
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope