Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2011, 16:38   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Anchor and Mooring Ropes: What Are You Using ?

Looking at buying a full coil to do both jobs
Primary anchor gear is all chain but stern anchor will be rope and want something easy on the hands.

Looking at ebay there are some good buys on Name Branded double braid style rope (16mm+)
But there is also 3 strand nylon, which I have used previously for its stretch characteristics (shock absorber)
and there are also polypropylene ropes

Suggestions?
Old 22-11-2011, 17:16   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Yep, (single) braided nylon or polyester, like 8-plait.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 17:32   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Anchor and Mooring Ropes: What Are You Using ?

I like good ol' three-strand nylon, but top quality like New England ropes. Easy to splice, has a good grip on the hands, is cheaper than braid, has more stretch than braid, isn't hard to handle if you get good quality line. I have asked them and they claim three-strand is the most abrasion resistant, has the most stretch, and will generally last the longest. Don't know if that is strictly true, but I have some that is way more than 10 years old and still seems to work great. I've never managed to break a nylon rode, even in several hurricanes and at least one tornado, but I have almost sawed through it at the dock due to chafe. Chafing gear is the key to longevity on rodes and dock lines.
Old 22-11-2011, 18:42   #4

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Some of my 3 strand nylon (5/8") is well over 25 years old. That line is going to outlive me. Anchor rode is 5/16HT chain.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:06   #5

Looking at the defender marine catalogues, size for size 3 strand vs 8plait has the 8 plait cheaper
3/4 3 strand $1.62
3/4 8 plait $1.49
On those prices I would go the 8 plait every day of the week.

Unfortunately in Australia its more like a 100% difference in price, 8 plait being the most expensive, which is why I asked about the double braid.

I can get Italian made DB for quite a bit less than 3 strand nylon

I also feel that 3 strand nylon is probably not ideal as mooring rope, dont ask me why as I have never used it as such before.
Old 22-11-2011, 19:10   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Docklines are 5/8" three-strand nylon (I make these from a big spool I bought), or 5/8" doublebraid nylon (purchased pre-made from West Marine).

Stern anchor uses 25ft of chain, then 250' of 5/8" nylon Octoplait. Main bow anchor is 300' all chain, 5/16" HT. Secondary bow anchor rode is 25' of chain, then 300 ft 5/8" nylon Octoplait (lengths from memory, I could be off)

I switched to the Octoplait because it is less likely to tangle, and takes up less volume in the locker. It also won't hockle like the three-strand can. I don't use the anchors enough to say if the Octoplait wears better or worse than the three-strand.

I have a couple of mesh bags (bought at West Marine), each stuffed with about 200' of 5/8" polypropylene three-strand. These, plus my assortment of retired halyards and sheets, are to be used for shore-ties, etc.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:29   #7

Boat: Transpac 49

I saw somewhere on another thread, that Evans (estarzinger) and others use 11mm Dynamic climbing rope for snubbers etc. The 'out of date' stuff it seems can often be had for free or only cents in the dollar.

One downside is that it doesn't float, and is quite strechy. Not sure how it would go with a boat size like yours, but you could always double up?
Old 22-11-2011, 19:47   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Looking at buying a full coil to do both jobs
Primary anchor gear is all chain but stern anchor will be rope and want something easy on the hands.

Looking at ebay there are some good buys on Name Branded double braid style rope (16mm+)
But there is also 3 strand nylon, which I have used previously for its stretch characteristics (shock absorber)
and there are also polypropylene ropes

Suggestions?

I like 8-plait. It's easy on your hands, and stretchy. It falls beautifully and takes up a minimum of space. It's very pliable and resistant to kinking up. I just went to a seminar on anchoring, and the guy who spoke, a well-respected retired naval architect and surveyor as long as having 60 plus years of sailing, said that the only place you need all chain is if anchoring in coral, because the coral will cut rode. But of course you aren't supposed to anchor in coral, so ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:50   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Docklines are 5/8" three-strand nylon (I make these from a big spool I bought), or 5/8" doublebraid nylon (purchased pre-made from West Marine).

Stern anchor uses 25ft of chain, then 250' of 5/8" nylon Octoplait. Main bow anchor is 300' all chain, 5/16" HT. Secondary bow anchor rode is 25' of chain, then 300 ft 5/8" nylon Octoplait (lengths from memory, I could be off)

I switched to the Octoplait because it is less likely to tangle, and takes up less volume in the locker. It also won't hockle like the three-strand can. I don't use the anchors enough to say if the Octoplait wears better or worse than the three-strand.

I have a couple of mesh bags (bought at West Marine), each stuffed with about 200' of 5/8" polypropylene three-strand. These, plus my assortment of retired halyards and sheets, are to be used for shore-ties, etc.
According to the expert I JUST heard speak on Sunday, three-strand lasts about 10% longer than 8-plait. For me, it's worth it to have the 8-plait. I often sail by myself and I don't need to have a tangled anchor rode in an emergency, or a rode that fights me in any way.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 22:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
the guy who spoke, a well-respected retired naval architect and surveyor as long as having 60 plus years of sailing, said that the only place you need all chain is if anchoring in coral, because the coral will cut rode. But of course you aren't supposed to anchor in coral, so ...
How about an anchor windlass that is chain only?
Old 22-11-2011, 22:20   #11

Does anyone have a reason why I cant use double braid?
Like I said, I can get that cheaper than 3 strand nylon and a lot cheaper than 8 plait.
Old 22-11-2011, 22:27   #12

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I use 3-strand for mooring bridle and have started to use it fr dock lines also. I have some double braid dock lines too -- they look pretty and handle nicer, but 3-strand is firmer and less likely to snag splinters.

For anchor I have switched to 8-plait with mixed rode. It handles better in the windlass and locker. The 3-strand anchor line I retired is being recycled into the mooring and dock lines. I simply cut and splice as needed.

Also, nylon is best IMHO. Polyester is good for rode but not stretchy enough for dock lines. Those people who use polypropylene for dock, mooring or anchor lines are making a big mistake -- very low strength and poor UV resistance compared with nylon or polyester. It floats so it's good for tow lines and ski lines, bit that's about it.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 22:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
I saw somewhere on another thread, that Evans (estarzinger) and others use 11mm Dynamic climbing rope for snubbers
Thanks for that
They reckon 10.5mm has 3000kg break, so I would think strong enough
Nice and stretchy
15m lengths are a bummer (indoor climbing)
Might have to try and find someone who does something a bit taller.
Old 23-11-2011, 03:39   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Cat man,

Again, go 8 plait for the anchor rodes... You'll be cursing the rodes for 10+ years if you don't ! Besides the arguments already named, it also splices to chain like nothing else !

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 04:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Cat man,

Again, go 8 plait for the anchor rodes.
Nick, or anyone, opinion on this please

It doesn't say 8 plait but does call it anchor/mooring line, I assumed double braid, but take into account its 22mm size and it may be 8 plait.

Just looked at a description of double braid and it says
Quote:
A 16 plait jacket over 8 plait core provides high strength and tenacity with excellent resistance to abrasion and hydrolysis.
If the outer is stripped off does that then make 8 plait mooring rope?
Like I said earlier, this 22mm is very cheap for Australia and with the outer off, would be 18 or so, which would be the right size

Tags
anchor, mooring