Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 23:26   #46

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Traveller Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Reopening this thread, I recently bought a 1970 Allied 30.5 Seawind Sloop, I want to reposition the traveller from behind the helmsman to above the companion way hatch, this shot is of a Cape Dory 30 that had been coverted from a cutter to a sloop, according to the listing, all the Cape Dory 30's I've seen have the traveller in this position. Can anyone see why I should not do this, I want the original traveller rig behind me out of my way at the stern. These two boats are similar in size.
Another issue is that you'll want to increase the purchase on the mainsheet. If you move it from the end of the boom to the midpoint you'll have to apply twice the force to get the sail to the same place and shape as before.

Our club has 2 Catalina 27s, one newer than the other. The newer one the factory has moved to mid boom sheeting. Everyone complains how hard it is to trim the main on the newer boat.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 23:42   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Something to consider: if you are willing to replace the boom section anyway, why not give the old one a chance to prove itself? If it fails, then you can buy the new, stronger one. If it does not fail (within a reasonable time and exercise routine) then you are home free. Yeah, breaking a boom isn't much fun, but it isn't like being dismasted or such... you can still sail on the headsail or motor or whatever.

How do I know? Well, I've broken two booms over the years and been dismasted once. I know which one I prefer!!

I bet that the original boom will suffice without mods. One thing to do to help is to use webbing strops to attach the sheet blocks instead of bails (bales?). This spreads the load out a bit and that helps with keeping the boom in one piece.

Good luck,mate!

Jim
Old 29-01-2014, 01:21   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rebel Heart,

Today, on a short, 20 mile sail, we adjusted the traveler perhaps 20 times, not racing, sailing with a conservative sail plan for the situation: 1 reef in main, and staysail.
Horses for courses and all that, but when the breeze is strong already, and gusty, to boot, for us easing down the traveler takes helm off way faster than "un-sheeting" the main.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:37   #49

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Another issue is that you'll want to increase the purchase on the mainsheet. If you move it from the end of the boom to the midpoint you'll have to apply twice the force to get the sail to the same place and shape as before.

Our club has 2 Catalina 27s, one newer than the other. The newer one the factory has moved to mid boom sheeting. Everyone complains how hard it is to trim the main on the newer boat.
Interesting, during my boat search, that lasted more than 2 1/2 years, I looked at some Cape Dory's, it seems they're all fitted with this mid-boom track arrangement over the companion way hatch, never sailed one but everyone that I talked to raved about them and the way they sailed. My boat, Allied 30.5 Seawind Sloop is comparable in some areas, length, LOA on the CD 30 is 30.21 with LWL at 22.83, A-SW LOA is 30.50 with LWL 24 ft, the CD30 is 2000# lighter at 10000#, my A-Seawind comes in at 12000#'s, CD30 ballast is 4000#to the A-Seawind 4200#'s, CD30 beam 9ft, A-SW 9.25, Draft SD30 4.18, A-SW 4.20, Sail Area Main on the SD30 204.75, Main SA on the A-SW is 226.79, the point to all this is that these two boats are close, the keel design is slightly different, but for me, looking at these numbers, I believe moving this traveller is going be just fine, especially if I go with a slightly heavier boom, Maybe I won't have to, going to talk to the people at RIG-Rite and see what they have to say. They also sell the tracking and parts for these travellers.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 02:45   #50

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I have a Jeanneau Sun Fast, with end boom sheeting and will move thesheeting tomid-boom before our RTW. A naval architech has calcualted on it and decidedwe need a new boom.

Jeanneau has also noted that despite thull and body of the boat being identical to the same size Sun Odsessy, we should be careful re, moving to mid boom. We also have to go the SO sailplan sice otherwise we may have very high forces onthe coach roof, lifting the roof and causing leaks fromthe windows.

Lots of things to consider and best to seek expert advice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 05:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I have a Jeanneau Sun Fast, with end boom sheeting and will move thesheeting tomid-boom before our RTW. A naval architech has calcualted on it and decidedwe need a new boom.

Jeanneau has also noted that despite thull and body of the boat being identical to the same size Sun Odsessy, we should be careful re, moving to mid boom. We also have to go the SO sailplan sice otherwise we may have very high forces onthe coach roof, lifting the roof and causing leaks fromthe windows.

Lots of things to consider and best to seek expert advice.
I agree, That's what I'm going to do, just saying, my boat is a little heavier with more sail area, not much but a little, I'm interested in seeing what the differences are with the boom specs on both boats, here's the boom specs for the CD 30 Spartan Spars CD-3 Boom
Measurements: (OD) 4.5" x 2.75"
Wall Thickness: .100"
Weight/ft.: 1.49 lbs.
Moments of inertia: Ixx = 2.40", Iyy = 1.10"
Circumference: 11 1/2"
Alloy: 6061-T6
Standard Lengths: 10'8", 11', 12'9", 13'6", 13'9", 16'6"
Sail slides: 1/2" round slugs (A018, A118) or 1/2" boltrope
Common Boom usage: Cape Dory 27*, Cape Dory 28, Cape Dory 30*, Intrepid 9M;
Old 29-01-2014, 05:38   #52

This boom is used for these boats, includes the Bristol 32, specs the same except for the wall thickness .005 to .010 more on this one Rig-Rite #6 Boom Section
Measurements: (OD) 4.50" x 2.75" (114mm x 70mm) 4528
Wall Thickness: .105" - .110"r
Weight/ft.: 1.5 lbs.
Moments of inertia: Ixx = 2.7", Iyy = 1.2"
Circumference: 11 1/2"
Alloy: 6063-T6
Sail slides: 1/2" round slugs (A018, A118) or 1/2" boltrope
Standard Boom Lengths: 10'8", 11', 12'9", 13'9", 16'6"
Common Boom usage: Bristol 29.9, 30, 32; Mystic 30; O'Day 30*; Pearson 30*; Sabre 28, 30; Tartan 30;
Old 29-01-2014, 05:58   #53

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Interesting, during my boat search, that lasted more than 2 1/2 years, I looked at some Cape Dory's, it seems they're all fitted with this mid-boom track arrangement over the companion way hatch, never sailed one but everyone that I talked to raved about them and the way they sailed. My boat, Allied 30.5 Seawind Sloop is comparable in some areas, length, LOA on the CD 30 is 30.21 with LWL at 22.83, A-SW LOA is 30.50 with LWL 24 ft, the CD30 is 2000# lighter at 10000#, my A-Seawind comes in at 12000#'s, CD30 ballast is 4000#to the A-Seawind 4200#'s, CD30 beam 9ft, A-SW 9.25, Draft SD30 4.18, A-SW 4.20, Sail Area Main on the SD30 204.75, Main SA on the A-SW is 226.79, the point to all this is that these two boats are close, the keel design is slightly different, but for me, looking at these numbers, I believe moving this traveller is going be just fine, especially if I go with a slightly heavier boom, Maybe I won't have to, going to talk to the people at RIG-Rite and see what they have to say. They also sell the tracking and parts for these travellers.
What is the amount of purchase on the mainsheet on the two different boats?

I was talking about how hard it is to pull in the mainsheet or the traveller. If you never sail upwind and you don't pull the boom down to close the leech of the main then you probably don't care.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 01:13   #54
AGC

Boat: Wright 10

Here's our setup. Traveler breakers and slides away (also recessed) and tiller folders into the cockpit floor. Sorry about the mess, in the middle of a clean up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140131_092200.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	75002   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	75003  

AGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 13:06   #55

Boat: san jaun 30

I've got a boat with, perhaps, the worst traveller arrangement. The PO removed it entirely, shackling mainsheet to a ring in the center of the aft end of the cockpit (right under the tiller). Origionally it had an aluminum beam across the middle of the cockpit. I made a new beam mounted on brackets with fastpins to secure it. I had all the old traveller hardware ( I'm extremely cheap), so it cost 30$ or so in aluminum and bolts. It might seem an odd fix, but it's been great! I think it's quite a usefull sail trim tool and any time one isn't sailing, off it comes- cockpit is completely clear! My boat ( San Juan 30), has an odd cockpit. no side benches or coamings- big wide side decks- wide square well. Sort off a raceboat idea, certainly not comfort. That being said, it works pretty well- lots of room. with the traveller off, you can have 2 folding deck chairs in it- very comfy! This way it's still end boom sheeted- main sheet is always right at hand. It still divides the cockpit while sailing, but a great simple solution, I'm so glad I bothered to do it.
pappa gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 13:30   #56

I used to race on a SJ30 quite a bit. Good idea you had.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:51   #57

Boat: Windward 30 sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaila View Post
To put a visual to my prior post....

Attachment 36697
My traveler is in what seems like a terrible position, it sits on about 60 degrees angle aft of the boom and appears to have no real strength at all... too make things worse all the fitting are undersized... I like the idea of the traveler sitting at the companionway regardless of the fact it will interfere with my favourite sitting stop! I had a rigging work on my boat the other day and we spoke about the traveler location, here is the link, not sure if this helps??

you can skip to 2mins for the traveler conversation.

Benny241525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54   #58

Boat: Windward 30 sloop

I'm thinking of moving my traveler to sit in front of the companionway, although it seems like it would be in the way, as I like to sit with my back up against the cabin.
But where the traveler is at the moment is crazy! it's positioned about 2ft aft of the end of the boom, and the main sheet from the traveler to the boom is at about a 60 degrees angle, not to mention all the fastening are undersized, so I need to do something! moving it forward would also make life at the helm a little more comfortable...I spoke to a professional rigger about it the other day .

Here's some video, you can skip to 2mins for the traveler conversation

Benny241525 is offline   Reply With Quote