Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 10:26   #1

Boat: Spirit 28
Spindle on Lewmar 30ST jammed

Hi,

I have a Lewmar 30ST as a main sheet winch, and the other day out sailing we found it was jammed, but only when trying to wind it with a winch handle, the winch drum itself was fine (i.e. the sheet could be pulled in when wrapped around the drum).

After taking the feeder arm off (according to steps in the Lewmar service manual ) I found the inside rather correded and salty maybe (that green/white corrosion on brass) so much that the retaining collets would not budge until being tapped a with a hammer. However, I was totally unable to lift out the main spindle, it seems to be completely jammed in there (i guess corrosion or a build up this manganese ore dust our harbour is full of).

I opened its partner to see how it compared, and it was fine, collets come out easily and the main spindle just lifts out, no problem.

The question now is how should I remove this without damaging the winch? I was nervous to putting a winch handle in and banging it with a mallet as I did not want to damage the mechanisms? I was wondering if I should remove the gears (step 6 in manual) so just the spindle is left, then bang at it with no fear of damage, but I am not sure if I can remove the main gears with the spindle still in, given the manual lays out a very specific order?

Anybody ever had a situation like this?

Many thanks in advance
Mark

(p.s. also, any suggestions on the best way to clean the salt/corrosion from the brass collet fittings and the spots of salt/corrosion on the drums and spindle threads ?)

"What a ship is, is a hull and a deck and sails; what a ship means, is freedom" - Capt Jack Sparrow
nonamebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:12   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Spindle on Lewmar 30ST jammed

nonamebrand,
I suppose I have the same winches as yours (mine are 1995). I would suggest using a few drops of diesel fuel to dissolve old grease before removing the collets.

IIRC, you can pull the drum while leaving the main spindle in place. Then, you can lift the gear spindles and pull the gears sideways.

Then, it should be possible to lift the main spindle. If it's still frozen, I would first try warm, then hot water with detergent, to remove the salt and the old grease.

I hope this helps.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:22   #3

Boat: Spirit 28

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, I did get the actual collets off with a little tapping, but I think I will try see if I can get some diesel down the spindle shaft to dissolve the grease as you suggest. If that still doesn't work I will then attempt removing the gears themselves and see if the spindle can be worked out then.

Now just to wait for this rain to let up ....

Thanks
Mark

"What a ship is, is a hull and a deck and sails; what a ship means, is freedom" - Capt Jack Sparrow
nonamebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 15:41   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

If you can pull the drum you can acces the mounting bolts. Remove the bolts, place the entire winch in a bucket of "white spirits" as the manufacturer suggests. Let it soak till you can properly disassemble it.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 21:36   #5

In the top there are two little pieces that insert into a groove to keep the pindle from coming out. Provided you have removed these and the gears the spindle should come right out. If not you can use a breaker bar, stick it through the base and pull it up. It will push the spindle out as it is just stuck in there. Make sure to put a piece of wood between the bar and the gear.
cat rig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar