Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 22:01   #16

Boat: Roberts, Offshore 44
Chafe on dock lines is often caused by the cleat being too far away from the cleat. The greater this distance the worse it can be. This despite how smooth the clocks are. As the line stretches it moves back and forth through chock. Ideally you move the cleats as close to the clocks as possible, or redesign the lay out so that the chicks can be eliminated. Any of these changes may not be practicle. In that case your next best choice would be to protect the dock lines by using chaff gear on them. When the gear chairs through, replace it before the dock lines Are damaged. If the dock lines are breaking from the surge either go to the next size larger or lighten then up so the boat does not move around as much.
Valkyrie654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 23:03   #17

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Snubber Wanted

---Springs rust, they always rust
---Rubber breaks, quickly in tropical sun
---Elastic lines are silly

Getting bow and stern lines tight is important and the right tension on spring-rigged lines reduces absorbs some of the surge. Inertia of all of the boat weight comes to a halt when the lines stop it...the more the boat travels, the greater the inertia.

I plan to buy some that are made in Italy that are different than all of the above. I will post a photo and other info later today or tomorrow. There is a Beneteau 54 here that has these and I am impressed how these "shock absorbers" tame the surge of the boat. I am also impressed that there is no spring to rust and no black rubber to deteriorate.

Hope this will help, although it is mostly advice, followed by a recommendation on a product that I have not tried.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 23:13   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie654 View Post
This despite how smooth the clocks are.
Ideally you move the cleats as close to the clocks as possible, or redesign the lay out so that the chicks can be eliminated. When the gear chairs through, replace it before the dock lines Are damaged.
Old 22-03-2012, 23:16   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im with Cat man do on this one ?????
Old 23-03-2012, 02:45   #20

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

As promised, here is the information:

Mooring springs & systems | E.V.A. Bumper

The ones I saw on the Beneteau 54 are the Charlie Bravo 2 size.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mooring Shocks.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	39000  
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 18:42   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie654
Chafe on dock lines is often caused by the cleat being too far away from the cleat. The greater this distance the worse it can be. This despite how smooth the clocks are. As the line stretches it moves back and forth through chock. Ideally you move the cleats as close to the clocks as possible, or redesign the lay out so that the chicks can be eliminated. Any of these changes may not be practicle. In that case your next best choice would be to protect the dock lines by using chaff gear on them. When the gear chairs through, replace it before the dock lines Are damaged. If the dock lines are breaking from the surge either go to the next size larger or lighten then up so the boat does not move around as much.
All good advice except the part about eliminating chicks on my boat,

So if if I move my cleat away from my cleat and have rough clocks and long lines I will attract chicks?

Worth a try...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted