Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2023, 07:40   #16

Boat: Aloa 27
Re: Screw in mast removal

Same for me as CelestialSailor and other person.
Heat, with an airgun (softer than brazing torch), but if you know how to use softly a small brazing torch, no problem.Heat expands aluminum faster than stainless steel. What blocks a screw is corrosion, aluminum sulfate powder. If you have a can of coolant like we use for thermal failure detection, it's even faster.
Using a degreaser is not necessarily effective to unblock the screw but it helps to unscrew it afterwards.
Philippe, 52 years of mechanical and electrical maintenance in difficult and aggressive environments, among others...
Phil_Fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 08:24   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft voyager 40, Toda

All of the above...Heat, PB, impact... or drilling... PLUS do not forget the Tefgel when you put it back together.... In fact on every single threaded fastener going onto metal EVERY time.. I routinely disassemble every new piece of gear that arrives aboard Toda and the re-assemble with Tef-gel before placing it into service. Every, Single, Thing! NOTHING I have ever Tef-gelled has ever required heat to take apart.
toda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 08:26   #18

Boat: Aloa 27

+1 !! TefGel or PTFE ribbon
Phil_Fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 08:40   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

The electric heat gun is your friend.
I used it again yesterday to loosen a stuck thread on my hole saw...
Not affected by wind. Put a heat shield to protect the sail.

I prefer Kroil Oil. Works as well as PB Blaster without the horrible stench.

I think that CRC Freeze-Off uses the same oil as it smells like Kroil (nice smell).
https://www.crcindustries.com/produc...1-5-wt-oz.html

Try using an impact screwdriver. The are cheap.. Turns the hammer blow into rotation.

Spray, wipe, heat, Strike...repeat.

https://www.autozone.com/ratchets-so...ece/529289_0_0

Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 08:49   #20
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jerry View Post
Oh, to be clear, I meant the hand or manual impact driver that you hit with a hammer like this one.

And buy extra bits. They break.

yes highly recommended. it works.
Old 15-05-2023, 15:18   #21

Haven't read all of the responses but it wouldn't hurt to put some Valve Grinding Compound on the bit and screw head before using the impact driver. The valve grinding compound helps the bit grip better and also fills any voids that may increase the chances of the bit messing up the screw head. Kroil works great with a little heat.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 15:34   #22

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

All very engaging and entertaining….even helpful. Just for added info, the screw head is a flush slotted. There’s not a Frearson/Phillips on this boat that’s original. Don’t guess Henry Hinckley believed in ’em. Or they hadn't yet proved themselves.(ha!)
Old 15-05-2023, 16:29   #23

Boat: Tartan 3800

I would grind the screw flush to the mast with a battery die grinder, shorten the track by 1/4" or so, and drill a new hole.
Old 15-05-2023, 18:02   #24

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I would grind the screw flush to the mast with a battery die grinder, shorten the track by 1/4" or so, and drill a new hole.
That’s probably the best idea.
Old 19-05-2023, 21:08   #25

I hitch hiked in Martinique from Le Morin (that doesn’t look like I spelled it correctly) to Forte France. (That doesn’t look right either). Keep typing. I had the lower unit of my Evinrude 8 dinghy engine sticking out of my day and a half pack. I was going to a mechanic to break some stuff loose, but he just used a bigger hammer than me. I apologize but I know one word of French, Merci. ��.

Some sailors pick me out hitching back to Le Morin and they took me to a big bus stop. I got help picking the right bus but when aboard, I could only stand in the aisle since it was so full. But then I smelled something familiar and was thinking a second and then realized a whole can of PB blaster leaking into my backpack. Fortunately, windows were open but it was very embarrassing. No significant exposure, I suppose. There’s more to the story but it all turned out fine. Cruising is fun. Lotsa stories.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, mast, removal