Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 23:17   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Rain down the mast

I have a keel stepped mast. I just noticed the other day during a rain storm that water streams down the mast and looks like it goes right into my bilge.

Yes, the mast has a rubber boot at the cabin top but it looks like it's not stopping a single drop of water from going down into the boat.

So, my big question is: Is there a product or solution for keeping most of the water from getting into the boat past this boot?

Some water will still get in by going down the inside of the mast, but I'm hoping to stop the majority running down the outside of the mast.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 00:59   #2

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: Rain down the mast

Same problem we had. Short/medium term fix: 3M 4000 UV

Medium strength bonding allows for disassembly
Excellent UV resistance
Above and below the water line applications

Be overly generous when applying. Use a putty knife to force some down both sides of the cushioning between mast and cabin top. Use masking or painter's tape to temporarily "fence off" the area for a neater job.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3242579&rt=rud

Long term: Pull the mast and install a new boot. Now that, friend, is going to be a PITA even if you can find or fabricate a proper replacement.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:00   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Bigjim,

Our masts have high holes in them, where the sheaves for the jibs are, and all halyard openings, and, inevitably, the water flows down.

On our boat, we capture that water, and lead it into the shower sump, just inches forward of the mast, and pump it out when we think of it.

When it drains into the main bilge, just pump it out after rains. Normally, we do not leave the pump in "auto", because we want to know if we have another leak into the bilge. Therefore, we pump when we think it is needed. This boat has a dry bilge, but the previous one was wet. We still did not keep it on "auto", because we wanted to learn why it got more water in it, rather than water accumulating from an unknown source.

Ann
Old 04-12-2018, 03:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Well I have a deck stepped mast, and it would let in water under certain conditions. I eventually found the water was entering from INSIDE the steaming light cable jacket.

Had a similar problem in a different boat. Snow melt would, some years depending on orientation of boat on stands, get into the bilges. One year I had over 100 gallons. It took me years to realize it was coming in through the engine control panel cable. It would wick into the cable jacket and drip right next to the engine. Conditions had to be just right, but when it worked it really worked.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:38   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If water is getting into the between the mast and the boot, the boot isn't secured to the mast. Its pretty simple. The boot usually has a big hose clamp securing it to the mast. Tighten it and if needed wrap a couple layers of self amalgamating tape over the hose clamp mast interface. Do the same at the bottom of the boot and your done. If you have an internal mast track make sure that its plugged where the boot is or that will let water in too.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:09   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

So far our mast boots are keeping the water out using heavy duty truck inner tire tubes clamped and sealed to the mast to create the mast skirt. Then to dress them up, a sunbrella cover goes over them.

More recently we found this link and would say they did a very good job w/ their mast boots. Let’s keep that Water on the Outside | Make Like An Ape Man

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Bigjim,

Our masts have high holes in them, where the sheaves for the jibs are, and all halyard openings, and, inevitably, the water flows down.

On our boat, we capture that water, and lead it into the shower sump, just inches forward of the mast, and pump it out when we think of it.

When it drains into the main bilge, just pump it out after rains. Normally, we do not leave the pump in "auto", because we want to know if we have another leak into the bilge. Therefore, we pump when we think it is needed. This boat has a dry bilge, but the previous one was wet. We still did not keep it on "auto", because we wanted to learn why it got more water in it, rather than water accumulating from an unknown source.

Ann
I'm not concerned so much by water getting inside the mast. This will be minor amounts. But I was watching a river of water running down outside the mast during this last storm. The big issue is that the boat is on the hard now and winter is setting in. Keeping as much water OUT of the boat is the goal.

There is a drain plug in the bilge that keeps the water from getting too deep. (I'd like to meet the guy who put the plug a couple of inches above the bottom!) The excess drains out the hole. Freezing weather hit very fast this year. I poured a few gallons of antifreeze into the bilge but the rain diluted it too much and it froze anyway. I might put an aquarium heater in the bilge to keep the water from freezing until I can pump it out.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Same problem we had. Short/medium term fix: 3M 4000 UV

Medium strength bonding allows for disassembly
Excellent UV resistance
Above and below the water line applications

Be overly generous when applying. Use a putty knife to force some down both sides of the cushioning between mast and cabin top. Use masking or painter's tape to temporarily "fence off" the area for a neater job.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3242579&rt=rud

Long term: Pull the mast and install a new boot. Now that, friend, is going to be a PITA even if you can find or fabricate a proper replacement.
I don't think this would be possible. The gap between the cabin top and the mast is quite large, unless you are suggesting to use it between the boot and the mast.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:45   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I had the same problem no matter how tight I made the clamp. I replaced my mast wedges with a urethane casting compound from McMaster-Carr. It's a similar product as Spartight, except not as expensive, and slightly less hard on the Shore meter. Poured it slightly-1/4"- above the top of my mast collar, and it sealed the leak. It still needs a Sunbrella type covering to protect it from UV, and make it a little nicer looking. McMaster-Carr part number is 8644K18. Worked for me, good luck
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54   #10

Boat: Moana 33

To replace our mast boot, we used one of those roof/chimney butyl rubber boots that fit around steel chimney pipes. Cut it down one side, large hose-clip secures to mast, seal mast track gap and join the two cut and overlapping edges of the rubber boot with those wonderful modern sealers, then another hose-clip around where it meets the raised deck stump. (Not unlike the truck tyre suggestion above.)
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03   #11

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I don't think this would be possible. The gap between the cabin top and the mast is quite large, unless you are suggesting to use it between the boot and the mast.
Yes, I am suggesting that. But if the gap is that large then consider the suggested use of tyre inner-tubes as filler material with copious amounts of 3M-4000 lathered on everything/everywhere. Affix hose clamps to secure the tubing before the goop cures, then later go back and add a cosmetic layer. {Tip: Use a wet putty knife for a smooth appearance.} The Sunbrella over-skirt sounds to me like a great idea.

Another possibility: Butyl tape. That's stuff was discussed in several threads and some CF members swear by it. Maybe another member could chime in on that?

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:02   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I'm not concerned so much by water getting inside the mast. This will be minor amounts. But I was watching a river of water running down outside the mast during this last storm. The big issue is that the boat is on the hard now and winter is setting in. Keeping as much water OUT of the boat is the goal.

There is a drain plug in the bilge that keeps the water from getting too deep. (I'd like to meet the guy who put the plug a couple of inches above the bottom!) The excess drains out the hole. Freezing weather hit very fast this year. I poured a few gallons of antifreeze into the bilge but the rain diluted it too much and it froze anyway. I might put an aquarium heater in the bilge to keep the water from freezing until I can pump it out.

Check your insurance policy regarding heaters on boat while winter stored. My insurance specifically prohibits heaters Nov-Apr.

Any boat stored dry in freezing conditions should have an open garboard drain fitting to prevent rain/snow water buildup.

Long term fix is for you to re-locate your drain lower -flush with bottom of bilge ditch if possible. Short term relief may be to add some rock salt to bottom of ditch. It won't prevent freezing,but can help prevent a hard freeze. Also,a couple of inches of frozen depth should not be a problem as the top is able to expand.However,you may still have to ream out the drain hole occasionally. Also,lift any bilge pumps,etc above the freeze area. / Len
Old 04-12-2018, 12:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
...Also,lift any bilge pumps,etc above the freeze area. / Len
Yeah. Next time, when it doesn't freeze solid two days after you are pulled out of the water! I think the best idea is to lower the bilge drain.

Last year, the bilge also froze. Unless I can stop the water coming down the mast from getting into the bilge, I may not have another choice.

I tried putting antifreeze in the bilge but with the rain coming in it was quickly diluted and the surplus drained out through the bilge plug! If you have experience with freezing water, it often freezes in motion and the bilge plug could be easily plugged up too.

Here's what happened to my scuppers since I was not able to put the tarps on soon enough:

Old 04-12-2018, 14:36   #14

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

If you have in mast furling you will get water flowing down the mast and into the bilge. This is normal. The problem then can be if the drain holes in the mast to the bilge are clogged, then it can back up and leak through the top of the cabin. That's the issue I'm dealing with in our Catalina 36. We have one of the only 2 years they did keel stepped mast.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 15:03   #15

No in-mast furling.

I literally watched the water running down the mast and right past the boot. It didn't seem to have any impact on the flow of the water.

Perhaps putting some butyl tape under the hose clamp will provide some resistance.

Tags
mast