Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2010, 10:13   #16

Boat: Spray 33
Leesail is ok

I just buy mainsail from Hongkong, no broblem if you know what you want. It was good and wery good price.
Proaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 16:23   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
7 oz for this sail will be OK if you want a mid-range sail, still usable in a blow if deeply furled. For lighter days you will need something, well, lighter.

Same as said above, I had my genoa cut down by 15% and did not notice any drop in performance. We had 8 oz sail and it was just too heavy for those light moments.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 09:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by menado View Post
In my area usually light to moderate wind (5 to 15 kt) but some times we get blasted by over 25 kn wind, I am not sure should I order the sail clothe of 7.3 oz or 8.3 oz, the jib is about 320 sqr ft. My main was made of 8.3 oz and it was very heavy to remove or put it back in into the boom. Any suggestion the weight of the clothe?
Have a look at the application chart from challenge sailcloth here <http://www.challengesailcloth.com/applic.htm> The 3rd column "cruise woven" applies to you.
Zanzibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 10:19   #19

I bought a sail online from the far east once. It was well made, white, and triangular (grin) but didn't have proper shape. Never set right. Obviously built by a non-sailor. I will never do that again. Go to a local sail loft and pay a little more. A reputable sailmaker will hoist the new sail to check it's shape. Plus they'll show you exactly how to trim it.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 10:28   #20

Boat: Cascade
I bought a main from Atlantic sail traders (new) It fit prefect. I did the measuring and sent pictures. They told me I could send it back if it didnt fit. Saved myself $700. Made in the USA so no duty. Sent via USPS so no processing fees. Never had a problem with GST.

I was very happy and satisfied.
Old 15-01-2010, 10:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I bought a sail online from the far east once. It was well made, white, and triangular (grin) but didn't have proper shape. Never set right. Obviously built by a non-sailor. I will never do that again. Go to a local sail loft and pay a little more. A reputable sailmaker will hoist the new sail to check it's shape. Plus they'll show you exactly how to trim it.
what was the company's name?
There are plenty of far east sailmakers who have a good reputation (Lee, Rolly Tasker, Sails East...), some of them have been tested by the german magazine "Yacht" with good results, and many of them do OEM, meaning that your local sailmaker may well have sold you a sail made in China. This is the case for all Hobie Cat sails, for example.
Zanzibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 10:48   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
yes the far east does OEM with US sail makers. I found that some of these US sailmakers offer your money back if you don't like it but have not tried to return one yet.
Old 15-01-2010, 15:43   #23

Boat: Spencer 34,- Menado
With these tons of informations, opinions, and advices, I should be able to make good decision (if I am lucky). Yes it would be nice to have full service sailmaker come down to my boat and do all the measurement and try out when the sail is complete but I am in budget constrain so it comes down to price. I have compared several on-line sail makers prices after adjusting foreign exchange, Lee sail cost slightly more but they have sales agent here in Vancouver and they take care of the shipping and import paper, I pay the fed and provincial sales taxes. I have sent a deposit so I keep my finger cross till the sail arrive. I will make full report in this post after this summer sailing season. Thank you every one for all your information and suggestions.
menado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 16:56   #24

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
I bought 2 sails from Rolly Tasker. Would not hesitate to recommend them or to order more. Used Dirk at National Sail Supply in Florida. Great service and delivered quick and on time. He's very thorough in the measurement of your sails.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 20:52   #25

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Anybody bought sails from down under? it seems to me that you would be getting world class sails made in lofts where everyone sails and you should get a reasonable discount due to the exchange rate.Just a thought.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 20:31   #26

I had my main done by rolly tasker in thailand at about half the price i would pay in australia.i only just got it on time to have it for the trip(melbourne to fremantle) and the roach had to be recut to clear the back stay but the sail was still a lot better and cheaper than i would have got it for in australia...these days,going cheap is a no-brainer: rolly tasker -or anyone-working off line are just trying to by-pass the cripling taxe regime...the quality and the expertise is the same.
iciela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 06:53   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
... Used Dirk at National Sail Supply in Florida. Great service and delivered quick and on time. He's very thorough in the measurement of your sails.
The key to getting good sails, from reputable sailmakers, is GOOD MEASUREMENT, usually performed by a local dealer (or yourself).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 14:23   #28

Boat: Cascade
Friend of mine is buying from Lee
Old 24-01-2010, 18:41   #29

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by menado View Post
Has any one had order sail on-line before? how safe it is? I intend to order a sail (330 sqr ft) on-line from Fareast sail (own by Wolfbay Group), they quote me good price including air freight, and they required 50 % deposit and I intend to pay with Visa. I live in Canada and we have to pay Fed and Provincial Taxes, But I don't know if I have to pay import duty or not. Please give me you opinions and advice, Thank you.
I bought a new mainsail from Fareast Sails and the whole experience was tremendous. They build a beautiful sail for me, exactly as I wanted it, and they use a web form to document every change order. The main, about 190 sqft had a custom roach, custom positioning of the reef points, leathered at all chafe points, thriple stitched and 6.4 oz Contender dacron, all for about $750. They delivered it within 4 weeks.

Good luck