Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2022, 08:45   #1

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd
Metric Hardware

I'm in Canada and I have a Polish-built boat that I sometimes have trouble finding metric hardware for. Does anyone have any suggestions where to look? Any business in the U.S. can usually ship to Canada or, if not, I'm just across the border so I can have it shipped to a receiver in the U.S. and bring it across the border myself.

I'm currently looking for a particular metric, stainless steel clevis pin. I've tried the usual marine supply places, plus McMaster-Carr and every other U.S. and Canadian source I can find, and none have the specific pin I'm looking for. But I expect this will be an ongoing problem so I'm not actually looking for help with this specific part, but rather suggestions for metric hardware, in general. A UK or European source that can ship to Canada or the U.S. would be fine.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 09:51   #2
cruiser

Re: Metric Hardware

I feel your pain……..many times over as I have a boat built in England with a variety of BSPP/BSPT style fittings, Yanmar engines with metric fittings, and many U.S. upgrades/changes/retrofits with a variety of domestic fasteners and NPTS/NPTT fittings as well a smattering of various hydraulic fittings since the steering system was British built and the autopilot pump was installed here in the states. As such I am frequently hunting for different flavors, sizes, shapes, and makes of fittings/fasteners. I have found both Tacoma Screw as well as Fastenal to be fairly good but I have also had to order some parts from Europe, and pay high shipping costs, to get some of the more rare items. I have also found that if you are looking for 316 stainless that the Tacoma Screw located in south Seattle has a larger on hand supply as they frequently supply the maritime industry in the area. Although for you, since you would be, I assume, shipping items, it probably doesn’t make much difference. This is probably more information than you either want or need but perhaps it will help you or others in predicaments like ours. Happy Holidays!!!
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 09:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
This is probably more information than you either want or need...
Not at all! I appreciate the help. I had forgotten about Fastenal and I didn't know about Tacoma Screw. I'll add them both to my bookmarks.
Old 24-12-2022, 10:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
I have a boat built in England with a variety of BSPP/BSPT style fittings, Yanmar engines with metric fittings, and many U.S. upgrades/changes/retrofits with a variety of domestic fasteners and NPTS/NPTT fittings as well a smattering of various hydraulic fittings since the steering system was British built and the autopilot pump was installed here in the states.
I was involved in car racing for many years and I've found that motorsport suppliers, such as Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies, can be a good source of metric or British fittings and fasteners. Many (most?) formula racing cars in the U.S. and Canada are built in the UK, and vintage racing remains popular, so suppliers like Pegasus sometimes even have fittings that are obsolete for their original purpose.
Old 24-12-2022, 10:27   #5
cruiser

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I will bookmark Pegasus and contact them next time I am in search of fittings and fasteners. I will also forward it to my father in law as he is an MG enthusiast and restores them as a hobby. Although I am betting he is already well aware of them.
Thanks again!!
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 12:36   #6

Misumi is good for metric
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 12:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
Misumi is good for metric
Excellent suggestion, I'd forgotten all about Misumi. Thanks.
Old 24-12-2022, 13:28   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Ted, you might try Baseline Marine in the UK for widgets etc:

They are just down the road from me so I just pop in, but from their website they do ship abroad. If they haven't got it on their website, ask to see if they can supply. Super helpful people.

Pete

https://www.baselinemarine.com/shopc...and%20Delivery
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 13:36   #9

Boat: 52' Cheoy Lee Motorsailer

You can also try Pacific Fasteners. They are local in Vancouver. I have had good luck getting stainless and obscure metric fasteners.

https://www.pacfast.com/
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 14:24   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Why the USA has not gone metric defies explanation.

Nonetheless, the internet is your friend, as there are a variety of websites, listing metric suppliers in the USA, far too many to post here, that can provide you with anything you want.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 15:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
You can also try Pacific Fasteners. They are local in Vancouver. I have had good luck getting stainless and obscure metric fasteners.

https://www.pacfast.com/

This is where I get my stainless bolts / screws etc from. I don’t know about pins and Other stuff.

It’s a wharehouse but You can buy at the door.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 17:16   #12

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Why the USA has not gone metric defies explanation. <Snip>
Perhaps the US will convert someday, but there is so much machinery, equipment, tools, parts, everything using the fractional system, all of which would have to change, or continue to be dealt with as different. If we were a small economy it would be more necessary, but we aren't.

But I find it interesting that there are...concessions to the other system, both ways. It's my understanding that US automobiles have all used metric threads since the beginning of the automobile for spark plugs, because back then, all spark plugs were made in Europe. And I may be wrong, but aren't all ratchet sets 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" etc? Standard sizes as I think the ratchet/ socket was invented by Snap-on.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 17:44   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I can understand why the USA has not gone metric, but as someone that went thru' the transition it was relatively easy and straightforward and a million times easier to understand.
It was a real bear to go back from metric back to imperial
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 19:40   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
Perhaps the US will convert someday, but there is so much machinery, equipment, tools, parts, everything using the fractional system, all of which would have to change, or continue to be dealt with as different. If we were a small economy it would be more necessary, but we aren't.

But I find it interesting that there are...concessions to the other system, both ways. It's my understanding that US automobiles have all used metric threads since the beginning of the automobile for spark plugs, because back then, all spark plugs were made in Europe. And I may be wrong, but aren't all ratchet sets 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" etc? Standard sizes as I think the ratchet/ socket was invented by Snap-on.

Snap-on would love you to believe that. Sockets where invented centuries ago, and combined with ratchets about 60 years before snap-on started.

P.s. the quicker imperial dies the better. Metric is so much easier.
Macdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 20:57   #15

McMaster Carr has a good selection of metric fasteners in 304 and 316 stainless. Not sure they deliver to Canada though. Prices are okay, service is fast.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware