Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 15:07   #1

Lewmar 43 Self tailing winch (circa 1980) reassembly

Dear all, I took all my winches apart for cleaning, lubrication and new pawls. My sailboat has 4 different kinds of Lewmar winches and all went back together again no problem except this pair of self-tailing single-speed Lewmar 43 (around 1980) winches. Once the drums are placed back over the spindles, the upper crown and self tailing arm are placed on top no problems. Then I am supposed to insert two semi-circular bronze collets that insert into keyways cut into the spindle to hold the whole thing together vertically and place the black plastic cap over the top and secure with four stainless screws. The thing came apart easily enough but when trying to place the black plastic cap over the collets I cannot get it to fit over the two bronze semicircular pieces as their circumference once fitted in the keyways is bigger than the recess on the cap underside that they should fit into. It looks as if the collets need to be compressed radially somehow before the cap can fit over and screws inserted. I attach photos of the general arrangement. I messed with this for over an hour including trying to compress the collets with large flat bladed screwdriver and hammer. Im going to end up damaging parts

In first photo we see upper crown and self-tailing arm placed on the drum awaiting securing with the collets and the cap and screws

In the second we see the two bronze collets inserted into the keyways in the spindle.

In the third photo we can see ho the collets should fit into the underside of the black plastic cap

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I cannot find any Lewmar service guide online that covers this model

Cheers

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	159735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2088.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	159736  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	159737  
Binkyburdett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 15:18   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Lewmar 43 Self tailing winch (circa 1980) reassembly

I have the same winches on my boat. Where did you get your rebuild kit from? something doesn't look right there. In your second picture, you seem to be using different collets than the first picture. The collets should be little and just a bit bigger than the shaft. Just enough to keep it all together. Not like what you have in the third pic.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 17:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Lift the inner shaft, the one the hex winch handle slips into. These set slightly low and need to be lifted about an 1/8th of an inch for the half moon pieces to slide in. Took me about an hour of swearing to get those pieces back in the first time I tried to reassemble them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 18:06   #4

Hi PCMM, no, they're the same collets in all pictures and all four from both winches (two on each winch) are identical. I don't think the winch has been rebuilt, think all parts are original
Old 26-11-2017, 18:08   #5

Roverhi, I'll try this, lift the inner spindle a bit. I'll let you know if it works, thanks
Old 27-11-2017, 12:42   #6

Roverhi's solution worked perfectly. Lifting the spindle slightly reveals a keyway that the collets slot into
Old 27-11-2017, 12:51   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Lift the inner shaft, the one the hex winch handle slips into. These set slightly low and need to be lifted about an 1/8th of an inch for the half moon pieces to slide in. Took me about an hour of swearing to get those pieces back in the first time I tried to reassemble them.
Oh and I thought I was the only one who had trouble getting them back together before realising what was wrong. We need a T shirt for the club.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 14:08   #8

Got the service manual as a PDF from Lewmar UK. Its too big to attach but I can email to anyone who wants it
Old 28-11-2017, 02:42   #9

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I have 14 winches onboard.

Anyone volunteering??
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 02:55   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
LOL I knew immediately what the issue was and you beat me to it.

This is why it's a good reason to disassemble, clean, and reassemble your winches when you're at the dock. If you have an issue with the winch when underway, knowing how to take it apart and put it back together correctly can be important.

Years ago on a trip back from Bermuda on someone else's boat I came on deck to discover crew having hastily disassembled a winch to fix an override. They could not get it back together because they didn't know to lift the spindle to slide the keys in. I think at some point in the chaos the self-tailing arm went over the side, too.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:10   #11

Boat: Amel 50

I recently serviced my Lewmar winches. It was recommended to do it aboard at dock to keep all the pieces in one place. It worked fine, but in spite of attempts to protect the boat, it made a mess from all the dirty grease. Any tips for keeping the boat clean while rebuilding winches?
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:30   #12
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkyburdett View Post
Roverhi's solution worked perfectly. Lifting the spindle slightly reveals a keyway that the collets slot into
Or why we love this site!
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:46   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
I recently serviced my Lewmar winches. It was recommended to do it aboard at dock to keep all the pieces in one place. It worked fine, but in spite of attempts to protect the boat, it made a mess from all the dirty grease. Any tips for keeping the boat clean while rebuilding winches?

Plenty of rags, and there should be very little grease. Maybe a teaspoon per size 43 winch?
Now I’m no expert but I really only grease the bearings lightly, everything else gets covered in Corrosion-X.
Grease seems to turn to wax pretty quickly, and I am just a fan of Corrosion-X. It is not what is supposed to be used. I’m trialing it.
I have learned that once you do it once, then after that it takes maybe ten minutes to clean and lube a winch.
I use a Lowe’s bucket and mineral spirits to clean everything, after the first time, it’s easy, first time was way overdue and I had wax grease to remove.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 08:50   #14

Boat: Amel 50

A64pilot, How do you remove any wax grease that gets on the fiberglass?
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 09:26   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
A64pilot, How do you remove any wax grease that gets on the fiberglass?

I have loads of blue masking tape and mask off the immediate area and that seems to keep almost all of it off, however if I make a mess, Mineral spirits seems to do the trick so far, and if it didn’t, my next go to would be Acetone. I don’t believe Acetone will harm fiberglass resin if just used to clean, however it’s a stronger solvent than I’m comfortable using unless it’s needed.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, self tailing, winch