Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 09:10   #16

Boat: Hunter 30
Re: Hoisted a GoPro, Can't Get It Down. Now What?

I went to home depot and bought enough lengths of metal conduit and couplers to reach. Rigged a claw on the end and rested it on the furler to help fight the bend and sway. Took 3 tries but got it. Mast is 47 feet.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 09:24   #17

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post

Just walk up there and get it. lol
Why haven't they used that in a James Bond movie?

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 09:57   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kelly View Post
Why haven't they used that in a James Bond movie? CLASSIC!!!

To the OP; How much did you smoke prior to this incident? Enough to make Bob Marley, may he rest in peace, seem like a novice? Or was it a mescal related incident?

Before you go & buy a bosun's chair, think REI instead. Take a book, & go try out some of their big wall harnesses with padded leg loops. The book is so that you have something to do while hanging on the wall for 30min. (per harness) to test if the harness works well for you & that it doesn't make your legs go numb. Oh, & try it on both in regular clothes, & when wearing your foulie pants, plus a couple of warm layers with them.

Climbing harnesses are eminently better. The 1st, & most important reason being, that should you ever get turned upside down, if they're properly worn, you can't fall out one. As the waist belt is cinched down to a size smaller than that of your hips.

Also, they're convenient to wear if/when you're up & down the mast a lot, or when sailing, etc. Unlike bosun's chairs. And they have lots of attachment points to attach other mission critical gear to. Including customized accessory pockets, etc.

One other option. You can tie an expedient harness out of webbing or rope. Takes all of 90 sec. & you already have the materials on hand.

But whatever you do, read up on how to go aloft safely. As there's more to it than a lot of people think (or practice). Such as tying the halyard to your harness, rather than using the shackle, or a locking biner through the splice.

And since you'll be up there, with a camera, take multiple pics of the masthead from every angle, including from overtop, looking down (by holding the camera over it). To include all of the sheaves/sheave boxes, blocks, fasteners, stay & shroud connections, & furling hardware.
They'll come in handy down the road when you have a question about how things up there are built. And or, that you're considering adding X, & wondering how to make it work.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 10:42   #19

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I have a guy who climbs up the mast with no lines attached, the guy must be part monkey, but he makes it look easy.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 10:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post

Just walk up there and get it. lol
Wow,just wow,reminds me of the AC DC song ,Who's got big ,well you know
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 10:49   #21

Boat: Hunter 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
To the OP; How much did you smoke prior to this incident? Enough to make Bob Marley, may he rest in peace, seem like a novice? Or was it a mescal related incident?

Before you go & buy a bosun's chair, think REI instead. Take a book, & go try out some of their big wall harnesses with padded leg loops. The book is so that you have something to do while hanging on the wall for 30min. (per harness) to test if the harness works well for you & that it doesn't make your legs go numb. Oh, & try it on both in regular clothes, & when wearing your foulie pants, plus a couple of warm layers with them.

Climbing harnesses are eminently better. The 1st, & most important reason being, that should you ever get turned upside down, if they're properly worn, you can't fall out one. As the waist belt is cinched down to a size smaller than that of your hips.

Also, they're convenient to wear if/when you're up & down the mast a lot, or when sailing, etc. Unlike bosun's chairs. And they have lots of attachment points to attach other mission critical gear to. Including customized accessory pockets, etc.

One other option. You can tie an expedient harness out of webbing or rope. Takes all of 90 sec. & you already have the materials on hand.

But whatever you do, read up on how to go aloft safely. As there's more to it than a lot of people think (or practice). Such as tying the halyard to your harness, rather than using the shackle, or a locking biner through the splice.

And since you'll be up there, with a camera, take multiple pics of the masthead from every angle, including from overtop, looking down (by holding the camera over it). To include all of the sheaves/sheave boxes, blocks, fasteners, stay & shroud connections, & furling hardware.
They'll come in handy down the road when you have a question about how things up there are built. And or, that you're considering adding X, & wondering how to make it work.
Thanks for the advice. I ordered a climbing harness last night. If I go up in a bosun's chair it'll be in addition to a harness. I have no desire to fall 50+ feet for a $150 camera. I'll go read up on the proper tie off methods you mention also.
nickfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:02   #22

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

My old tower climbing belt must have shrunk around the waist, so I went to REI and tried their harnesses, couldn't take one for more than 2 minutes. These from New Tribe look good, .New Tribe Basic Saddle [BASIC] - $149.00 : New Tribe, Tree Climbing Gear
Bill Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:24   #23

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

As well as the main halyard, you've probably also got a topping lift, and perhaps a halyard for the genoa.

I've been thinking for some time that I could do with a camera high up on the boat, as visibility isn't great from the cockpit, and even worse when I'm lying down. Raymarine want some £500-1000 for one, so I mounted my gopro to the Genoa furling for a while as an experiment. Completely forgot about it while at anchor and it sat in the Med sun for 5 days. Now harm done though.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:32   #24

Boat: Tashiba-31

Go on deck, stare straight at the camera and in a loud, confident voice say "I finally fixed that to never come down!"

It will be down by morning.

Works for me.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:42   #25

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Interesting replies here.

Here's how I got one down that went to the top because it was loose as I handled a sail on Deck.

Tie a large magnet to the main halyard with another line or sheet to guide it and get it down again. Don't want two up there.

Use the second line as a guide to get the magnet close enough. Worked for me the first try. Nothing but the shackle is ferris enough for the magnet to work with.

The magnet I used can be found at harbor freight and is about 4"X2" and very powerful.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 12:06   #26

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
I have a guy who climbs up the mast with no lines attached, the guy must be part monkey, but he makes it look easy.
Ain't really that tough. Though going up the headstay foil is a lot easier than the shrouds. And if the halyards are all clipped to the base of the mast, then you've got lots to work with for climbing. When you're spinning big winches, & humping huge sails around all of the time, you tend to stay in shape.

I've snaked up a 100' headstay with a beer in my back pocket, & a gin & tonic in a pastic cup in my teeth, simply because it was cocktail hour, & my best mate, the bowman, was missing out. As right then, he was fixing something up at the masthead. So I gave him his G&T, opened my beer, & enjoyed making one of those priceless memories/living the good life.

Bill Seal, thanks for the link. And it's good to see I'm not the only one who shops at arborists suppliers. Things seem to be cheaper when they're not being sold by someone who sells nautical/recreational marine gear.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 12:40   #27

Boat: Pearson 530

Tie a grappling hook to the other halyard and raise it up to snatch the go pro. I've seen these hooks on line but can't seem to find one now.

All U Get
Old 24-07-2017, 12:54   #28

Boat: Nauticat 32

Maybe some nearby marina has a mast lifting crane.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 15:03   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
Wow,just wow,reminds me of the AC DC song ,Who's got big ,well you know
I had a masthead problem and Rory from Vliho yacht club Greece went up and down 3/4 times in an after noon with just a halyard as safety. He climbed all the way! Tough guy.
Oh yes you could also use the topping lift!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 17:41   #30

Boat: Pearson 530

Do a search for retrieving lost halyards, I got ten hits.

All U Get