Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 21:36   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Harken Backstay Adjuster

I'm in the process of overhauling my Harken B503 Backstay Adjuster and I'd like to replace the thrust (on the Harken exploded view of the parts, they call it a 'trust' bearing). I've written Harken about where to find the part but haven't heard back from them. The thrust portion of the bearing is attached to the collar. I think the internal needle bearing could be removed and replaced easily enough.

By the way, I have yet to find a really good on-line source for bearings and seals. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backstay Adjuster Thrust Bearing.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	84875  
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 17:59   #2

Boat: corbin39
Re: Harken Backstay Adjuster

I rebuilt my adjuster about 4 years ago I got the bearing at a local bearing shop . The bearing is one peace its called a combination bearing harken wanted about 300 $ for the bearing I paid about 60 $ for it .I got the seals, bearing shim and o rings from harken they were cheap from them
B-Baysailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 18:24   #3

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Harken Backstay Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Baysailer View Post
I rebuilt my adjuster about 4 years ago I got the bearing at a local bearing shop . The bearing is one peace its called a combination bearing harken wanted about 300 $ for the bearing I paid about 60 $ for it .I got the seals, bearing shim and o rings from harken they were cheap from them
Thanks! That's very helpful. I don't know if Harken is still selling the parts as the adjusters have been discontinued.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstay adjuster, Harken