Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2009, 04:58   #1
RJV

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Problem with Navtech-22 Hydraulic Integral Backstay Adjuster

I have a Navtec-22 (part A370-LE-022) Hydraulic Integral Backstay Adjuster fitted to my yacht.

Recently it developed a fault …. although the unit held its pressure OK, and there were no signs of any fluid loss, pumping the adjuster handle had almost no effect, and bleeding possible air from the unit had no effect.

I thus removed the unit from my yacht to have it checked and repaired.

After nearly 3 weeks the unit has still not been repaired, as the repairer has been unable to obtain a technical (section) drawing of the adjuster locally or through the Australian Navtech distributor. The contractor is appropriately equipped and skilled to undertake the repair, but I understand that there is a "grub-screw" or "plug" (at this stage I can't be more specific than this) which has seized on the outside of the cylinder and in the absence of a sectional drawing it is particularly difficult for the contractor to progress the repair without risk to damaging the unit.

Does anyone have or can get a sectional drawing of this unit so that the repair can be progressed? I have emailed Navtech world HQ in the USA to see if they can oblige and I am awaiting a response. I'm in Australia and I'm not hopeful that Navtech will come through on this, sadly.

I am otherwise pleased with the performance of the unit and as it is barely two years old it ought to be repairable. The repairer intends to disassemble the unit and install a new Navtec seal kit which he has on hand.

Thanks.
RJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 05:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I don’t know if any of these will help with your Navtec-22 (part A370-LE-022) Hydraulic Integral Backstay Adjuster:

http://www.navtec.net/docs/Series7.pdf

http://en.lewmar.com/pdfs/A370.xls

http://www.americanriggingsupply.com...cBackstay1.pdf

NAVTEC Rigging Solutions

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 05:52   #3
RJV

Thanks Gord May, but these docs are more aligned to sales brochures/operating instructions ..... and don't show a sectional (or "internal") view that we are needing.
Regards.
Old 26-07-2009, 20:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Hmm. I THINK I may have some stuff on ours on the boat. Unfortunately, we won't be back down until next weekend...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 16:37   #5
RJV

Well, the repairer has managed to disassemble the unit and effect some repairs, and I've installed the adjuster back on my boat.

But I'm not sure it's performing as it should.

When I pump the handle the first 50 to 60% of the handle's stroke doesn't achieve anything - only the last 50 to 40% actually pumps fluid. It doesn't feel like it has air in it - it just feels like the handle doesn't "engage" the pump until late in the stroke.

And it also takes about 25 strokes to retract the RAM's piston about one inch (or 25mm) .... which seems like it's "underperforming". It's doing the job .... but is it meant to be this slow?

The literature says nothing about this.

Can anyone tell me how their RAM performs so I can compare with mine.

Thanks.
Old 29-07-2009, 17:08   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Mine sometimes works like you describe--I find that if I slow down, it seems to engage sooner. It does take a long time to retract a few inches--probably 100 strokes for 4 inches even on a good day. I had to have it rebuilt about 4 years ago because it leaked, and it was done in Turkey by a non-Navtec-certified rigger.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 04:20   #7
CLOD

Boat: none
My also takes a while to pump up. I would think it is a better and safer design for it to pump slow instead of fast.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstay adjuster