Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 08:51   #1

Harken 40 Jammed

We have a Harken 40 winch that is jammed when using a winch handle but turns slightly by hand. We got the central screw off but can't seem to slide the socket assembly off.

Looking for suggestions. The boat is a 2007 Lagoon 380 S2 that is new-to-us, so not sure on what caused the winch to seize up.
BrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Harken 40 Jammed

Most likely it is a broken paw or paw spring. Normally just fiddling with it, back and forth, up and down, willl eventually work it free. Just don't put I think back together until it's fixed.

This is one of those 'it just depends' cases, sometimes you can get to the bolts and remove the winch, sometimes you need to identify where's it's sticking and just root around with a stiff wire (coat handlers work well) to knock it free.

If everything else fails give Harken a call, they have the best customer service in the industry and may be able to walk you thru it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:51   #3

Thanks Stumble, just slowly fiddling, few bangs with a mallet and some back and forth worked it free.

Pulled it apart, degreased and greased it back up and it is as good as new!
BrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 01:06   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB View Post
Thanks Stumble, just slowly fiddling, few bangs with a mallet and some back and forth worked it free.

Pulled it apart, degreased and greased it back up and it is as good as new!
if one has jammed - you might as well do all the others - they'll need it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 01:32   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Note that there are a few winches out there, made by a number of companies, which have parts that seemingly fit properly whether they are, or if the part's installed upside down/180 deg. reversed. And the only way that you know that the part's not installed correctly, is that once the winch is assembled, either it won't turn, or is super stiff to trun. So if you run into a stiff winch, post overhaul & re-lubing, this is something to check. As well as it's manual, & calling customer service if you're really stuck. That & walk the docks looking for any professionals, whether they're working on winches that day or no, as they'll likely be of some assistance.

As Skip Novak wrote: "You can spot'em by that bone deep tan, & a smile that says 'I got it made' ".
Um, guilty (sometimes) And gleefully so!!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 07:14   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Winch maintenance tips as suggested to me by an “old salt” years ago and followed since:

1. Obtain a cardboard box somewhat larger than the winch and cut a round hole in the bottom such that it can be set down over the winch (to catch and retain any parts or springs that “pop off” as the winch is dis- or reassembled after cleaning);

2. Place a sheet of plastic—perhaps a white trash bag--covered with an old towel or other “rag” on the deck next to the winch/box where parts can be laid out as they are removed from the winch:

3. With your “smartphone” (an oxymoron) camera or other digital camera, take a snap of the winch at each stage as it is disassembled to record where/how the parts should be replaced after cleaning (in the original telling the camera was a “Polaroid” if anyone happens to remember those);

4. Remove the cap, barrel, and parts sequentially (using the camera protocol described above at each stage) and place them one-by-one, in order, on the “holding cloth” next to the box (screws, pawls and springs in small plastic containers, in sequence);

5. For cleaning, I use a plastic bucket for the larger parts and a small plastic dish for smaller parts with mineral spirits. Clean the parts sequentially, taking them up and replacing them one-by-one from their positions on the holding cloth. Some of the caked on grease may require a scrub with a small stainless steel brush, smaller parts with a piece of bronze “wool” (in no case common steel!).

6. Once cleaned and dried, it has been my practice to spray all of the bearing parts of the winch with SailKote and then to apply a light coat of winch grease to the shafts and bearings or 3-in-1 oil to the springs and pawls as they are reassembled, one-by-one, in the reverse order from their removal. The photos, mentioned above, help if there is any question concerning position or orientation of the parts.

We go through this exercise annually, every Spring, with 11 Lewmar winches and have yet to have a problem.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Harken