Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2011, 09:25   #16

Re: Forestay Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas. To clarify, there are no turnbuckles on the lower part of the split backstay, the only backstay turnbuckle is about 12' above the cockpit, located above the split backstay. I hope there is a turnbuckle near the bottom of the forestay that I can expose by raising the furling foil a bit, seems like there should be one. Based on your advice, if there is no forestay turnbuckle, I'll use a halyard to see if I can get enough slack to get the lower forestay pin out (& back in) and if not, use a ladder in the cockpit to loosen the backstay turnbuckle. I know it is a simple rig, but running by the forum forst yielded some good ideas. Thanks!
What furler is this? I dont know that I've ever seen a boat without a headstay turnbuckle. There must be a way to get at it... But basically, just go down there and try the halyard and see if you get some slack... alot depends on how tight the rig is set up now.... A warm day might help!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 16:28   #17

Boat: grampian 26

What I did; I looked up "rig tuning" and did the prebend set up in the opposite direction.
I shackled a longish strop to the stem head and clipped both the spinnaker and jib halyards to the other end, shoved a 3 foot piece of broom handle between the lines and hoped I wouldn't collapse the sheaves.I wound it up until my friend could slide the pin in.
Spanish windlass?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 05:33   #18

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

New plan: After talking to the Hood, they no longer offer the continuous loop furling line with a splice in it, but will provide splicing instructions if you buy their 60 furling line for $155.00. Being splice-impaired, I called a rigger and for $30.00 he will splice the new furling line and also quoted $72.00 for 60' of 3/8"Sta Set X furling line, which is a great price. No need to disconnect the forestay. Thanks for all the advice and I may end up using some of it when I replace the furling centering clamp this weekend.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote