Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 07:29   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi
Does RigRite Inc Exist? In search of Amiot parts

I'm trying to source new sliders for my Amiot cars on a FP Lavezzi. The only place I seem to be able to find any information or the part identified is on a site called Rigrite Inc, based in the US.

However, they don't seem to answer any phone messages left for them, nor faxes (they don't take emails) for information or prices which aren't listed on the web pages. Amazingly incommunicado!

Having done a bit of a search, I see someone else had exactly the same problem back in 2012 and am now suspicious that they are defunct.

So do they still trade and if so how have people been able to talk to them?

Alternatively, has anyone got another trader that may be able to help?
Stewart135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:37   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Does RigRite Inc Exist? In search of Amiot parts

Is the below workaround a solution for your problem?

Amiot/Goiot Genoa car refurbishment
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:03   #3

Sadly not. I've already got the later version aluminium rollers.

What I'm looking for are the sliders for the rail which you can see as black U shapes that the car sits on
Old 03-10-2015, 08:08   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've bought from them recently, Unless it just happened I'd suspect they're still going.
I do have a hunch they're a very small company, so its possible that they may have taken vacation.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I've bought from them recently, Unless it just happened I'd suspect they're still going.
I do have a hunch they're a very small company, so its possible that they may have taken vacation.
How did you manage to communicate with them? Fax or phone?
Old 03-10-2015, 08:40   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Phone

It took two or three call, all same day, but they answered and were very helpful
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Phone

It took two or three call, all same day, but they answered and were very helpful
Thanks. Then I will persist!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:40   #8

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"

Despite other comments-RIG-RITE DOES EXIST-unfortunately. Their website gives you the expectation that they will have what they say they have and sell it to you. Unfortunately, the real experience of many is that they are horrible communicators, despite promises to get back to you and rarely respond to,left voicemails, are very slow in processing any order that they do in fact accept and are outrageously expensive. So, I recommend not making any attempt to do anything with them.
Though I have experienced all of the above, I am, by no means alone, and I'm a professional rigger. Cheers.

I do recommend Sailing Services in Miami, though their offerings are somewhat different-they will try to find what you need.
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:58   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesail View Post
Despite other comments-RIG-RITE DOES EXIST-unfortunately. Their website gives you the expectation that they will have what they say they have and sell it to you. Unfortunately, the real experience of many is that they are horrible communicators, despite promises to get back to you and rarely respond to,left voicemails, are very slow in processing any order that they do in fact accept and are outrageously expensive. So, I recommend not making any attempt to do anything with them.
Though I have experienced all of the above, I am, by no means alone, and I'm a professional rigger. Cheers.

I do recommend Sailing Services in Miami, though their offerings are somewhat different-they will try to find what you need.
!!!DITTO!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:46   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Rig-Rite Inc. - Masts, Booms, Spars, Rigging, and Hardware for Sailboats.

Does this help?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 15:32   #11

Boat: 2 tris and others

I recently bought some parts from Rig Rite, so yes, they are still around. This is "boat show" season, and they might very well be working a show. The phone is answered as "Kenyon", so I expect they are part of their operation, what ever that has become. Yes, their prices are high, but they seem to be able to get most parts I have tried them on, and "someone" in the company seems to know about boats, but maybe not the person that answers the phone. They did respond to my e-mail inquiry, but it took a couple of days. Since they are one of the few sources left for many of the old boat parts, I am not complaining.
B
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 16:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
I recently bought some parts from Rig Rite, so yes, they are still around. This is "boat show" season, and they might very well be working a show. The phone is answered as "Kenyon", so I expect they are part of their operation, what ever that has become. Yes, their prices are high, but they seem to be able to get most parts I have tried them on, and "someone" in the company seems to know about boats, but maybe not the person that answers the phone. They did respond to my e-mail inquiry, but it took a couple of days. Since they are one of the few sources left for many of the old boat parts, I am not complaining.
B
Interesting. What email address did you manage to track down to use?

To Mainesail - thanks. I'll try them tomorrow morning.
Old 04-10-2015, 16:34   #13

Boat: PT-11

Avoid them like the plague. I ordered a bunch of hatch parts. Most of them were not even close to the right shape or size. Return was like pulling teeth until I threatened to dispute the credit card charge. Then they suddenly answered emails. They claimed I didn't return parts that I did and calculated a refund subtracting those items and other ones without explanation. They stopped answering calls and emails. I wrote off hundreds of dollars.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 16:34   #14

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Checking the RigRite website I see it was updated a few weeks ago, so someone is maintaining the site and presumably being paid to do so.
It's been about 12 years since I last placed an order with RigRite, and that went very well. They delivered on time with a quality product - masthead halyard sheaves. In my case I was able to talk directly with person responsible for the product. I didn't have to depend on a call back.

I know several people who tried to do business with them without sucess. The problem appears to be the person who answers their phone. I suspect she is the wife or daughter of one of the principals and is unfireable. This poor service appears to be a specialty of New England-based marine companies. Ask any Perkins engine owners who've had to deal with Foley Engines.

So I'd take MainSail's advice and try other suppliers and use RigRite only as a last resort.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 21:54   #15

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

Had mixed experiences with Rig Rite in the past - very hard to contact and not very responsive to "little stuff" such as parts for Moonlite hatches. I think they are the only US dealer. Anyone have any other sources for Moonlight hatch parts or new units? If they are out of business, that would explain the lack of response to questions on my order.
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, parts