Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2008, 09:36   #1
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
creaking lines

Any one know what the creaking in the lines are? I believe it is the lines stretching and contracting, then transfering to the rigging through the blocks. Does anyone know any tricks to lessen it? I am using low stretch quality dbl braid on the main sheet, when it is reefed it makes alot of noise very annoying on long passages.
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 09:56   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Change a line to dyeneema and see if that helps - It should not stretch anything except your wallet.
Old 22-09-2008, 10:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1 View Post
Any one know what the creaking in the lines are? I believe it is the lines stretching and contracting, then transfering to the rigging through the blocks. Does anyone know any tricks to lessen it? I am using low stretch quality dbl braid on the main sheet, when it is reefed it makes alot of noise very annoying on long passages.

Mine do the same and I have found that it is the salt in the air that makes the lines creak. I am not sure if this is accurate, but I do know everytime I hose the lines down with fresh water (after I soaked them in a 5 gallon bucket and cleaned them, that they would remain quiet for 2-3 weeks.

Try giving them a bath in fresh water.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 11:03   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Clean the lines, then let them soak overnight in fabric softener. That will make them pliable, lessen creaking and they sure will smell good, too.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 12:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Mine do the same and I have found that it is the salt in the air that makes the lines creak. I am not sure if this is accurate, but I do know everytime I hose the lines down with fresh water (after I soaked them in a 5 gallon bucket and cleaned them, that they would remain quiet for 2-3 weeks.
Try giving them a bath in fresh water.
Michael
Since Sodium Chloride (Salt) has a very low vapor pressure, and will not evaporate or sublime except at exceedingly high temperatures; I don’t expect that sea air would be normally “salty”. Accordingly, in benign conditions, we shouldn't experience "salt air".

However, the action of wind & waves can throw very tiny droplets of salt water into the air. When the salt-water evaporates, it leaves nano scale particles of sodium chloride dispersed in the air, which could condense on your lines.

As Michael suggests, a vigorous fresh-water rinse should cleanse them.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 12:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Since Sodium Chloride (Salt) has a very low vapor pressure, and will not evaporate or sublime except at exceedingly high temperatures; I don’t expect that sea air would be normally “salty”. Accordingly, in benign conditions, we shouldn't experience "salt air".

However, the action of wind & waves can throw very tiny droplets of salt water into the air. When the salt-water evaporates, it leaves nano scale particles of sodium chloride dispersed in the air, which could condense on your lines.

As Michael suggests, a vigorous fresh-water rinse should cleanse them.

At what point do droplets become vapor?
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 14:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
At what point do droplets become vapor?
Liquid droplets become Gaseous Vapour when they Vapourize, or Evapourate; generally under highly elevated temperatures.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 14:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Dittos on the fresh water rinses and then a soak in water with a bit of fabric softener.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 17:20   #9

Sometimes the lines aren't adjusted properly. If you've got all the lines lack and one of them is creaking incredibly, bringing the others in to help will reduce the shock loading on the one.

Sometimes you can make it so that the aft lines (if you sleep in the bow) are the ones doing most of the work, etc.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote