Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 15:51   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Code 0 Furling

I've decided to go with a Code 0 on my new 47 catamaran. I'm looking for the right furler. The sail will be about 1100 square feet, made of lightweight composite with a UV stripe so I can leave it up for several days at a time. Its intended use is in light to moderate winds. North has recommended a bottom up furler. Quantum, a top down. I plan on getting one that can be either but wonder of the advantages and disadvantages of each for the Code. The bottom up approach would not require a torsion rope which will help in stowing the sail. I'd read the top down furler may be easier to furl given the size. I don't want to run the furling line all the way back to a winch as that is a bit awkward on my cat. Suggestions please.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 20:33   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Code 0 Furling

I use a top down furler, works as it's meant to, no need for winch, not sure how you would use one with a continuous line furler.

The guys I know that have code zeros on their cats just have a short continuous line and furl up the front, it's important to keep tension on the line with abit of bungy cord or something similar.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 04:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Normally a bottom up furler is used for code zero's ( or sails with the torsion rope inside the straight luff of the sail ). Top down furlers are normally used for Asymmetrical spinnakers where the luff is not attached to the torsion rope.
You can also use a top down furler for an internal luff rope sail, would possibly give a tighter furl up high, but is slower to furl as it takes quite a few turns before the top starts to move.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 06:53   #4

The reason I'm going with the Code 0 instead of Asym is to get a very good furl so I can leave it up when I'm cruising and don't have to take it down every time I furl it. A fellow Sense 50 owner just completed a 10,000 mile trek around the south pacific and he said he used his code 0 most of the time. He kept it permanently mounted forwarded of the genoa with a UV strip. Said the sail was toast after a couple years but attributed that to its heavy use. It looked like he used a bottom up furler.
Old 18-12-2018, 07:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
Normally a bottom up furler is used for code zero's ( or sails with the torsion rope inside the straight luff of the sail ). Top down furlers are normally used for Asymmetrical spinnakers where the luff is not attached to the torsion rope.
You can also use a top down furler for an internal luff rope sail, would possibly give a tighter furl up high, but is slower to furl as it takes quite a few turns before the top starts to move.
Hi Phil, your correct (of course). Mine is a bottom up furler.

As to the last poster commenting you can leave them up permanently with a uv strip this is sort of true but not always ideal.They can come unfurled in heavy winds if not furled perfectly, i had this happen to me. Wind got under part of the top of the sail and it partially came unfurled. Getting it down in 25k+ was exciting.

If therrs any chance of strong wind I pull mine down.
Old 18-12-2018, 07:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

If the sail was toast after two years then it is likely the fabric wasn't suitable. The sailmakers you mention often use laminated CZ materials that are designed for racing around the buoys in the weekend, not for offshore cruising. We use a lot of Contender storm lite and Dimension CPP (cruise precision polyester), both are woven polyester materials designed for cruising code zeros and can support a UV cover. On big catamarans its possible to use lightweight cruising laminates for screecher type sails. The specificity CZ laminates are generally designed for racing sails or weekend cruisers.
Old 18-12-2018, 07:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Phil, your correct (of course). Mine is a bottom up furler.

As to the last poster commenting you can leave them up permanently with a uv strip this is sort of true but not always ideal.They can come unfurled in heavy winds if not furled perfectly, i had this happen to me. Wind got under part of the top of the sail and it partially came unfurled. Getting it down in 25k+ was exciting.

If therrs any chance of strong wind I pull mine down.
No, there is always a risk the middle can catch the wind and pull out while pulling the top and bottom in tight. Then it flogs itself to death. I've also seen this happen to headsails on regular furlers in 50knots +..
I try and use the biggest torsion rope that will fit the furler to give the tightest furl and reduce the risk.
Old 18-12-2018, 10:21   #8

I would not leave it up except when I'm on the boat. It has been suggested to also use a sail tie to secure it.
Old 18-12-2018, 11:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
I would not leave it up except when I'm on the boat. It has been suggested to also use a sail tie to secure it.
I use a sail tie as well as cleat the furling line off. I also make sure I get a nice tight furl each time.

Leaving it up also adds more windage up front,its makes a difference at anchor particularly as mine is quite close to the furled headsail.
Old 18-12-2018, 11:25   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have a code zero on a 46 ft monohull with the selden CX continuous line furler system. It took me a while to work out the best technique to furl it. But now it works fine. I lead the furling line all the way to the cockpit but never needed a winch.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 01:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeew View Post
I have a code zero on a 46 ft monohull with the selden CX continuous line furler system. It took me a while to work out the best technique to furl it. But now it works fine. I lead the furling line all the way to the cockpit but never needed a winch.
Hi, can you elaborate on what you think is the best technique?

I've been using mine for approximately 12mths,really like it but still learning.

I run my furling line back to the pushpit but I actually furl it from the deck just forward of the cockpit. I do this because I can sit down, brace a leg against a Stanchion and control the process better.
Old 19-12-2018, 03:33   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I usually sail singlehanded and these thoughts are based on that situation. Most of my problems while learning could be removed with a second pair of hands. The first thing I learned was to fuel while on a close reach, then not to use my code zero much above 12 kts or so. Pretty soon above that furling becomes a handful. I like being able to fuel without leaving the cockpit so a longer continuous line was needed than I started with. Some of the releaseable double fairleads help to keep things smooth. Selden also makes a double cleat block “PBB50” double fiddle that helps to keep pressure on the free part of the furling line while furling. Otherwise I needed two hands to keep pressure on the roller. Without pressure, when it gets windy the sail would unfurl, again requiring two hands. The lazy side sheet would stoop down over the furler as the sail rolled in, occasionally fouling the furler. This is what made solo furling difficult. Eventually I worked out a small loop of shock cord to keep a bit of tension as I roll up tha sail. I considered deck cam cleats for this but the shock cord loop releases the sheet when the furling is done and the sheet needs slack to wrap around the sail. I know this is a wordy explanation but all the videos I saw about code zero sails never mentioned this issue.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 05:51   #13

I use the small shock cord as well. I cleat the furling line off when not using it.

Tags
furling