Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2018, 09:02   #1

Boat: Kaufman 47
Stanchion Tubes

I am wanting to purchase new 1" stanchion tubes for our boat about 28-30" tall. The Vetus ones are 316 stainless for around $100. Garhauer sells them for $45 but they are 304 stainless. Does anyone know if the two grades make a difference? Do the 304 rust/tarnish faster? Is the 316 Vetus ones worth it?
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 09:05   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Stanchion Tubes

Garhauer uses the same tube for their davits, and I never had a rusting issue with them. I'd think the 304 would be fine.

Matt
Old 17-12-2018, 09:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Garhauer uses the same tube for their davits, and I never had a rusting issue with them. I'd think the 304 would be fine.

Matt
Thanks Matt, much appreciated.
Old 17-12-2018, 09:43   #4

316 is better, but with care either is fine. What is just as important is how well polished they are. A mirror like polish will corrode much less than just a simple chemical polish which appears more satin look.
Are there no options between those? Have you checked Ebay etc?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 09:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
316 is better, but with care either is fine. What is just as important is how well polished they are. A mirror like polish will corrode much less than just a simple chemical polish which appears more satin look.
Are there no options between those? Have you checked Ebay etc?
Well, Suncor has some but they are more expensive for 304 than Garhauer. I'm wanting to run NER STS synthetic line through these so I need sleeved or solid lifeline holes. I'm spending money, so I'd like to do it once. But, I need 12 stanchions and that's a huge difference between the two brands in price.
Old 17-12-2018, 10:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Well, Suncor has some but they are more expensive for 304 than Garhauer. I'm wanting to run NER STS synthetic line through these so I need sleeved or solid lifeline holes. I'm spending money, so I'd like to do it once. But, I need 12 stanchions and that's a huge difference between the two brands in price.
Do these fit? 316 SS, tapered, $35 one or two hole...
https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fis...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 17:15   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

We went to a junkyard and found 316 ss tubing that matched our old stanchions base size. They were selling it for about $3.50 a pound. It had come from a hospital that was reworking their oxygen supply system. We got enough to re-do all our stanchions (eight?) for about $60. We did have to cut the pieces to length, drill them for the mid-level lifelines and add Sea-Dog fittings at the tops for the upper lifeline and to finish them off so they looked nice. It was well worth the hour and a half it took to do the work and install them.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 07:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Do these fit? 316 SS, tapered, $35 one or two hole...
https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fis...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks, I asked a question about the tubes on that site to see if the lower hole is sleeved or not. But they look like a good price.
Old 18-12-2018, 07:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
We went to a junkyard and found 316 ss tubing that matched our old stanchions base size. They were selling it for about $3.50 a pound. It had come from a hospital that was reworking their oxygen supply system. We got enough to re-do all our stanchions (eight?) for about $60. We did have to cut the pieces to length, drill them for the mid-level lifelines and add Sea-Dog fittings at the tops for the upper lifeline and to finish them off so they looked nice. It was well worth the hour and a half it took to do the work and install them.
Thanks for the tip, but honestly we're ready to get going at this point so searching our nearest yard probably won't be happening. A couple years ago, I'd be singing a different song.