Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 08:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Can I remove this pin on my deck plate?

Another thing to consider, this is a stainless steel pin in an aluminum mast. This combination is famous for setting up a galvanic corrosion that will freeze stainless things like screws, bolts and pins in the aluminum so firmly you would think they were welded in place.

Over the years I have hammered or drilled out dozens of SS fittings in masts and other aluminum castings that had become completely frozen in place.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:01   #17

I don't see any turning blocks attached to the mast collar but if this is the case the bolt would act as a stopper and prevent the collar from pulling up away from the deck. It would also limit the distance the deck could flex if the collar is attacked to the deck.
I have also seen this arrangement below the coach roof where two tangs are bolted to the mast and the tangs then attached to the mast collar.

Just a thought.

Brian
BrianGJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:28   #18
Marine Service Provider

It doesn’t appear that this “pin” (bolt?) does anything. It looks like it is seized in by corrosion (aluminum vs stainless steel) and that’s why it won’t turn easily. If this is left unattended it might weaken the mast at deck level. Several respondents to this question refer to the first picture as the “mast step”.

This clearly is not the mast step but is the leaking cabin-top deck collar that the Jebndeb want to fix. You can even see the deck finish with the smooth separation strip (sometimes called a water-way) running fore and aft. In fact Jefndeb does post a picture of the actual mast step which is clearly mounted on the keel and not the same item shown in the first picture. As someone noted the mast collar appears to be too large for the mast section making it difficult to adequate seal it from leakage.

I suppose enough goop could be troweled in the void but the only real fix would be to pull the mast and replace the collar with one of the right size. Filling that void with enough goop would still allow the mast to shift and contort the goop which probably would then just start leaking again.

Perhaps the void could be filled with hardwood partner wedges and a boot installed to seal the area but I’ve never had much luck with mast booths. Even duct tape, replaced at a regular intervals, works better than a boot. The best is the two-part mixture made for this purpose. It’s expensive, but I’ve haven’t had a leak in over 12 years. I wouldn’t recommend this material for a void that wide however, maybe no more than a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

Note: This forum could be more informative if respondents would actually read the question (remember RTFQ) look at any photos or drawings, think about what you have read and are looking at and then craft your responses. In Command and Staff College they teach you that the purpose of a memo is inform not to further confuse.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:31   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Short answer, until you definitively know what the pin's purpose is, leave it. Simply seal it in place with some silicone for now. Though in point of fact it can't leak much, so look for other ways that water's entering your boat.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:38   #20

Not sure of the pin, but I believe you need a wedge and seal kit like this.
Spartite Mast Partner Support/Sealer Kits - Mast Boots & Tape - Rigging Accessories - Sailboat Hardware & Rigging - Downwind Marine
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 11:43   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Tailwheel nailed the purpose of the pin. The load of the shrouds tries to pull in the sides of the hull and the deck tends to lift as a result of the pressure on keel stepped masts. Many boats use a tie rod connecting the deck to the mast below decks. The pin does the same thing keeping the deck from lifting. Loosening the shrouds will probably remove the decks upward pressure on the pin and make removing it easier.

Are you sure the deck plat is leaking and not the space between the deck plate and the mast. Might try Spar-Tite (sp) to fill in the space between the collar and the mast.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 11:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
I have leaks in my mast deck plate and need to re bed the plate but there is a ss pin that is installed that I need to pull in order to lift the deck plate, it's a keel step mast and I really am not sure why this pin is there, I can tell there is pressure on the pin as I cannot rotate it.
Do I need to loosen all the rigging to remove the pressure in order to pull the pin?Attachment 134316
The pin seams to be a gauge or indicator that your mast is in proper position. I would loosen the rigging and try to move the pin, or lift the mast just enough to see if that pine can be loosened. Or the other option is to remove the mast or lift it high enough to lift and clean and re-bed the deck fitting.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 12:05   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
I am not a rigger, however my opinion is:
1: the pin is there to prevent the cabin house roof from flexing too much once you tighten the rig. Therefore:
2: loosen the rig a little. Then you should find there will be less pressure on the pin and it will be easier to remove.
3: then remove the plate, re-bed it (I like butyl tape) then put everything back in the reverse order you took it off.
One caution: if the deck is cored, and you find the core is exposed once you remove the plate, I would tele this opportunity to pot and seal the core with thickened epoxy per Mainesail's articles in compass marine how to web site.
He may be able to have some over weight friends to stand on the cabin top to remove and replace the pin. I agree with you on the purpose of the pin. If it is keel stepped I doubt going through removing to mast is necessary.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 12:25   #24

Your mast is keel stepped.

The mast collar is of correct size and normally would have wooden or hard rubber chocks to prevent it from pumping at deck level.

Some boats use a tie rod, from underside of deck to mast step, as C&C to hold the deck DOWN to counteract the pull from halyards that go to deck blocks. The pin could do the same thing i.e. keep the deck from lifting from the pull of the halyard blocks on deck.

While you are at it clean out the weeping hole at the aft face of the bottom of the mast.
A pipe cleaner works well. You may have a little water entering the mast at the masthead. This is normal.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 12:39   #25

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
I am not a rigger, however my opinion is:
1: the pin is there to prevent the cabin house roof from flexing too much once you tighten the rig. Therefore:
2: loosen the rig a little. Then you should find there will be less pressure on the pin and it will be easier to remove.
3: then remove the plate, re-bed it (I like butyl tape) then put everything back in the reverse order you took it off.
One caution: if the deck is cored, and you find the core is exposed once you remove the plate, I would tele this opportunity to pot and seal the core with thickened epoxy per Mainesail's articles in compass marine how to web site.

It's to hold down the coachroof.
Old 29-10-2016, 12:52   #26

The mast is keel stepped. No idea what that pin does. But you will likely have a hard time getting it out even if it does nothing, it is likely corroded in place into the aluminum. Heat and a hammer maybe.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:49   #27

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Mate then your mast is keel steeped ...
It's usually helpful to actually READ the initial post before replying to it. The OP said the mast was keel stepped, in the first or second sentence.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 18:42   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28

Ok, thank you all, yes, my original plan this weekend was to remove the deck mast plate, clean the plate and deck from old sealant, re bed and install the departure lot I ordered, but after closer inspection we noted, as you might can see in the pic, the mast has actually sunk, the cross member that the mast sits on has sagged, you can see the separation by noting the brown stop,....what a screwed up weekend, all I wanted to do was stop the leak, now I has a major repair ....oh well.....
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 18:44   #29
Marine Service Provider

I didn't mean departure, I meant spartite kit,...stupid phone
Old 29-10-2016, 18:45   #30
Marine Service Provider

Click image for larger version

Name:	1477791930803.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	134343

Tags
deck