Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 06:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28
Can I remove this pin on my deck plate?

I have leaks in my mast deck plate and need to re bed the plate but there is a ss pin that is installed that I need to pull in order to lift the deck plate, it's a keel step mast and I really am not sure why this pin is there, I can tell there is pressure on the pin as I cannot rotate it.
Do I need to loosen all the rigging to remove the pressure in order to pull the pin?Click image for larger version

Name:	1477747689512.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	134316
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 06:47   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Can I remove this pin on my deck plate?

A pin like that usually goes through the mast step and the mast to hold the mast in place. If you need to rebed the mast step then the mast has to be pulled or at least lifted and secured so you can remove the step clean and rebed it. The rig will have to be loosened in any case. and if it was me I would pull the mast and have a clear working area. But the way it is now you don't have to pull the pin. Hope this helps.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Don't pull that pin, the keel will fall off!!!!!

Only kidding.

From the photo I can't tell for certain what that pin does. My guess is an internal part of the mast step that the mast sits over.

I had a boat with a deck stepped mast and internal halyards with a pin about that location that held the sheaves for the halyards that exited at the base of the mast but I don't see that in your photo unless they are hidden from the angle.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:12   #4

Are you saying you want to remove the pin so you can remove the mast step, and slide it up to allow for re-bedding? Do I understand that you have determined that the mast step has no "floor" that the mast sits on and is simple a collar?

It seems unlikely that the step is just a collar. Makes a whole lot more sense that the mast step extends under the mast to provide a good base.

Please clarify?
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:15   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

The mast don't fit in the step, this step is from a bigger spar section , then I guess your boat is dismasted previously or some kind of lame repairs are carried in your boat, the ss pin no idea mate but I guess is some crazy idea from a crazy rigger or previous owner.......
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:26   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Tha OP states keel stepped mast, the plate isn't really structural. I would try to turn the pin, or tap it sideways to see if there is any load on it, and if so, determine what the load is, and go from there. Lifting the plate, (which may be called a partner?), is the correct way to rebed it.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:31   #7

See the pic again, the step is for a bigger spar section, the mast its small for that step and rest inside of the step, obviously the right spar rest around the outter perimeter, there is no way to lift the step without lift the mast, sorry bad news ,,, you can goop poly stuff around but is just as lame as the step spar setup.... That funy ss pin I guess is trough a alu plate welded inside ff the step , so the mast cant dance around the step... my 2 cents....
Old 29-10-2016, 07:31   #8
Marine Service Provider

Yes, all I want to do today is to lift the mast plate and re seal, it leaks, here is a pic of the mast base at the keel, looks like a receptacl type of mast base where it's secured to the floor and the mast slides into, or around it
Old 29-10-2016, 07:32   #9
Marine Service Provider

Click image for larger version

Name:	1477751525087.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	134330
Old 29-10-2016, 07:35   #10
Marine Service Provider

Name:	1477751718918.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	134331
Old 29-10-2016, 07:36   #11
Marine Service Provider

Name:	1477751758016.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	134332
Old 29-10-2016, 07:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Yes, all I want to do today is to lift the mast plate and re seal, it leaks, here is a pic of the mast base at the keel, looks like a receptacl type of mast base where it's secured to the floor and the mast slides into, or around it
Mate then your mast is keel steeped and the deck plate work like a collar, again I don't know why use that stepp plate, that pin is something to prevent maybe that the mast section inside of your boat fall of or leave the boat in case of dismanting?? my old CSY have something similar to prevent a big hole in the deck in case if dismasting..... if the mast rest in the keel step I don't think that pin its a issue to lift the deck plate unless the mast don't rest even in the keel and that pin is holding some compression load....
Old 29-10-2016, 07:43   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

I am not a rigger, however my opinion is:
1: the pin is there to prevent the cabin house roof from flexing too much once you tighten the rig. Therefore:
2: loosen the rig a little. Then you should find there will be less pressure on the pin and it will be easier to remove.
3: then remove the plate, re-bed it (I like butyl tape) then put everything back in the reverse order you took it off.
One caution: if the deck is cored, and you find the core is exposed once you remove the plate, I would tele this opportunity to pot and seal the core with thickened epoxy per Mainesail's articles in compass marine how to web site.
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:59   #14
Marine Service Provider

Thank you all for the input, my plan is to loosen the turnbuckles a set amount and document, see if that may lessen the pin pressure and hopefully lift the plate and seal today
Old 29-10-2016, 08:19   #15

I believe there should be some kind of flexible cover/collar around the mast and over the flange portion of the 'mast step'. Or has it already been removed or slid up the mast?
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck