Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 17:28   #16

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: Boom Vang and or Topping Lift

you blokes are spoilt/ no topping lift / we have topping lift / rotary reefing main with cockpit controls / to ease the main halyard off it is necessary to have the topping lift to hold the boom up / when the main is fully raised we then clip a down haul a third of the way along the boom helps the sail hold it's shape / by adjusting both the topping lift and down haul gives the sail more belly for downwind / the reverse for upwind etc. some vessels with fixed down haul have in-mast reefing systems the topping lift has disappeared / the extra halyard nuisance as it may be is an added safety for spare main halyard, mast climbing, makeshift lazy jack etc. we added a block to the masthead with a spare front halyard that gets used for pole uphaul, spinnaker, mast climbing, lifting crane etc. extra halyards are a nuisance but very handy
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:29   #17

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Boom Vang and or Topping Lift

I prefer a vang and removal of topping lift,not only for reasons cited above,but the lack of the lift reduces windage .
I am in the market for a replacement of my current vang (simrad) and would be interested in a replacement for my 32 foot Contessa. The garhauler unit looks fine but would be interested( and purchasing ) a used unit if any here have one for sale.
Any opinions on rigid units appreciated.
Thx --- mike
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boom vang, lift