Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 21:06   #1

Boat: Oyster 435
Spinlock XTS "Lock Open" Cam

Hi there
I have a double ended mainsheet that runs to a winch on either side of the cockpit with Spinlock XTS cams that can be engaged if we need the winch for something else. Usually we dont need to use something else so the clutches remain open most of the time.
The other day we did need to use something else so we closed the clutch which snapped the clutch spring. These clutches have been in use for less than two years... I think having the spring stretched most of the time is no good for longevity. Anyway, now I need to replace the cam, why spinlock doesnt set these cams up to allow for sping replacement I will never understand...
Should I be looking at the "Lock Open Cam" for these clutches? Does the lock open cam allow for the handle to be in the closed position? I can't find any details on how they work...
Thanks
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 22:39   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Spinlock XTS "Lock Open" Cam

You may not find a "fix", if it turns out that you're asking the clutches to do more than they're designed to, but...

Try talking to;
- A rig shop which uses & services a lot of them. Especially racing oriented ones.
- Vendors who sell a lot of them. Like www.APSltd.com or www.MauriProSailing.com & many others.
- Call Spinlock directly, in addition to emailing them. And also, dig up the schematics & service manual on them.
- Post this Question/Issue over on Sailing Anarchy Forums. As there's a great depth of hardware (& other) knowledge over there http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:56   #3

Update:
I just got an email from Spinlock. I had emailed them a while ago but got impatient waiting for the reply.
They claim that the spring should not be compromised by leaving it open. They also confirmed that the "Lock Open" cam does allow the handle to remain in the closed position will the cam is open.
We'll see if we get more than 2 years out of the new springs.
Gary
Old 06-06-2016, 11:02   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeacock View Post
Update:
I just got an email from Spinlock. I had emailed them a while ago but got impatient waiting for the reply.
They claim that the spring should not be compromised by leaving it open. They also confirmed that the "Lock Open" cam does allow the handle to remain in the closed position will the cam is open.
We'll see if we get more than 2 years out of the new springs.
Gary
I think you may have had bad springs. Our boat has a German mainsheet system so the mainsheet goes through Spinlock clutches on both sides right by the sheet winches. We leave those open most of the time, and nearly 15 years on we've never lost a spring.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
I think you may have had bad springs. Our boat has a German mainsheet system so the mainsheet goes through Spinlock clutches on both sides right by the sheet winches. We leave those open most of the time, and nearly 15 years on we've never lost a spring.
Yeah. I tried to explain that to Spinlock but they claim the springs only break if the cam is over rotated. I have raced on enough boats to know how not to break a spring. Given that the spring(with required cam assembly) costs 80 bucks its one of the first things most owners tell new crew.
What irks me the most is it would be so simple for Spinlock to use 2 unscrew-able pins that would allow a simple spring replacement. Having said that, I guess they could then really increase their profit margin and charge $80 bucks for the spring alone.
Gary